Derry Road Runabout

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to receiving both Murphy Models MM1508 Irish buffet coach/snack car and Murphy Models MM1521 Irish open coach. I intend using them with my Class 141 diesel. What other coaches should I be looking out for to replicate a Lough Derg train from Dublin c. 1963-64.

1 hour ago, GNRi1959 said:

Looking forward to receiving both Murphy Models MM1508 Irish buffet coach/snack car and Murphy Models MM1521 Irish open coach. I intend using them with my Class 141 diesel. What other coaches should I be looking out for to replicate a Lough Derg train from Dublin c. 1963-64.

Hi Tony. FYI, both of those coaches are post 1987 livery with two white stripes (IE/RE livery).  Murphy did three Craven coaches in 1963-64 era livery: MM1504, MM1515 and MM1149 all of which have the single 6" white stipe.

1963 CIE livery single white stripe.

172-mm1515.jpg

Post 1987 Irish Rail Livery - Two white stripes plus orange stripe at roof level (tippex)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThx2c5L44HmDldKDnYIs9

As for other coaches to run with Cravens, the obvious ones are Park Royals and Laminates.  Options are kits from various sources, or RTR from Irish Freight Models or SilverFox. Personally I like the Park Royals from IFM which are available in resin kit form or RTR, but you would need again to specify CIE livery if going for RTR (i.e. single white stripe). In 1963 you could legitimately mix in one or two of the older 'flying snail green' CIE livery Park Royals or Laminates as not all of these had been repainted Black'n'Tan at that stage, or indeed even a silver livery HLV.

Edited by Noel

Noel, I appreciate your response and indeed everybody who has ever come to the rescue in my efforts. With every post comes a price, with every response comes a heavier price. If it comes anywhere close I'll settle for second best and if second best still provides some fun along the way, then, so be it.

I have formed the opening flap for the shed now and am using 4 x 25mm brass screws to solder my rails to make the break. I've tinned the underside of the rails that will cross the screw heads and I have liquid flux at the ready too. Is it best to solder the outside of the rails only or can I solder inside also?

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for this unusual announcement. I simply couldn't commit to landscaping an entire layout in  a shed that would never see the light of day. Having the layout take up all four walls of my shed meant I couldn't do anything else. I had no work area. I also like the idea of having a layout that I could exhibit at some point and that is where my focus is now. I do apologise for the way I broke the news, I'll be back on 'track' soon.

One of the things is like about this forum is how supportive everyone is, as exemplified above and in the way regardless of standards, folk always find words of encouragement.

Compared to my local football team's fan site, it makes a refreshing change - though that does not alter the fact that they were diabolical yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I think the beauty and thrill of seeing a GNR(i) U class or UG loco can only be captured at close quarter in a small layout - in this case an end to end layout with hidden storage and fiddle yard - rather than a continuous circuit of track.

Edited by GNRi1959

Tony

From watching your videos, the layout looks as if it could be circuit, but you seem to be saying it's end to end?

If, like me, you like to watch trains going by and what's nicer than a blue GN loco passing by - then can you adjust the layout to be an oval? 

As for the bit about putting scenery up, don't give up. I'll start a thread on Portadown Junction - 21x 17 oval (of sorts) and you can see that after FIVE YEARS not only is there not a blade of grass of scenery, but I can watch No.207 plod round with The Enterprise (it needs the weight treatment mentioned above by David White); or my little U Class with four bogies, which it's pretty happy with four bogies (without any treatment). My UG romps away with ten bogies!

I've avoided showing anyone what's in the loft as it would destroy any reputation I have, but I'll do it in the hope that it will encourage you to carry on.

You're miles ahead of me - I'm laying Portadown Goods Yard, during my enforced absence from Raheny!

KEEP IT UP!

Leslie

• Like 1

I had a massive narrow gauge empire in the attic for 14 years. Far from not having any scenery, it never had any buildings, nor even platforms! Boards and track.

Some people are happy with that, as operation is their interest. I wasn’t happy with it - I wanted full scenery. But I never got round to it, and now all the stuff is sold bar one scratchbuilt loco which I kept. 009 is gone; 00 is in progress. 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2