Sign in to follow this  
GNRi1959

Derry Road Runabout

Posted (edited)

This is a new layout that I have started from scratch in my beloved garden shed. It is based on the steam era on the Derry Road and although it has nothing at all that resembles Omagh, it is hoped that it will give have a flavour of GNRi operations there.

All track is laid and wired and thanks to two  forum members, who were very generous with their spare time, advised me  on the design and wiring of the layout - you know who you are!

Tomorrow I will fit my turntable well and hopefully start fitting and wiring the point motors.

I am pleased with how things are progressing and I promise I will post pictures soon.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Some testing carried out today on completed track work and wiring

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

Some pictures today.......

Was able to re-arrange the paintwork into the fiddle yard and all is complete at this side. A siding to the back provides storage also.

IMG_2033.JPG

Still some temporary wiring in place until I decide on the best operating side for my controller.

IMG_2034.JPG

I managed to salvage the mock up Goods Store I had and it fits well in this corner. One additional point to add to allow a siding to the rear of the platforms.

IMG_2035.JPG

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

Hi Tony. Fascinating watching the iterative evolution of this layout. Its a kaleidoscope of change as you discover what works best for you. Well done. Noel

Noel, you hit it on the head.

This layout started with the view to building Omagh and through all the frustration and setbacks with that evolved a layout that is simple, functional and leaves all to the imagination. My aim is a layout with a flavour of the steam era on the Derry Road, where my grandfather was a ganger on the permanent way, starting as a plate layer on 26 Jan 1924 and giving them 43years of service.

Plywood fitted today for 12” backscene and little ply shelf in place for controller and switches.

A5A0D0F6-4CDA-4B6B-A8D4-58C041E859FD.jpeg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

Look to be some lovely flowing curves there, while the height of the backscene will enable the viewer to really immerse themselves in the scene.

Nice!

Edited by David Holman

Thanks David, things are falling into place nicely

Edited by GNRi1959