Layout without a hinged section

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

Has anyone here got a layout in a room 'without' a hinged section at the entrance? 

I'm not that keen on starting to solder track work to copper clad strips and forming a hinged/lift off section. At the moment I'm just ducking under. Its not ideal but forming the lift off section does create problems for back scene also. Anyone got examples or photos of how they done it?

11 answers to this question

2 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Has anyone here got a layout in a room 'without' a hinged section at the entrance? 

I'm not that keen on starting to solder track work to copper clad strips and forming a hinged/lift off section. At the moment I'm just ducking under. Its not ideal but forming the lift off section does create problems for back scene also. Anyone got examples or photos of how they done it?

Yes. I crawl/duck under the side despite a bad back, but I do it carefully and slowly. Never been a problem. However I can also operate the layout from the outside edge which is not comparing like with like in your set up. I constructed my layout tables in 1993 but if I was doing it again now I’d certainly consider a narrow lifting section, but it would be a 50/50%. 

Edited by Noel

Glengarriff doesn't have a lifting section but the boards are at a height of 42 inches (107 cm I think - I'm to old to go metric!) which helps. I crawl under due to a bad back as well.

I've actually done some work on the layout today as the loft temperature is only 70F; the Monsoon is now in full swing in Haltwhistle plus Mrs B and the 'lodgers' (daughter and hubby) are away for a week in London

Ernie

A friend of mine has a layout in the large part of his loft, but the access is via the roof of a small extension, where the height is such that you have to flop sideways from the hatch, then proceed to crawl along a tunnel, about eight or ten feet long.

It's all a bit "Great Escape".

He is in his eighties now and only ventures up there for at least half a day at a time, it's too much effort to just nip up for a few minutes.

We have gently mentioned what might happen if he ever has a 'turn' up there.

We do have a cave rescue team about 30 miles away...

• Funny 1

A lift up section is well worth doing. Yes it's a bit of a pain soldering track but once it's done you will be happy you did it. Most of the layouts I do that go around a room have a hinged lift up section.

I wouldn't use copper clad sleepers, they can come away from the baseboard over time. I use brass screws, once soldered I trim them down to the width of the rail with a dremel then fill in the gap with sleepers. The best thing about using screws is once they are soldered to the rail they can't unscrew and come back out. Iv'e seen people use nails but they just come back out with expansion and contraction. 

Here's some pics of how I solder track across a baseboard joint, same principal applies for a lift up section.  (There is a joint there, it's perfectly joined together!)

2018-07-11 15.54.43.jpg

2018-07-11 15.57.17.jpg

2018-07-11 16.00.40.jpg

2018-07-11 16.01.57.jpg

2018-07-11 16.05.47.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Dave, a very nice piece of work there, a clever technique. In my case I have a double track going around the corners of the lift out section and it's not my cup of tea. However, I don't need to do it now, I can think about as it become absolutely necessary. Thanks

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Broithe said:

A friend of mine has a layout in the large part of his loft, but the access is via the roof of a small extension, where the height is such that you have to flop sideways from the hatch, then proceed to crawl along a tunnel, about eight or ten feet long.

It's all a bit "Great Escape".

He is in his eighties now and only ventures up there for at least half a day at a time, it's too much effort to just nip up for a few minutes.

We have gently mentioned what might happen if he ever has a 'turn' up there.

We do have a cave rescue team about 30 miles away...

Sounds like an exciting layout indeed

46 minutes ago, GNRi1959 said:

Sounds like an exciting layout indeed

It has got to the point now, where I don't like to induce him to go up there, just in case - but, if the opportunity presents itself, then I'll try to get some recent pictures.

All I currently have is these few from ten years ago.

The 'well' seen in the first three pictures is a sidetrack off the access tunnel.

loose 169.JPG

loose 174.JPG

loose 170.JPG

loose 171.JPG

loose 172.JPG

loose 173.JPG