Rate this topic

Irishrailwayman

• 1 month later...

Some more details of this day, from Ian Sinclair who's organizing it

Model Railway Day takes place on Saturday 10th November in the Railway gallery at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra from 10am - 5pm. The event is organised for the Museum by the Friends of Cultra with support from Ards and North Down Borough Council, P&O Ferries and Peco/Railway Modeller.

There will be over 30 layouts and associated exhibits; amongst the Irish layouts will be Andy Cundick's Castlederg (OOn3), the Ulster Model Railway Club's Lisburn (OO gauge), another working model of Lisburn built out of Lego by Ian Marshall and complete with NIR trains, South Dublin Model Railway Society's Kildare Town (OO gauge), William Redpath's Portadown (OO gauge), Curracloe (N gauge) from the Model Railway Society of Ireland, Michael O'Connor's T-Trak Impressions of Ireland (N gauge), Tony Ragg's Stanfording (O gauge) and a display of Irish O gauge locomotives scratch-built by Phil Aspinwall, including a couple of proposed locomotives which were never built.

Colm Flanagan

:

• Like 3

I'm staying in Belfast on Friday night and attending next day. Hopefully I can say hello to as many IRM members as possible.

Change of plan for Friday 9th night - Christy Dignam and Joey Jewel of Aslan acoustic show in Ardhowen, Enniskillen

On 10/24/2018 at 11:08 PM, colmflanagan said:

Some more details of this day, from Ian Sinclair who's organizing it

Colm,

I spoke to Ian at the show in Methodist College, Belfast earlier in the year and he's a really nice man. 

Edited by GNRi1959

On 11/1/2018 at 11:31 AM, Georgeconna said:

Looks good. I think I will skip the Dublin show Next year and try this instead as I have never been to the Museum yet either.

I think Cultra is on every second year? Well worth visiting the museum alone as there are railway displays (including No 800 Maedb), trams and vintage cars (including a De Lorean gull-winged car).

Edited by Irishrailwayman

NO trade - believe me, I've tried every time it has run.

Apparently the Museum does not want any there, so the only stand you're likely to see is the fellow who sells books at IRRSA meetings in Dublin - he has "Grandfather" rights!

Now, he does turn up the odd bit of interesting railway paperwork, but otherwise, Andy, you'll have a cheap weekend!

Enjoy it nonetheless! As others have said - an amazing place to have a model exhibition.

• Informative 2

Great to meet so many of our small community at Cultra this morning. I had to meet my cousins in the afternoon (non-negotiable family event!), so I left Dublin at 8 a.m., drove to Cultra (hardly any traffic!), and spent the best part of two hours there. The drive back, punctuated by a 20 minute catnap in a layby and coffee in Applegreen, had me home by 3. 

Great venue, except that the 12ins - 1ft exhibits are far too close together; photography is quite impossible. Equally, all the things in glass cases like the GSWR dining car model, or Drew Donaldson's locomotives, are also impossible to photography because of the glare on the glass. You can't even see them properly. The model of the 500 class (was that one of Montgomery's?) is hidden in a corner, impossible to view properly. The curved pathway makes a journey to the loo into a major expeditionary voyage.

But the layouts were great! And some of the static models were truly outstanding.

Looking forward to the next one!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Great to meet so many of our small community at Cultra this morning. I had to meet my cousins in the afternoon (non-negotiable family event!), so I left Dublin at 8 a.m., drove to Cultra (hardly any traffic!), and spent the best part of two hours there. The drive back, punctuated by a 20 minute catnap in a layby and coffee in Applegreen, had me home by 3. 

Great venue, except that the 12ins - 1ft exhibits are far too close together; photography is quite impossible. Equally, all the things in glass cases like the GSWR dining car model, or Drew Donaldson's locomotives, are also impossible to photography because of the glare on the glass. You can't even see them properly. The model of the 500 class (was that one of Montgomery's?) is hidden in a corner, impossible to view properly. The curved pathway makes a journey to the loo into a major expeditionary voyage.

But the layouts were great! And some of the static models were truly outstanding.

Looking forward to the next one!

Nice to see you JB - that was a mammoth effort to get to Cultra and back!  Agree with the above, would also add that generally speaking, the light isn't great in the gallery, for an event like this, as I found out to my cost when exhibiting Ballynahinch Junction back in 2010.  Most seasoned exhibitors now know to bring their own lighting but a few new exhibitors were caught out a bit today, as I was in 2010.  Highlights for me were Andy Cundick's sensational 'Castlederg' as well as the LEGO model of Lisburn!!!

Just got back from the Show (only 440 miles plus sea crossing each way)Throughly enjoyed the Castlederg behaved itself despite said trip in back of the Landie especially the drive  down from Larne when the rain was so bad i expected the ferry to pass us.Never been to the Museum before but agree that its all jammed in there a bit,still at least its there.No to get on with Courtmacsherry for Warley.Andy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

Just got back from the Show (only 440 miles plus sea crossing each way)Throughly enjoyed the Castlederg behaved itself despite said trip in back of the Landie especially the drive  down from Larne when the rain was so bad i expected the ferry to pass us.Never been to the Museum before but agree that its all jammed in there a bit,still at least its there.No to get on with Courtmacsherry for Warley.Andy

Hi Andy,  it was great to meet you at Cultra.   Your layout Castlederg was superb.  This too was my first ever visit to the museum and I would defiantly go there again.   Hope to meet you at another show in the future.

Regards,   John

It was a great day there, good to see a few familiar faces, put faces to names and a new ones as well!   It was very well attended with young and old, one of the best in the last few years actually.  There was a lot of engagement at the stand with plenty of interest and queries. 

One big thing that has changed is the lighting as they have retrofitted LED lighting and the place is far, far brighter than it used to be.  Looking forward to the next one.

20 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

It's just a great shame that you can't photograph anything in a glass case because of the glare.....

A polarising filter can reduce the reflections a bit - or a lot, if the circumstances are right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography)

When I mentioned to a staff member at Stafford station that the Arrivals and Departures screens were almost impossible to read because of reflected sunlight, his answer was "It's not our light"...

I did not manage to get many photos of other layouts at Cultra on the 10th November. A few that i did get were

Castlederg a truly impressive layout.

235753629_Castlederg1.thumb.jpg.6fe168bafddd32c6ba8fd346104dbfda.jpg

157331927_Castlederg5.thumb.jpg.46ec7fe92e07f46ead281faa6ffbcc0a.jpg

368026800_Castlederg6.thumb.jpg.8ae91d4347af2558fd05a22d54a97554.jpg

Another one was of Obins street

1152517078_ObinsStreet2.thumb.jpg.0abbb21eeedb6f0bd0fa0fb70accac01.jpg

1975735007_ObinsStreet3.thumb.jpg.eff8131845bc522e0933569a64375eb9.jpg

Some of the others have already been posted above by Irishrailwayman

MikeO

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...