Irish freight models

Rate this topic

kevo

Hi all  I have  just come back to the irish railway  model ing  seen  and would like to ask if any can tell me what has happened  to Irish freight models site  all that comes up when I search  is times for irish  ferrys  travel etc  have they stopped trade ing  they did lots of good rolling stock  thanks  kevin 😎

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kevo said:

Hi all  I have  just come back to the irish railway  model ing  seen  and would like to ask if any can tell me what has happened  to Irish freight models site  all that comes up when I search  is times for irish  ferrys  travel etc  have they stopped trade ing  they did lots of good rolling stock  thanks  kevin 😎

There is a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Irish-Freight-Models-1252098201500518/ .

It has this note on it currently - Please note the Irish Freight Models website is currently offline, the shop area can be accessed from the shop link on this Facebook page, Thanks - although, I'm not quite sure what that means.

Edited by Broithe

49 minutes ago, Broithe said:

There is a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Irish-Freight-Models-1252098201500518/ .

It has this note on it currently - Please note the Irish Freight Models website is currently offline, the shop area can be accessed from the shop link on this Facebook page, Thanks - although, I'm not quite sure what that means.

On the facebook page at the left side there is the word 'STORE' click on that and it will bring up the shop

IFM.JPG

• Informative 1

I have sent him a message on 'faecesbook' asking him for an email address which I can put on here so you can contact him direct. I have purchased a fair number of wagons from him over the years ; they aren't a patch on the Irish Railway Models items but they were the best available at the time. He also sells items on E Bay trading as helix0_8 , there is a laminate on there at the moment.

Ernie

4 hours ago, Railer said:

There was an announcement by him a few days ago that he's doing another run of Park Royal coaches so it should be still up when sorted. 

I'll definitely be in the market for a rake of these and the various laminates, the greater the variety the better. He does small quantities of 1429s, 1449 and 19xx brakes plus Park Royals from time to time in any livery from green to silvery to BnT. This period may not be as popular with some some modelers probably due to increasing lack of familiarity with the period as time continues to pass. The quality of his kits/is not perfect and the price is a little expensive but IFM does has the best variety of Irish coaching and freight stock out there (at least for now). 

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2018 at 6:50 AM, DiveController said:

......He does small quantities of 1429s, 1449 and 19xx brakes plus Park Royals..........This period may not be as popular with some some modelers probably due to increasing lack of familiarity with the period as time continues to pass. 

Hopefully the various posts on board here from time to time, plus photos of the era (and several fine layouts depicting these times) should help in this regard.

The forthcoming J15 in RTR form plays a huge part in advancing modelling this era, as they were as absolutely central to it as a 141 to the 1970s, an 071 to the 80s, a 201 to the 90s, or an ICR to today. Similarly, SSM kits of six wheelers are as essential as Cravens were 1965-95, and the elephant in the room for any layout 1950/74 is AEC railcars.

Might one dream of a RTR one?

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Hopefully the various posts on board here from time to time, plus photos of the era (and several fine layouts depicting these times) should help in this regard.

The elephant in the room for any layout 1950/74 is AEC railcars.

Might one dream of a RTR one?

I think the low level of interest in anything pre-1980 is more a matter of demographics than the lack of availability of rtr models or kits.

The Murphy Models black and tan Bo-Bos and CIE Cravens  do not appear to have sold as well as the same stock in IE livery.

This seems to be borne out with IRMs identifying a greater level of demand for IE rather than CIE era freight stock.

For anyone determined enough Worsley Works produce parts for most of the 1950s era railcars including AEC, BUT, MED.

Colin Flannigan has built a lot of 1950s stock using rtr coaches with Worsley Works sides, while Kirley has covered the building of the Worsley Works railcars in his workbench thread. 

• Like 1

The demographics question is interesting. The average age profile of internet users for example on the Railway Modellers Ireland FaceBook page and here on the IRM forum seems anecdotally lower than the average age profile in attendance at clubs and exhibitions. Perhaps the older demographic group use the internet less for information and discourse as part of their modelling activity. I'm also quite amazed at some of the smaller UK supplier web sites which seem to be from the dark ages, no online payment capability, some don't even accept credit cards by phone, PayPal, etc, very much the old 'sterling cheque/money order' and SAE era.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I had a message from Tommy Brady (Irish Freight Models) yesterday. He hopes to have another batch of 100 Park Royals (kits/RTR) available soon.....

Just a matter of sorting out the Commonwealth 8ft bogie for the Laminate.... At the moment, my options are...er....none.