Sign in to follow this  
DiveController

Correct restoration of Railwayana (Lineside Signs)

Rate this question

Question

Hi,

Can anyone who has restored a GNR or GS&WR sign such as a 'No trespassing ' one, advise on how these should be restored. The plan in mind is a wire brush, whatever undercoat comes out of a can that can be purchased in the US,  followed by a main color and some hand painted restoration of the lettering. Any advice in addition/to the contrary or advice on paints/colors?

TIA

Kevin

Edited by DiveController

16 answers to this question

Wire brush, yes, then decent black undercoat. Finish is correctly black with white lettering for GSWR, and most GNR. In GNR(B) days, some were white with red lettering, and station and lamp nameboards were yellow with black lettering.

I actually had a very large collection of all sorts of signs years ago, but unfortunately had to sell them.

• Like 1

So the wire brush is out and we'll sees what's under this..

IMG_7342.jpg

Many decades of smoke and soot removed yielded this ......

The base coat seems likely to be a 'red' (lead) oxide with the overlying black with white lettering. The paint for the latter seems more durable than the black

IMG_7362.jpg

Edited by DiveController

This is a GS&WR one which I believe to be genuine although the red oxide seems to be scarce underneath. However white lead was often used as a paint pigment/antioxidant agent in pain between the 1930s-1960s in particular. The GSWR precedes this but 'modern' pains have been around since the 1860s so who knows?

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7382.jpg

The problem is that it initially looked like this and I stripped off what seems to be a much more current latex type white paint, an attempt to restore the sign no dount. The red, green and white stripped easily with a power washer (I got tired of the wire brush) to reveal a much tougher and more adherent white paint coat seeing the first photo above. I'm not sure if this is a color applied to the sign or a white lead undercoat which would likely bond chemically to the iron resulting in durability and conferring rust resistance.

As @jhb171achill states above these were white on black background in the GW&WR era but I'm not sure how long the signs persisted before being replaced. Not likely in the GSR period, I would have thought, did they last through CIE days? And if so were they repainted at some point and into what colors? If there are any photos out there where these can been seen as line side features I'd love to see them

IMG_7357.jpg

Edited by DiveController

The green / red one looks very well! 

However that would be a paint scheme in private ownership, I would think.

Back to GSWR times, black with white writing. CIE too (and obviously the GSR) used this too, but CIE started reversing the colours in the late 1960s.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

Have this one on my side gate

1039299163_2015-06-2517_29_49.thumb.jpg.518fd5bfa8e0471610fb1a4813d205a2.jpg

THat's the way mine is going right now, Dave. Have you been able to collect on it yet?

• Like 1

Been told that this was from the Irish network back in 1845 

Anyone any info on it please?

The BY 8 etc refers to the Act being passed in the 8th regnal year of Victoria, and it was Chapter 20, Section 75 of the Act.

40 shillings then would equate to around £250 Brexit pounds.

1218284902_VICCAP201.jpg.e9c1587e26a8888f3e2b957286da364a.jpg

• WOW! 1

Can't comment on the sign but it fits the bill (literally)

RAILWAYS CLAUSES CONSOLIDATION ACT 1845 

CHAPTER XX.

75. If any person omit to shut and fasten any gate set up at either side of the railway for the accommodation of the owners or occupiers of the adjoining lands as soon as he and the carriage, cattle, or other animals under his care have passed through the same, he shall forfeit for every such offence any sum not exceeding forty shillings.

Edited by DiveController

A retired railwayman, gone to his reward years ago, told me that the men sent out to paint the signs weren't given small brushes to paint the letters. They dipped their thumbs into the paint and painted them that way.

• Like 1

So couple of hours spent cleaning and rust removal

Should I now not restore it Give it a coat of laquer or go the dog and Black & White it?

P1110029.thumb.JPG.e73ddc57a297d039427860328341dbab.JPG

P1110033.thumb.JPG.d013caa3880a051d4f72512ceb1f336b.JPG

Superb job indeed. It's not Irish, though, or from 1845; it looks to be a standard font used by the Great Western Railway in England.

I've seen many descriptions of tickets for sale on ebay, or railway signs etc in auctions, which are erroneous, either due to lack of knowledge on the part of the seller, or a fraudulent desire to make it appear more "historic" or "quaint". Also, disgracefully, modern replicas passed off as original.

The above looks very much original, by the way!

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Superb job indeed. It's not Irish, though, or from 1845; it looks to be a standard font used by the Great Western Railway in England.

I've seen many descriptions of tickets for sale on ebay, or railway signs etc in auctions, which are erroneous, either due to lack of knowledge on the part of the seller, or a fraudulent desire to make it appear more "historic" or "quaint". Also, disgracefully, modern replicas passed off as original.

The above looks very much original, by the way!

Yes it is an untitled GWR gate sign.

Oddly enough, CIE produced an enamelled gate sign in the 50s quoting the very same Victorian Act of Parliament...in English AND Irish. Just because it mentions an Act from a certain year doesn't mean it dates from that time.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

So stick with the programme people

Never said it was from 1845 but I did say I was looking for a decision as to paint or lacquer it

it is kosher as is this one also picked up recently

P1110017.thumb.JPG.3fee7db255f4a64b91aacd7a3ebca076.JPG

P1110020.thumb.JPG.250e10418ad40c109ffbf51b8b8d2ba1.JPG