GNRi Brake Van

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

16 answers to this question

When drilling holes for handrails, I always mark the exact location for the hole with a sharp point, like a needle, or the point of a compass. When 100% satisfied with the position of the hole, then make a indentation with the sharp point. This then acts as a pilot hole for the fine drill required for drilling the hole, and ensures it drills in the exact spot..  

• Like 1

Not immediately useful in this application, perhaps, but this sort of centre-punch / chisel set-up can be very useful.

You hold the working end exactly where you want it and then pull back the 'loose' end, letting it go to provide the impact.

It can be used as lightly as you like, depending on how far back you pull the 'firing end' and can act rather more delicately than the 'compression' centre-punches that are a bit more common.

24k0101s1.jpg

• Informative 1

Get a decent pin vice and the best Drill bits outs there, Skip on the drill bits and expect the worst. Eileen emporium sell these separately. as opposed to the  crappy  multi drill bits in the plastic box you get in some shops. 

Pin vice :

https://uk.farnell.com/eclipse/121/pin-vice-0-1mm/dp/146443?gross_price=true&CATCI=pla-57332432781&CAAGID=14406255429&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-ALLPRODGROUPS&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_rjR7ajJ3QIVled3Ch2b5AHREAQYASABEgKzE_D_BwE&CAWELAID=120173390000050531

Drill bits:

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1357&name=drills-drilling&Itemid=189

using the correct tools carefully you should not have any issue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

using the correct tools carefully you should not have any issue

Practising on stuff you're not too bothered about first is often a good idea.

It's not easy to explain how to avoid excessive side-loads on the finer drills, but gentle practise will reveal it fairly quickly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

A good supplier of drills in all shapes and sizes are Chronos. Its a good idea to have a set of broaches for easing out holes much less stressfull and more control in getting to a finished size.Andy.

Broaches will often also produce a much better finish on the inside of a hole than a plain drill will, especially useful when the hole is a bearing surface.

Drill a touch under-size and open up as appropriate with a broach, where it really matters.

There will be a very slight taper on a broached hole, but it's rarely of any practical significance. Doing it from both sides can be an idea, if it's possible.

• Like 1

I agree with George, do not buy the Microbox sets- every bit under .6mm is as blunt as hair-clips. Though drill bits from expo tools in the small sizes are excellent and generally come ten in a pack- a pack is the same price as the .3mm in Eileens

For the best tungsten carbide and most economical I use CNC drill bits from Amazon, again a box of up to ten bits is the same price as one .3mm in Eileens, post is free in the UK and I use addresspal for €3.75 to here, here is an example of what you get;-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbide-Dremel-Jewelry-Engraving-Circuit/dp/B072R2YP13/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537461593&sr=8-4&keywords=cnc+drill+bits

Borithe, post or send us a link to that set of punches?

Eoin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, murrayec said:

Broithe, post or send us a link to that set of punches?

Eoin

Ah - I got mine at the boot sale about fifteen years ago. They were a set of four, in a red vinyl wallet, including the chisel, which is actually the most used.

I will go hunting - I'm fairly sure that they were an indigenously produced US product.

Eek!

You're not going to like these prices....

This is the same principle, although this set is intended for nail-setting.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/spring-tools-wwa1105-spring-tools-woodworking-set-5-pieces/8831X?kpid=8831X&ds_kid=92700031336051899&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1249796&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj8vVjbLK3QIVAuh3Ch2fcgV6EAQYASABEgK7gfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLeoxpCyyt0CFYnk1Qod96UNRA

I think I paid four quid for my centre-punch/chisel set.

http://springtools.co.uk/

(Screwfix is not always the cheapest...)

• WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

Eek!

This is the same principle, although this set is intended for nail-setting.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/spring-tools-wwa1105-spring-tools-woodworking-set-5-pieces/8831X?kpid=8831X&ds_kid=92700031336051899&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1249796&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj8vVjbLK3QIVAuh3Ch2fcgV6EAQYASABEgK7gfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLeoxpCyyt0CFYnk1Qod96UNRA

I think I paid four quid for my centre-punch/chisel set.

http://springtools.co.uk/

You gotta be joking..........

Ready for transfers.

IMG_2260.JPG

Edited by GNRi1959

11 hours ago, murrayec said:

I agree with George, do not buy the Microbox sets- every bit under .6mm is as blunt as hair-clips. Though drill bits from expo tools in the small sizes are excellent and generally come ten in a pack- a pack is the same price as the .3mm in Eileens

For the best tungsten carbide and most economical I use CNC drill bits from Amazon, again a box of up to ten bits is the same price as one .3mm in Eileens, post is free in the UK and I use addresspal for €3.75 to here, here is an example of what you get;-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbide-Dremel-Jewelry-Engraving-Circuit/dp/B072R2YP13/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537461593&sr=8-4&keywords=cnc+drill+bits

Borithe, post or send us a link to that set of punches?

Eoin

Not sure these are available on the US Amazon site, any recommendations for this side of the pond. I almost bought the multiples in a plastic box before seeing this thread🤔

22 hours ago, Broithe said:

Eek!

Eek is right!

I generally stay away from screwfix

I just found a few appropriate springs in the scraps box, they are now earmarked for a little project on the lathe.

Thanks

Eoin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murrayec said:

Eek is right!

I generally stay away from screwfix

I just found a few appropriate springs in the scraps box, they are now earmarked for a little project on the lathe.

Thanks

Eoin

There are Chinese copies* on eBay at around four quid, but they look a bit rough. As bizarrely expensive as the US ones are, the material is top class stuff.

*a 'spring punch' search will bring them up.

There are ones out there that will take a masonry nail as a replaceable point.

I would say that, for site use, as the nail-punches would probably be used, they are a very 'losable' item, and it's no fun at the full price.

I'm also a fan of having a square somewhere on things than don't need to be fully circular.

Screwfix are good for what they're good for - and there's a shop at the end of my road now, so no 'building an order' is necessary..

• Like 1