Class 141 1E 171 Murphy models

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

A neighbour had a photograph of a Class 141 IE 171 on a train taking pilgrims to Lough Derg. The photo showed the loco arriving in Omagh back in 1963. Tonight I managed to buy one of these boxed/new locos on eBay for £85. It will be nice to add it to my Derry Road layout which has been goods only up to now. So I guess thats my spending for this month done and maybe staying away from Enniskillen tomorrow will do no harm!

IMG_2268.PNG

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jason brady said:

Hi Tony. 171 carries the IE orange livery from the mid 90s onwards. Just a heads up incase you're expecting the model to carry the livery shown on the photo on the box. 

I was wondering the same.  MM have 5 baby GMs in early 1960s Black'n'Tan livery (basically black loco with white band as per box cover), namely MM 141, 141A, 165, 181 and 188, all others are one of the orange livery variants. But easy for you to swap Tony.

Knowing your era & focus, Tony, I think we all thought the same as soon as you mentioned 171. Still it'll add variety and I'm sure most of us have an occasional duckling on the shelf. I have one British sound loco (still an intended donor, ... maybe) and one Canadian diesel although everything else is Irish. Black CIE 141 and 181s do come round and if the mood take you you can always swap or or buy and sell on the 171. It is a decent price and you'll get that or more which will buy you a Black and Tan as the mood suits you.

26 minutes ago, BSGSV said:

Don't wish to be smart, but only the 141's were around in 1963. 181's only arrived after the Derry Road closed.

No prob. :) I thought I'd grabbed my photo of B141 :) 

On 9/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, GNRi1959 said:

Noel, I don't suppose theres anything like that going handy these days?

Yes, Dave Bracken @WRENNEIRE of this parish may be able to supply you with a Black'n'Tan liveried B141 or B165.

• Like 1

Since one very kind member offered me the sale of a Black'n'Tan number 141 I have started reading, with interest, of the use of this loco on the Derry Road. 

From the book 'The Derry Road' by Des Fitzgerald it shows No. 159 at Carrickmore heading for Omagh dated 13th July 1964 stating it was the last year of operation of this service. Therefore No. 165 would most certainly not have been in Omagh. 
My good friend, the late Norman Johnston, who captioned the book notes that the locos were first introduced 13th Dec 1962 so it is more likely that No. 141 came this way.
  • Thanks 1

Its just about possible that B165 worked over the Derry Road, B141-B177 were all entered service in 1961 and were initially concentrated on long distance and express passenger work. They were more reliable than the Metrovicks and an obvious choice for the Lough Derg  pilgrimage trains where a breakdown on the single line west of Portadown would have been highly disruptive.

You could always run with the scenario of the Derry Road remaining open with Strabane continuing as a rail head for Donegal with B141s working the heavy cross border goods traffic from Dundalk.

6 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Since one very kind member offered me the sale of a Black'n'Tan number 141 I have started reading, with interest, of the use of this loco on the Derry Road. 

From the book 'The Derry Road' by Des Fitzgerald it shows No. 159 at Carrickmore heading for Omagh dated 13th July 1964 stating it was the last year of operation of this service. Therefore No. 165 would most certainly not have been in Omagh. 
My good friend, the late Norman Johnston, who captioned the book notes that the locos were first introduced 13th Dec 1962 so it is more likely that No. 141 came this way.

A couple of observations... Firstly, MM produced two versions of the black & tan 141. Make sure you have the original version, and not the later version. Secondly, there are a number of people on here who could renumber the loco to whatever running number you wanted...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

Its just about possible that B165 worked over the Derry Road, B141-B177 were all entered service in 1961 and were initially concentrated on long distance and express passenger work. They were more reliable than the Metrovicks and an obvious choice for the Lough Derg  pilgrimage trains where a breakdown on the single line west of Portadown would have been highly disruptive.

You could always run with the scenario of the Derry Road remaining open with Strabane continuing as a rail head for Donegal with B141s working the heavy cross border goods traffic from Dundalk.

Oh dear. I'm going to sound a smartass again. The 37 members of the 141 class arrived in a two week period from 22nd November 1962 and started trials almost immediately, with service entry as early as 10th December 1962. So the locos could have been seen on specials on the Derry Road in 1963 or 1964.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Just checked models. As Patrick said neither of Murphy Model's two B141 variants had CIE roundels (i.e. MM0141 1960s original with staff catchers on cab sides, and MM0141A RPSI restored version without staff catchers on cab sides).  The other MM Black'n'Tan B165, B181 and B188 all had CIE roundels and staff catchers.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, patrick said:

Some if not all the141's arrived and went into service without the CIE broken wheel logo. The Murphy Models 141 is the only black and tan baby GM without it and may be the most appropriate version for a 1963- 64 era layout. 

All of them entered traffic without it. They started adding them after first repaint in mid to late 1960s. The 181s entered traffic WITH the roundel.

Therefore any 141 that ever went along the Derry Road did not have a roundel, and as stated elsewhere, no 181 ever went there as they delivered after the line closed.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

They only appeared on the Derry Road on special trains, and within about a 12-14 month period just before it closed. To the end, all normal routine services were ex-GNR diesel railcars on passenger work, and steam on the goods.

I have an idea that an A did a trial run maybe as far as Dungannon, but I’m not sure. No C, B101, 181 or B121 ever went there.