Lough Derg Pilgrims Special

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

My interest in this special started when I recalled a photograph a neighbour gave me many years ago, unfortunately I have since mislaid it. Taken on an old 'box camera' the photograph showed a CIE Class B141 arriving at Omagh General Station c.1963-64. After the closure of the Enniskillen line in 1957, pilgrims left the train and were taken by bus to Lough Derg. 

I was lucky enough to purchase a Murphy Models CIE Class B141 this week which has added much interest to my layout 'Derry Road Runabout'. I have also since been able to get some interesting information about the service. In the CIE Working Timetable they were designated 'OMA DE' and they dominated the Lough Derg workings in 1963 and 1964.

The train comprised a Luggage Van, a couple of standards, a Combo, former Great Northern Diner C402N and a brake/standard.

Knowing little or nothing about coaching stock I would like to know if any of the above are available RTR?

Incidentally, the photograph below is B153 at Pomeroy 14th Aug 1964 - photo by Sam Williamson.

IRRS BDN XP Post 01.10 - 5 Pomeroy B153 OMA-DNP Fri 140864 - Sam Williamson.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

EDIT:

DC kits used to do a 4-wheel heating van in CIE livery (I thought Noel had posted them at one point @Noel )which was not strictly accurate but good on a 2 foot rule. I don’t see it in the website on my mobile device.

Link to DC kits

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=155

JM designs used to have a brass kit of the 4w 'Hooded' Parcel Van and the 4w Heating Van

but I doubt they are presently available unless you find one lying about in someone’s attic. @Mayner

I think SSM have a BOGIE brake that might suit built earlier by the GSR but lasted into the 70s  iirc but not sure that it would heave been on your train or nothttp://www.studio-scale-models.com/BredV.shtml @Weshty

and Irish Freight Models intermittently build or have easy plastic kits for some ‘laminates’/brakes. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Irish-Freight-Models-1252098201500518/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1366603860049951&__xts__[0]=68.ARBL_xP4su1WI19LdrcfjOJ4490qOXWx0Fc2LyYlA76Mvd42UyUgSSlQUcwokPwtCcKxKaEA5-tQQfNkYERbwasge9c5CnC708eOXDHDG1fM3ECLDTsSDdmGlaJwPRYid55ojvJ0PuXX1017BEPqAaobqiQjKQ6BtwDSKYQswc3UXQVpoCnhCg&__tn__=-UC-R

Ex-Northern don’t know. I’ll post s few links when I get home

Edited by DiveController

14 minutes ago, DiveController said:

DC kits used to do a 4-wheel heating van in CIE livery which was not strictly accurate but good on a 2 foot rule. I don’t see it in the website on my mobile device. JM designs used to have a brass kit but I doubt they are presently available unless you find one lying about in someone’s attic. I think SSM have a bogey brake that might suit and Irish Freight Models intermittently build or have easy plastic kits for some ‘laminates’/brakes. Ex-Northern don’t know. I’ll post s few links when I get home

The Bachmann bogie brake parcel is a relatively straight forward for conversion to a CIE bogie parcel look-a-like after adjusting windows and a few other bits  

IMG_5189.jpg

IFM Bulleid HLV passes the 2ft rule admirably straight out of the box (not, well straight out of the bubble wrap). 

IMG_1322.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 10:05 AM, GNRi1959 said:

The train comprised a Luggage Van, a couple of standards, a Combo, former Great Northern Diner C402N and a brake/standard.

IRRS BDN XP Post 01.10 - 5 Pomeroy B153 OMA-DNP Fri 140864 - Sam Williamson.jpg

In this instance, the diner is of GSWR parentage. The exact stock would have varied from train to train but the only photos I’ve ever seen of these specials show standard CIE laminate stock like this.

I can’t recall offhand if a Craven was ever included in the consist.

IFM do a 1429- and 1449 - series iirc. They will do then intermittently or maybe to order? Easy to put together but if you want to avoid spraying them and all that then maybe worth the extra money. Sometimes sells the on eBay (helix0_8). Look on Noels threads, he has some of his laminates iirc. I need some too as no-one else does them rtr as far as I know or I'b be buying a rake or three.

I forgot that Silverfox do some rtr. this is their rendition of the 1356-71 series CIE built 61'6" Irish coaches of 1953/4 which sat on GSR type bogies. Not entirely sure how well this matches the prototype in length, definitely not width/shape but passes the duck test. Looks better in the B'n'T livery which would suit your era better. Not easy to find a shot on flickr for comparison. NLI is another resource but it's unlikely to the labelled as such.

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ir-ie-open-3rd-coach/

I came across a decent shot of one of the exGNR diners but not 402

gsw Said to be at Bagnealstown 9jul60

ie_open_3rd_black_orange.jpg

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1