ex BR mk 2 coach models

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi guys the proposed 21mm gauge model I am planning on doing needs some rolling stock, I have about a dozen or so wagons ready to convert to 21mm and I have about 6 Triang GWR clerestory coaches which I plan to do the same with.

However as an experiment I would like to buy some Mk 2 coaches and run them as a set. The question is which manufacture does the better coaches closer to the Irish type Bachman? Hornby? Lima? Airfix?

I am not in to the Orange and Black period so I also plan to use them to work on my paint spraying technique so they will be turned out in something like CIE coach green (well that's the plan anyway) so any preference would be welcome.

I think I read somewhere that mk2 bodies shells of type A, B and F have been used in Ireland but I just wanted to be sure.

Colin

Edited by Colin R

Hi 

A couple  of thoughts   The Bchmann bogies will convert to 21mm as have thin bogie side mouldings allowing re-wheeling. The coaches are of a type used on just a couple of rakes - if not one only.  but have seen preserved use with RPSI stock in a green -albeit perhaps dark compared to CIE greens.

Lima on the other hand do an older moulding of the MK2b which are cheap for resprays but bogies are more of a problem to change and have thicksides without flush glazing. These coach types were used by NIR for its 1970s Enterprise stock .

The air con stock - Murphy models do all the right models and being based on Bachmann principles would be easier to change but are at a higher price due to limited run and popularity.

The Airfix/ Hornby  2D air con stock is a good model   and with current models having flush glazing are quite cheap so could respray  as if CIE green ruled over orange and black - but you do  not get the range - with only  a first, second and secondopen brake available .   These  models make the basis for the Gatwick stock used by NIR in 90s. But have detail differences - perhaps the yet to be released Bachmann MK2e stock will be better. - but given price increase these will be possibly over £40 a coach.     

With a rule one layout and amended backstory of CIE development perhaps the NIR coaches could have prompted earlier demise of older stock  and a later introduction of black and tan could explain a green CIE  MK2b behind a silver A class..

Robert   

Edited by Robert Shrives
spelling -sorry!
  • Like 1