Stations

Rate this topic

brassnut

Anthony,

Glenbeigh is an excellent choice, as it lasted long enough to have diesels (only the C Class mind you) as well as steam. Of course you can bend history a bit, decide that the Valencia line never closed and get away with using Paddy's 141s, if you're not so keen on John's C Class.

What a railway that line would be today, had it survived!

As Brothe says - it's your railway, so calling what you like and run what you like!

• Like 2

I walked the old track.and tunnels  yesterday where possible.see pictures below... you may educate me on the paddy 141 as I'm still learning the old track is now going to be turned into a cycle lane and walkway FROM glenbiegh to cahersiveen thanks anthony 

20181006_114546.jpg

20181006_163909.jpg

20181006_163940.jpg

• Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

Thanks for putting the photos up - I have photographed the remains (a remarkable amount still visible for The Ring road), but only from the coach while touring. Obviously, a pilgrimage to walk it is a must!

In the late 1950s, the line was worked by J15s, but towards the end the little BoBo C Class diesels were used. For wagons - dare I say it, my kits will give you a complete train! As you will find out in a day or two, I am about to post pictures of a suitable brake van!

You need to buy Patrick O'Sullivan's two volumes on the line (Oakwood Press) which give the full story.

Good luck with the project.

Leslie

• Like 1

Great piece of railway, I walked through one of the tunnels and had a look around Kells Station over 30 years ago.

There is an article in one of the "Steam Railway" magazines in the early 1990s with an inspiring photo of a J15 at Glenbeigh Station in the early 1950s though I can't seem to find it. 

I would not get too hung up on having historically accurate locos and stock if you are just starting out in building a layout. 

You can always use modelers license with the line staying open like the similar Mallaig & Kyle in Scotland and running your own choice of locos and stock. 

Yes lovely indeed I got all the pictures of the the killorgan preservation society there very helpful i just asked them the said no problem. Im awaiting a very rare DVD of the history of glenbiegh railway that I hope to post on here. Soon but sure you take things as you here them.

I walked from glenbiegh along every inch where possible to the where the train ended it's journey at Valencia . It was a lovely walk. I could feel the presence of those  that had taken that journey as I walked in the footsteps I could feel the history it was sad and happy. Peaceful. If we could turn back the clock indeed magnificent 

Edited by brassnut