Model Rail Magazine No 253 October 2018

Rate this topic

Colin R

I don't as a rule say much about mags. But I though you guys might be interested in this one as it has an article about converting a Bachmann BR Mk 1 BSK  into an Irish Rail Generating Steam Van.

I haven't read it yet, but the funny thing is, I have just brought a Bachmann BSK (from eBay) to do exactly the same thing.

Also and just as a link, I have also just purchased a couple of USA Tanks (nice tank locos) but the plan is to make them both 21mm gauge (yes I know Ireland never had any, but I can always dream that either the NCC or GNR(i) acquired a couple after the war for shunting around Belfast or out on the Derry Road somewhere and both ended up on the SL&NCR and somehow they both survived to be purchased for preservation.

Colin

Just found the original thread here

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

If of any use Lima BR mk1 BSK conversion to GSV last year. Due to the way the Bachmann coach dismantles, it should be marginally easier to do than the Lima. The Bachmann will make a much better donor and has better grazing and window frames.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/6213-kingsbridge-workbench/?do=findComment&comment=104272

The main mistake on mine was I made the water filter recesses far too large  

IMG_3951.jpg

Roof vents

gsv_lima_roof02.jpg

Before weathering

GSV3185_Steps_123.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6

Thanks Noel, that is great stuff.

Just found some old model mags going by the name of 'practical model railways' there was an article by a Mr Shane McQuillan  on how to build a class 80 DEMU.

Just out of interest is Mr McQuillan a member of this forum?

Sadly I did not get that many issues of this mag but I would still like to know if I missed anything, plan wise.

Colin