Senior’s travels

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Communication with someone else not on this board tonight reminded me of jhb171Senior’s forays by rail to Rathkenny (NCC Cushendall narrow gauge), Draperstown and Dungiven. 

Then I'm searching for info on it and find these; one was 2 weeks before passenger trains ended to Dingle & Castlegregory, and the other an apparently very random jaunt!

910D25DB-E056-43FA-85C5-0530C40F5B7D.jpeg

52B46088-60ED-4A5E-872C-04703073894D.jpeg

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

They could. Certainly Cork to Bandon anyway, and a Luas from Ballincollig into the city and in out towards the airport / Douglas area.

Senior had relatives near Birr - and knowing him, cycling there from Birdhill wouldn’t surprise me at all, as he would sometimes cycle from Ranelagh to Liffey Junction or Inchicore, or occasionally to Clondalkin. On one occasion he got the train from Amiens St (having cycled there from Ballsbridge!), to Goraghwood, and thence to Warrenpoint. Then he cycled through Rostrevor, Annalong and Kilkeel to Newcastle. Then he threw the bike in the guards van and footplated an 0.6.0 to Belfast!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

They could. Certainly Cork to Bandon anyway, and a Luas from Ballincollig into the city and in out towards the airport / Douglas area.

Senior had relatives near Birr - and knowing him, cycling there from Birdhill wouldn’t surprise me at all, as he would sometimes cycle from Ranelagh to Liffey Junction or Inchicore, or occasionally to Clondalkin. On one occasion he got the train from Amiens St (having cycled there from Ballsbridge!), to Goraghwood, and thence to Warrenpoint. Then he cycled through Rostrevor, Annalong and Kilkeel to Newcastle. Then he threw the bike in the guards van and footplated an 0.6.0 to Belfast!

GN or BCDR? :)

On 10/16/2018 at 9:52 PM, jhb171achill said:

Communication with someone else not on this board tonight reminded me of jhb171Senior’s forays by rail to Rathkenny (NCC Cushendall narrow gauge), Draperstown and Dungiven. 

Then I'm searching for info on it and find these; one was 2 weeks before passenger trains ended to Dingle & Castlegregory, and the other an apparently very random jaunt!

910D25DB-E056-43FA-85C5-0530C40F5B7D.jpeg

The only Dingle ticket I've seen!! Incredible gem!

I’ve one or two more somewhere......

He had an ordinary first class return from Tralee to Dingle, which I think his father used, as he always said he did the T & D (and the Schull & Skib) only once. 

While in that area, he did the whole West Cork, including two trips to Macroom (one in the cab and one in a brake van); though he missed the two Cork narrow gauge lines.

• Like 1