NCC 0-4-0ST Number 16

Rate this question

Tullygrainey

Question

On page 36 of "Rails Around Belfast" (Crockart & Patience, Midland Publishing), there's a photograph (from the Charles Friel Collection) of a 0-4-0ST locomotive, built at York Road Works in 1914 and used around the Belfast Harbour lines until 1951. Can anyone point me towards further information or photos regarding this loco?

22 answers to this question

Tullygrainey, if you're based in the north, your best bet might be to ask Charles Friel himself at one of the RPSI winter meetings, or on a steam train. Charles is, as I'm sure you know, one of the most respected railway historians anywhere in Ireland. If he doesn't know the answer (not all of us railway historians do!), he will at least be able to point you in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure you'll have seen the basic description and specs on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNCR_Class_N

BNCR Class N
Type and origin
Power type Steam
Builder Sharp, Stewart & Co., Manchester (No. 42)
NCC, York Road Works, Belfast (No. 16)
Build date 1874 (No. 42)
1914 (No. 16)
Total produced 2
Specifications
Configuration:  
 • Whyte 0-4-0ST
 • UIC B n2t
Gauge 5 ft 3 in (1,600 mm)
Driver dia. 4 ft 0 8 in (1.222 m)
Wheelbase 7 ft 9 in (2.36 m)
Length 25 ft 3 8 in (7.70 m)
Width 8 ft 4 in (2.54 m)
Height 11 ft 11 in (3.63 m)
Axle load 13.80 long tons (14.02 t)+
17.25 long tons (17.53 t)
Loco weight 31.05 long tons (31.55 t)
Fuel type Coal
Fuel capacity 15 long cwt (760 kg)
Water cap 600 imp gal (2,700 l; 720 US gal)
Boiler pressure 130 psi (896 kPa)
Heating surface 661.12 sq ft (61.420 m)
 • Tubes 590.88 sq ft (54.895 m)
 • Firebox 70.24 sq ft (6.526 m)
Cylinders Two
Cylinder size 16 in × 22 in (406 mm × 559 mm)
Valve gear Stephenson
Loco brake No.42: Hand brake
No.16: Steam brake
Train brakes None
Performance figures
Tractive effort 12,707 lbf (56.5 kN)
Factor of adh. 5.47
Career
Operators
Numbers 16, 42
Nicknames No.16: Donkey
Scrapped No.16: 1951
No.42: 1925

The Five Foot Three reference might yield some assistance. I don't have a copy but someone else might ...

Scott, W.T. (January 1968). "The Shunting Tanks of York Road". Five Foot Three. 4: 2–10

Edited by DiveController
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Tullygrainey, if you're based in the north, your best bet might be to ask Charles Friel himself at one of the RPSI winter meetings, or on a steam train. Charles is, as I'm sure you know, one of the most respected railway historians anywhere in Ireland. If he doesn't know the answer (not all of us railway historians do!), he will at least be able to point you in the right direction.

That's very useful. Many thanks. And a good reason to get out and about rather than just staring at photos!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DiveController said:

I'm sure you'll have seen the basic description and specs on Wikipedia

The Five Foot Three reference might yield some assistance. I don't have a copy but someone else might ...

Scott, W.T. (January 1968). "The Shunting Tanks of York Road". Five Foot Three. 4: 2–10

No I hadn't - I'm clearly not trying hard enough! Many thanks for this.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

While the photo shows a loco too dirty to be sure, I suspect that in UTA days it received the full lining - in such a guise, it must have looked very well. Naturally, in use, a liberal coat of filth as above is more authentic.

Nice model, nice atmosphere!

Thank you very much. You are undoubtedly right about the livery. I have to confess I bottled out of that particular challenge!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-Mo Arts said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've just seen this, and I like it a lot, do you have any details of the build? 

I'm pleased you like it. Thank you J-Mo. As I said in the original post, the starting point was a Hornby 0-4-0 Caledonian Pug though there wasn't much left of the superstructure by the time I'd finished with the razor saw. The body mods are mostly plastic card, brass wire and bits from the spares box. The tank needed a lot filed off each side to get the profile I wanted. it was then skinned with 0.25mm plastic card so as to extend the tank forward over the smokebox without having an obvious join. The rivets are Archer 3D resin transfers.

I used a Hornby spares pack for the crossheads and sliders - Part No. X8834, Class 28xx 2-8-0 valve gear set. They're a bit large and there might be better alternatives. The cylinders are sections cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil, the sort you buy in 10 packs at the supermarket. They're just glued to the chassis.

It's DCC chipped which tames it a bit and it runs reasonably well. It's probably a bit over-scale but that's what you get for starting with a Hornby Pug🙂

Alan

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

P3101895.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

I'm pleased you like it. Thank you J-Mo. As I said in the original post, the starting point was a Hornby 0-4-0 Caledonian Pug though there wasn't much left of the superstructure by the time I'd finished with the razor saw. The body mods are mostly plastic card, brass wire and bits from the spares box. The tank needed a lot filed off each side to get the profile I wanted. it was then skinned with 0.25mm plastic card so as to extend the tank forward over the smokebox without having an obvious join. The rivets are Archer 3D resin transfers.

I used a Hornby spares pack for the crossheads and sliders - Part No. X8834, Class 28xx 2-8-0 valve gear set. They're a bit large and there might be better alternatives. The cylinders are sections cut from the barrel of a disposable propelling pencil, the sort you buy in 10 packs at the supermarket. They're just glued to the chassis.

It's DCC chipped which tames it a bit and it runs reasonably well. It's probably a bit over-scale but that's what you get for starting with a Hornby Pug🙂

Alan

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

P3101895.jpg

Thanks Alan, it looks stellar! Might have to have a go myself! 

• Like 1

Those old 1960s FFTs are real gems, and Drew Donaldson is always worth reading. That issue even has a letter from @leslie10646! What always intrigued me for a preservation journal is the ‘Vaporaria’ section in the early issues, which showed how active working steam still was right up until 1970. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Those old 1960s FFTs are real gems, and Drew Donaldson is always worth reading. That issue even has a letter from @leslie10646! What always intrigued me for a preservation journal is the ‘Vaporaria’ section in the early issues, which showed how active working steam still was right up until 1970. 

As a schoolboy I watched it, without the sense that more mature-aged enthusiasts had of the extent to which its days were numbered. To me, it was just another steam train. Filthy locomotive, dark green carriages heading somewhere far-distant and exotic, like Dungannon......

• Funny 1