IRM A Class; Our First Locomotive!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

3 hours ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Interesting to see the green A Class with the black/tan carriages!

Indeed. A sight that could indeed be seen; equally, green stock behind a black, or black & tan loco.

The earliest BnT on anything was 1962, and the latest about 1967. So for five years there’s a mixture. 

Similarly, all wagons without exception were grey, PW included (no garish yellow) until the very late sixties. First exception was the repaint of the bubbles into orange - though they retained their grey chassis. By about 1970, brown starts to appear, but by the end of loose coupled goods in 1976, a good quarter of all wagons (though few vans) were still grey.

I photographed a H van still with a flying snail at Ballina in 1975.

There was SO much variety then, locos, carriages, wagons, liveries. Now it’s just the same old ICRs, CAFs, and container flats. What has the world come to when enthusiasts have to turn to maintenance machines to see anything out of the ordinary!

Whinge over. I await a nice black “A” class!

3 hours ago, Dead Kennedy said:

035.JPG

Worth looking at the lettering font here. Models always seem to have hugely out of scale numbers. Is there a transfer anywhere of the correct font, I wonder?

”Arial” from the keyboard just doesn’t cut it!

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Dead Kennedy said:

044_bw_Crash_1.jpg

Kilfree Junction 1956 or 1957?. Apparently A44 was routed into the loop at Kilfree was unable to stop crashed through the buffer stop at the end of the headshunt (on the right) rolled down the bank and wagons piled up on the loco. Apparently Bulleid visited the scene by helicopter and was impressed at how his triangulated wagon underframes stood up to the collision. There were several near misses & run aways during the 1st few years of diesel operation as former steam drivers adjusted to the freer running and increased stopping distances with the new diesels.

• Like 1
  • WOW! 2

1 hour ago, Railer said:

Looking that the site. Top 3 sellers are Silver A1, A39r in b and t, 051 in full IR tippex day glow livery.

In last place is the all black with yellow panel livery. 

All the versions are selling strongly so far and while black with yellow panels is technically the slowest, it’s only one loco behind the joint second last :)

20 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

All the versions are selling strongly so far and while black with yellow panels is technically the slowest, it’s only one loco behind the joint second last :)

It’s also a damn cool livery. I reckon once that one arrives and everyone sees it they’ll want one! 😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

This Orange Black'n'Yellow livery is hideously cool in a weird kind of way. :) Wonder if it was just a paint shop experiment or if it every actually ran in this livery (e.g. with the galway sets)? 

019%2520Inchicore%252006-07-94.jpg&key=7

But the C class below does look fabulous. @jhb171achill might know if this was an early freight livery or it was just pre Black'n'Tan after Green. An A class would look well too, especially as its pre-rebuild without the head light box.

6749912153_91e4189055_b.jpg&key=230271a9

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

019 was involved in a shunting mishap and had a bent frame as a result , IR used it to test the new livery for the 201's I don't think it ever ran in that livery.

Correct, flange. Never turned a wheel! The livery was indeed oddly attractive. I think it may have only been painted on one side.

• Like 1

@jhb171achill might know if this was an early freight livery or it was just pre Black'n'Tan after Green. An A class would look well too, especially as its pre-rebuild without the head light box.

35 minutes ago, Noel said:

6749912153_91e4189055_b.jpg&key=230271a9

Yes, it was silver, then green, then black from about 1963 onwards for these beasts. Some at the very start got Black and Tan.

Some, but not all of them acquired yellow patches during the all-black era, as above. You're looking at about 1964 (I'll check when I get a minute; might be 1965) until new engines 1969 onwards, after which they all reappeared with black'n'tan livery with low tan band.

No loco of A, C, B101 or any class at all, ever had yellow patches on any livery other than all-black. So no Black and Tan with yellow patch.

From memory, and photographs, my guess would be that maybe a third of the A and C class fleet would have had yellow patches in the late sixties. Maybe a quarter. I have no recollection of ever seeing a B101 treated this way, and be reasonably sure that none did carry yellow. Certainly, no 121, 141 or 181; no D, E or G, ever had yellow patches. It seemed to be an "A & C class thing".

• Thanks 1

Surprised to see the yellow-pannelled MV is the slowest seller. I think it will look the best upon production and will be subsequently much sought after, after it's release; it's main problem will be rolling stock availability/suitability. Mixed goods for now. Hopefully Park Royals/ Tin Vans to come...ps IRM, would look great on a future release of B113/4 or on the C Class

• Like 2

9 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

019 was involved in a shunting mishap and had a bent frame as a result , IR used it to test the new livery for the 201's I don't think it ever ran in that livery.

I remember seeing a very smart looking 019 newly painted in the tippex scheme with points loco during a visit to Inchacore during the early 1990s

The loco appeared to have been overhauled and re-painted including bogies, but never re-entered service being stored in 010s former resting place outside No1 Diesel.

Its possible that it was intended to retain a number of 001 Class for Tara and Liner workings before IE got funding to increase the order of the 201 Class from 10 to 34 locos. 

Only one cab and about 3/4 of the loco body was repainted for the mock up the remainder of the loco remaining in the tippex scheme.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Yeah, to give time for the traverser at the unloading terminal on Alexandra Road to be modified to take the length of the 071 class.

Suppose the could always have got the loco to run round in the yard then propel the wagons down the tramway if they wanted. 

BTW anyone know the numbers of the last running A class in IR ownership. I think 051 or 056 off top of my head.

Edited by Railer

Belated congratulations on your choice of the first loco. Presumably it will be relatively easy matter to produce the C/201 at a later date. I can’t see any reference to the number of each variant you are going to produce. As my era is the 1979’s, that’s two GM powered B&T’s and two Supertrain versions. Have to go away and count my pennies.

Stephen

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, StevieB said:

Belated congratulations on your choice of the first loco. Presumably it will be relatively easy matter to produce the C/201 at a later date. I can’t see any reference to the number of each variant you are going to produce. As my era is the 1979’s, that’s two GM powered B&T’s and two Supertrain versions. Have to go away and count my pennies.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

This first run will see us make 17 variants / numbers. Each are listed on the site here:

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive

5 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Hi Stephen,

This first run will see us make 17 variants / numbers. Each are listed on the site here:

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/a-class-locomotive

Hi Stephen. 

Impressive number of variants. Will you be illustrating the livery for each variant/number on the store web site at some stage? It might help visually assist with buying choice of loco when browsing models. 

Cheers

Noel

Just now, Noel said:

Hi Stephen. 

Impressive number of variants. Will you be illustrating the livery for each variant/number on the store web site at some stage? It might help visually assist with buying choice of loco when browsing models. 

Cheers

Noel

At the moment we've tried to match the render to the planned model, as well as included a livery photograph where we have one.

We're up to our eyes at the moment with both A and Liner preorders, and Warley plans but the plan is a complete set of deco plates to be published for every loco on the list as soon as possible, while the CAD work lines up for tooling without delay :)

2 minutes ago, StevieB said:

Yup, but how many of each variant? 

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

We're making 17 - do you mean the actual loco quantity? If so that's not been 100% finalised (and may not even be shared) but our Minimum run is 250 units per number.

17 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

At the moment we've tried to match the render to the planned model, as well as included a livery photograph where we have one.

We're up to our eyes at the moment with both A and Liner preorders, and Warley plans but the plan is a complete set of deco plates to be published for every loco on the list as soon as possible, while the CAD work lines up for tooling without delay :)

Hi Stephen,

We're making 17 - do you mean the actual loco quantity? If so that's not been 100% finalised (and may not even be shared) but our Minimum run is 250 units per number.

Hats off, Lads. Must be a massive undertaking!

• Like 1