Drones and civil aviation

Rate this topic

Noel

One wonders why the likes of SCO19 are not deployed to deal with drone pilots who effectively launched a terrorist attack on a major airport. Can you imagine the public uproar if a future IRM product's delivery was delayed because some turnip head muppets flow drones inside the perimeter of an active RWY.

1 hour ago, heirflick said:

Cant understand that the army weren't deployed with their signal jamming  equipment to stop all signals reaching the drone.  The frequency of the drone is nowhere near air traffic control frequencies.:confused:

Yes WIFI's 2.4Ghz is a long way off VHF.

WIFI Jammers are rather inexpensive https://www.ebay.ie/itm/153026952834

3 hours ago, heirflick said:

Cant understand that the army weren't deployed with their signal jamming  equipment to stop all signals reaching the drone.  The frequency of the drone is nowhere near air traffic control frequencies.:confused:

Never mind that. I can’t understand why they didn’t just blow it out of the sky!

13 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Never mind that. I can’t understand why they didn’t just blow it out of the sky!

Shooting a tiny flying object using a firearm of some kind is extremely dangerous in a built up area. A round can travel miles and can still come down at enough velocity to cause horrific injury on some unsuspecting innocent.

PS:I hope they catch the idiots who were operating the gatwick drones and Justice sees them serve time.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

What was the purpose that these drone flyers, however deludedly, hoped to achieve?

Dunno. Drones are basically flying video cameras (eg. a flying GoPro) and require virtually no skill and to fly or operate. They are inherently geo stable and will hover on the same spot until the operator (i.e. not a pilot) intervenes with a control input that a computer program takes as a single data input intelligently converting to separate control inputs to each fan motor controlling all three axis as well as the vertical. They are a public nuisance yet sold in gadget retail shops to unlicensed and untrained numpties. Today's attack on a major international airport looks orchestrated and well planned, designed to cause maximum economic cost and disruption, including both scare and inconvenience the flying public many of whom will now have sadly have missed Christmas deadline flights (i.e. getting home, or away on Holidays, etc). When those responsible are brought to justice I hope they throw the book at them and make an example of them. It sadly seems only a matter of time before a runway incursion by a drone could lead to catastrophic and significant loss of life due to one heck of a horrible kero fireball.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tarabuses said:

Speculation is that they wanted to close the airport as a protest against too many flights.

They were extremely fortunate that the perpetrators were not shot dead by anti-terror police snippers. Post 9/11 anybody  interfering with the safety of civil aviation irrespective of the reason or justification is not likely to end well.

• Like 3

Same thought exercised my mind as well. Not having seen any news with pictures then I do wonder if I live another 30 years that the truth will come out. My thoughts was a "credible" SAM threat and Drone makes good cover story, despite official  information - just become a cynic over the years.  I really hope not and some "nice but dims"  get it in the neck for 5 years  but luckily for many holiday insurance will cover as it is not been sold as terrorist activity - not lucky for airlines, crews , passengers and their families all who will pay a hidden cost.

Robert 

56 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

What was the purpose that these drone flyers, however deludedly, hoped to achieve?

Speculation is economic disruption by alleged environmental protestors or alleged anti-airport traffic activists, or mere hooligans. One hopes it was not actual terrorists, although IMHO I would consider their actions an act of terrorism. Can't believe they have not yet been verifiably identified, arrested and charged.

Edited by Noel

31 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I think they’ve arrested two local people.

Aviation and Maritime Security Act 1990 has a point. The offence under Section 1(2)(b) "...disrupt the services of ...an aerodrome,...in such a way as to endanger or be likely to endanger the safe operation of the aerodrome or the safety of persons at the aerodrome..."

This carries a penalty of up to Life Imprisonment.

Silly people.