Rate this topic

Kirley

Yes Kieran that pic looks pretty representative of the front end of corridor MPDs in the NIR era. The pic below may be a bit sharper as regards detail.

The other pic at Waterside shows a more attractive corridor connection cover, with small window and three tranverse ribs, which was sometimes seen in the NIR era pained maroon and grey so this would be a legitimate alternative - I have on fitted to one of my Festival-type MPDs, also pictured.

For the slam-door 'suburban' MPD, probably only a few of these were repainted in NIR maroon and grey before they were rebuilt, losing most of the slam doors and half-windows and having new rectangular windows fitted over most seating bays. One of the few repaired before conversion is below, complete with MED-style cab front chevron. most 'suburban', slam-door MPDs probably stayed in UTA Brunswick Green + wasp stripes, until they were rebuilt.

mpd018.jpg

MPD 539 whitehead 1971.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13830[/ATTACH]

Edited by 33lima

Sorry seem to be having diffs with a couple of images, as if the Manage Attachments thing isn't working right or i've hit some kind of site limit! Will see if I can find pics online.

Hope this works - my MPD with the more attractive windowed corridor connection cover:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13833[/ATTACH]

Edited by 33lima

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13834[/ATTACH]

Edit - well that didn't work, either.

Pic of model MPD with windowed corridor connection cover - as seen on MPD 63 in Irish railways in Colour #1 - is in the 3rd pic of post #1, here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56180-out-of-storage-some-of-my-old-uta-and-nir-stock/#

...and in UTA livery for real, here:

MPD Set passing Kellswarer

Edited by 33lima

Still keeping productive on the Work Bench.

Got hold of some MIR kits, Bogie Cement and Flats.

Added a bit more detail to the Cements, the hand rails were tricky to do but worth it I think.

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

Now for primer and paint. The tanks were ivory but unusually the underframe and bogies were black on the Bogie Cements, some tricky masking required!

• 4 weeks later...
Workbench today. Another MPD plus a Buffet Car to run with the MPD rake.

Will the end of this project ever come?

You might borrow from Charlton Heston's Michaelangelo's retort to Rex Harrison's Pope Julius in 'The Agony and the Ecstasy', at the point where the Sistine Chapel repaint project had gone somewhat badly over schedule:

Pope Julius [with exasperation]: WHEN will you make an END???

Michelangelo [with finality]: 'WHEN I AM DONE!'

Great work, keep 'em coming (pics AND MPDs).

Workbench today. Another MPD plus a Buffet Car to run with the MPD rake.

IMG_1085.JPG

Will the end of this project ever come?

Great pic and great work Kieran.The MPD in the foreground with all the soldering is a serious piece of work,looking forward to seeing it completed.The front of the completed MPD behind the box just shouts out Larne line to me,you have captured the profile perfectly.Good job all round.I will pm you at some point soon to get pointers for donor coaches for the 2 MPDs I intend to do,I know you have modelled both.Keep up the good work and stick at it,the results are already there to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slowly, slowly the MPD's are coming to a finish. Just to paint No 65 and finish UTA Diner Car and ALL that's left is all the fiddly bits like decals, glazing, wipers, horns etc etc. Interiors may go on the back burner until the winter.

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

Here are No 36 & No 46 doing trials after decoders were fitted.

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG