Rate this topic

Kirley

Now, isn't that a sight to warm the hear of any railcar fan! Lovely! Especially like the way you made the curved perspex corridor connection for the car in original livery (Pale Green upper cab front). With one of the double-enders evidently getting 'Enterprise' red over blue, the only major MPD livery not featured in that great line-up is 'eau de nil'.

Keep the pics coming, please!

My Spoil Wagon Kit arrived from Leslie this morning.

Could not resist unpacking it to see what the build entails.

IMG_1256%20Spoil%20Wagon%20Kit.jpg

At first glance there's little to it but then you notice all the fiddly bits and a book of instructions 6 pages long. They are the most comprehensive kit instructions I've ever seen and even tells you what paint to use and how to mix it. Well done to your Model Builder Leslie.

Sadly I've had to pack it away as I've to much to complete before starting yet another project so it goes to the back of the list (well maybe).

Hi Kieran

Thanks for displaying the goods for me - I didn't dare empty a pack to photograph it in case I'd never get it inside again.

You missed the transfers, which were a special commission (and had ANOTHER page of instructions!).

Good luck with the build - as you say, the original idea of having a very few parts went out of the window when the hopper part was redesigned and introduced another half dozen or so "fiddly bits"!

Still, it'll keep you out a mischief?

Leslie

To go along with my MPD sets I wanted to model a Buffet Car so I looked to Worsley Works who do brass sides of the NCC North Atlantic Express Diner which was later converted by the UTA to run with the MPD's.

I used Comet's underframe and roof. I got a lot of help from Colm Flannagan, 33lima and Dhu Varren on roof and interior detail and am grateful for their impute.

IMG_3565.JPG

I spent a bit of time on the interior as the windows are large and the inside is quite visible.

IMG_1253.JPG

I used PP Kirtley Green as recommended by Colm Flannigan as the nearest to the "UTA Green".

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3570.JPG

Nice job on the Diner the North Atlantic coaches are so distinctive, a set in LMS NCC Crimson Lake behind a matching Mogul or U2 4-4-0 would be an absolute stunner.

I like the idea of combining the Worsley Works sides with the Comet parts, hopefully the business will survive following the owner Geoff Brewins recent death

I like the idea of combining the Worsley Works sides with the Comet parts, hopefully the business will survive following the owner Geoff Brewins recent death

Sad news indeed, I was speaking to him briefly after he came out of hospital but he never indicated just how ill he was

Edited by Kirley

• 2 weeks later...

To run along with ballast wagons I made over a year ago I wanted a Ballast Plough Van to with them and when Weshty announced a brass kit of a Plough Van I had to have a go.

His Kit is similar to his Brake Vans but the tricky bit (for me anyway) was the forming and attaching of the plough.

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

Working on the MPD's has given me more confidence in soldering so that is the method I chose to build the kit.

IMG_3651.JPG

As you can see I've still a bit to learn on soldering but the beauty is if you made a mistake you can unsolder and re solder again.

IMG_3651a.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3652a.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

I'll need a strong contact adhesive to stick on the roof to ensure there are no gaps between it and the body. A bit of colour next and by then the decals should have arrived.

I got some kits from Leslie a while back and I finally got a window of time to have a go at them.

IMG_3672.JPG

The wagon is in 3 main pieces, chassis, front and hopper which is fairly straight forward but there is 16 supports along with brake shoes, hand wheel, vacuum cylinder, chains and hand rails that prevents this been a quick build.

IMG_3673.JPG

Time to paint, add the small extras plus decals before the models are finished.