Rate this topic

Kirley

Re: my Spoil Wagon kits on Kieran's workbench.

I like the "a while ago" - it was TWO WEEKS ago, I should know when I send things to people!

Terrific stuff to have all five nearly complete in that time.

Very well done, young man. Look forward to seeing them painted - looks like there REALLY will be twenty of them with a tank at each end running on Bleach Green in three week's time - maybe I should fly over to see it?

Leslie

I find it hard to believe that is was away back in May that I started this project of building 8 Railcars. After seeing Colm Flanagan's models I always wanted to get some MPD's and the only way to do that was to build them. I foolishly though that doing a large number at one time would be easier than building smaller batches but on reflection I would not build like that again. So here's the collection:

No. 36

The first MPD built by the UTA. It had an usual corridor connection.

MPD%20No%2036%20-2.jpg

MPD%20No%2036%20-3.jpg

MPD%20No%2036%20-4.jpg

MPD%20No%2036.jpg

It was built with Comet Sides and underframe.

No.42

MPD%20No%2042%20-2.jpg

MPD%20No%2042%20-3.jpg

MPD%20No%2042.jpg

Again build with Comet Sides and underframe.

No.46

For this model I used a Bachmann Mk.1 Suburban 57' coach on a Comet underframe.

MPD%20No%2046%20-2.jpg

MPD%20No%2046%20-3.jpg

MPD%20No%2046.jpg

No. 549 Trailer

MPD%20No%20549%20Trailer%20-2.jpg

Again I used a Bachmann Mk.1 Suburban 57' coach

MPD%20No%20549%20Trailer.jpg

No. 59 & 60

Used a Comet underframe for No.59

MPD%20No%2059.jpg

Bodies from Lima Buffet / Restaurant Cars, cut & shut, windows by Glenderg Models.

MPD%20No%2060%20-2.jpg

MPD%20No%2060.jpg

The last 3 MPD's built were 63,64 & 65 and rather than using existing coaching stock were built new on existing underframes with a Cab at both ends.

No.63

MPD%20No%2063%20-2.jpg

MPD%20No%2063%20-3.jpg

MPD%20No%2063%20-4.jpg

MPD%20No%2063%20-5.jpg

MPD%20No%2063%20-6.jpg

No. 65

MPD%20No%2065%20-2.jpg

MPD%20No%2065%20-3.jpg

MPD%20No%2065%20-4.jpg

MPD%20No%2065%20-5.jpg

MPD%20No%2065.jpg

These 3 Railcars remained in operation into the early 1980's

I used Black Beetle motors to power these 6 of these models and decoders were added to run on DCC.

MPD collection.

MPD%20collection%20-2.jpg

Because of the number of Power Cars your need to run them in "Consists", it's the first time I've had 6 motors in one Consist. Decals by Fox's & SSM.

IMG_1259.JPG

I hope to put up a video of them in action and I'll put it in my 'Kirley Junction' Layout Section.

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

Finally thanks to Colm Flanagan for his initial advice, 73River Roe for his help in doing the brass coaches and 33lima for all his in depth knowledge of small but signifying details during this build.

IMG_1260.jpg

Edited by Kirley

A magnificent collection Kieran, bravo! Took me 20-odd years to acumulate 8 MPD cars and you made it in about 5 months! Particularly like the double-enders and also 59 & 60, I don't think anyone else has done an accurate model of this large batch of MPDs. Great stuff and thanks for posting all those pics.

Edited by 33lima

Great work Kieran,nice to see so many different angled photos of the various railcars.Really enjoyed the various threads of the recent railcar builds on the forum,to often the humble railcar is dismissed as a piece of plastic,personally I think the original UTA/NIR railcars were iconic and much more interesting than what many people think,your MPD builds with their various characteristics show this brilliantly,well done.

I did a rake of 4 ballast wagons back in 2008 using Lima Seacows. I found another Lima in the roof space that I had missed and always means to paint it but never got around to it. When I was preparing to paint my Plough Van I remembered it and added it to the painting work.

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

I needed some 42' flats so I did another Hornby Freightliner cut and shut conversions.

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

When it came time to paint these UTA Spoil Wagons I followed the instructions and used 'Dulux' paint thinned with blue windscreen car wash. I was a bit dubious but got a small sampler tin from their 'mixed' range knowing at least it would be the right colour. It went on OK but clogged my airbrush a few times. Decals were next and a bit of weathering.

For the loads I put a bit of foam into the hopper with plasticard stuck on top. Then some ballast was added.

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

I did a test run with the completed kits but added wagons I had made from plasticard on Dapol chassis back in 2011.

IMG_1317x.jpg

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

From a distance I think they don't look to out of place.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Glenderg's drawing I made up some Spoil Pods using plasticard and stuck them onto the 42' wagons I had finished recently.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

Also on the Bench is two Lima 201's in which I have replaced the chassis with ones from a Bachmann Class 66. Getting the lights to work was the most difficult part. I've another Ballast Hopper to finish and the Weedspraying coach.

IMG_3799-.jpg

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

On the slips is a Class 170 conversion to a CAF 4K, John's CIE Coaches and SSM's 42' flats arrived today. Plenty to be going on with.

• 2 weeks later...

Workbench still busy.

Ballast Wagon

I had a Dapol chassis left over from an old project so I added a ballast wagon body, scratch built from plasticard.

IMG_3836.JPG

Waiting on hand wheels to finish and to find a hopper for underneath. I know I have one from when I built did a rake of wagons but as yet I can't find it.

IMG_3837.JPG

Weedspraying Coach

Finally got to finish Glenderg's coach kit. I added a piece of Evergreen strip to cover the gap between the body and roof which is pro typical.

Weedspraying%20Train%20roof%20strip.jpg

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

A straight forward kit to build and the (unfinished) instructions were excellent. If I was building another one I would block all gaps (windows covered by the plastic etch) as the styrene is very thin and 'melts' into the window gaps leaving slight indents. I'm not sure if the etch could be slightly thicker and that may solve the issue. When painted you don't see them unless the light is strong enough to cause shadows.

IMG_3833.JPG

The windows are included in the kit as well as the cameras, another Glenderg triumph.

IMG_3835.JPG

NIR CAF 4000

Started at last on my CAF 4000. I picked up a Class 170 set in the Spring but only now have I got round to it.

IMG_3821.JPG

First job is to strip the body shells as much as possible, remove some roof 'furniture', fill in the gaps left and then add roof strips. I also took out the existing light fittings as I am replacing them with ones from Express Models.

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

Masking finished and ready for undercoating.