Rate this topic

Kirley

Just finished spraying my NIR CAF 4000 set. Went through loads of masking tape to get the NIR livery right.

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

Next the decals after the varnish has dried.

Made a start on JM Design Bredin MkII coaches.

IMG_3843.JPG

One area I was worried about doing the tumblehome on the brass sides but it worked out well.

IMG_3847.JPG

Over the weekend I hope to get the sides stuck on the donor coaches.

What donors did you elect to use for the Bredins?

Ps: what type of fine masking tape do you use?

Noel, if you go to the Manufactures Section at the bottom of this Web page, click on JM Design. There John has announced his kits and includes details of the donor coach.

I always use Tamiya tape but need to ensure it has good contact especially where there are channels in the bodywork where paint could 'bleed'.

Decals added to the CAF's and glazing put back in and some more detail added to the roof. Wired for DCC and ready to go once my light panels arrive from Express Models.

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

Bredin Coaches.

If you want you can add a lot of detail to the roofs and as John says it's this that makes them so distinctive.

IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

It took quite a bit of time and hopefully when it's painted it will look OK.

IMG_3869.JPG

There even is work to do on the ends.

IMG_3857.JPG

I've still to work out a way to bringing the piping down from the roof and attach to the ends and because the roof is detachable I'll have to cut it and make a joiner.

Kieran

Quite a contrast between the CAFs & Bredins.

Well done with the roof detail and fitting the drop lights to the Bredins, I haven't gotten round to detailing the sample coaches.

I shaped & fixed the pipework into position on the roof and ends of a SSM Bredin then simply made a cut at both ends using a Zurcon rail cutter. alternatively a suitable piece of brass tube could make a joiner.

Bredin end close up.jpg

The end detail on the GSR & CIE Bredins was slightly different with the emergency brake equipment placed lower on the GSR coaches and curving around the top of the gangway,

Still coach building. I decided to add door and grab handles but I needed to use the magnifying glass with light to see what I'm doing, my eyesight has got very poor. I'm wondering if I can't really see these bits why am I doing this?

IMG_1399.JPG

In for a penny in for a pound, some spring buffers for the coaches, the springs are really tiny.

IMG_1403.JPG

Working on the interior of the coaches. I had to cut and place the compartments to fit the coaches, build toilets and partitions. The Buffet Car interior was built from plasticard and seating from old stock. John kindly provided an interior plan or else I would have been lost.

IMG_1404.JPG

Then I painted the interiors with some non descript colours while the Etch Primer on the coaches was drying.

IMG_1406.JPG

How WHICH shade of the 40 green's should I use???

Looks great so far and the seating looks spot on, great work. Pick a shade from this.

Greens 2..png

Im building one of these also and the green i am going to use is Humbrol satin green 131, which is a little light so i will add a bit of black

and see how it turns out.

Working on the interior of the coaches. I had to cut and place the compartments to fit the coaches, build toilets and partitions. The Buffet Car interior was built from plasticard and seating from old stock. John kindly provided an interior plan or else I would have been lost.

IMG_1404.JPG

Then I painted the interiors with some non descript colours while the Etch Primer on the coaches was drying.

IMG_1406.JPG

How WHICH shade of the 40 green's should I use???

I have tried loads of different shades of green and I have found for post 1955 CIE green Humbrol no.2 Emerald gloss green is the best I have come across. I have some pics below to show the results and how it can look different depending on the light in the picture. For the eau de nil stripe I use Humbrol no. 90 Beige Green Matt . For the dark Green 1946-1954 I have used Humbrol no. 3 Brunswick Green Gloss and Phoenix Precision Paints BR pre 1954 Loco green and Humbrol Beige Green Matt for the lining.

20130406_233027.jpg

( park royals in post 1955 green using Humbrol no. 2 Emerald Gloss Green and a Bredin parcel in the background using Humbrol no.3 Brunswick Green Gloss bithe lined with Humbrol no.90 Beige green matt)

20130426_001556.jpg

Park royal Humbrol Emerald Green Gloss lined with Humbrol Beige Green Matt

20130516_090111.jpg

Park Royal with Humbrol Green Gloss lined with Humbrol Beige Green Matt

Thanks for all the suggestions, so pre 1955 the dark green similar to the Bachmann CIE coaches and post 1955 a lighter green?

Yeah pretty much got it one there Kirley although if you thinking of the dark pre 1955 green (which would look great with your Bachmann coaches) a lot the CIE Bredin Mk2's didn't seem to get the eau de nil lines above and below the windows like the Bachmann coaches (and the GSR Bredins). Most seem to either have a thin line along the waist like the park royals I posted earlier and a good few didn't even get an eau de nil waistband at all. They were just all over plain dark green. The BSGV in Downpatrick is painted in this earlier pre 1955 livery shown below ,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/conorsteamtrains/15735317358/in/pool-transport-in-ireland

The coach behind the Steam Loco is in the pre 1955 dark green livery without any eau de nil lining in the link below

Class D10 - 314 - G&SWR Class 309 4-4-0 - built 1903 by Neilson Reid & Co. - 1925 to GSR, 1930 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1957 - seen here at Rosslare Strand in 1955.

I think the buffet cars were built in 1956 so they would be in the post 1955 Emerald green livery with the eau de nil waistband like the park royal in my earlier post. It would make a great train if you had one coach dark green livery with waistband , one in just dark green with no waistband , the buffet in the post 1955 light green and waist band along with the bachmann coaches!

One other point I should have mentioned is although the park royals I built had no flying snails along there sides, any pictures I have seen of the CIE Mk2 Bredin 3rd corridor and composites coaches had flying snails on the sides (passenger class identifying numbers on the door too) in eau de nil (Westy has done these transfer for me before) in the pre 1955 livery with the waistband and post 1955 Emerald green livery but not the pre 1955 plain dark green livery!!I don't think the buffet had flying snails on the sides though!

Great to see the amount of carriagebuilding this thread is bringing out of the woodwork.

Probably going a bit off topic its important to remember that in the 50 & 60s uniform rakes of coaches were rare, particularly with loco hauled trains CIE regularly ran mixed modern and older coaches in the one train.

Pre & post amalgamation coaching stock built in the 1920s relatively modern but dated in appearance was still in top-link service in the 1950s The green Models/Bachmann coaches would make a reasonable rake of these vehicles.

The new coaches probably displaced some of the older bogie coaches from main line service, in turn to replace (but not completely) 6 wheelers on branch and suburban duties.

Some of the classics include a new Composite and a GSWR 6w 3rd brake at Loughrea and a steam hauled Thurles-Clonmel train with an ancient looking bogie coach sandwitched between a MGWR 6 w caboose Brake 3rd and a silver heating van.

Class D12 - 306 - GS&WR Class 305 4-4-0, built 1902 by Inchicore Works - 1906 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1931 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1935 rebuilt with larger diameter boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1959 - seen here at Limerick Junction in 1955.

Possiby a Waterford-Limerick train with two of the newer coaches, a GSWR coach and a string of vans.

Class D 3 - 328 - GS&WR Class 321 4-4-0, built 1905 by Inchicore Works - 1922 rebuilt with heavier frames, 1925 to GSR, 1929 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1932 rebuilt, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1959 - seen here at Mallow.

What looks line a Kingsbridge-Tralee express leaving Mallow, modern CIE coach possibly composite or 1st, Pullman Dining car and a rake of early GSR/late GSWR corridor coaches.

Class D 4 - 309 - GS&WR 4-4-0, built 1903 by Neilson Reid & Co. as GS&WR No.309 - 1913 rebuilt with taper boiler, 1925 to GSR, 1935 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1959.

I could not resist this one powerful Coey 4-4-0 with a tin van, GSWR bogie coach and MGWR brake van probably Thurles-Clonmel branch train. Some of the Clonmel trains connected with Dublin-Limerick (via Nenagh) trains at Ballybrophy with a featherweight load and a high speed run down the main line to Thurles.

Finished my CAF 4000.

P1020363x.jpg

P1020364x.jpg

P1020368x.jpg

The most work was on the roof doing the ribs and vents otherwise lots of masking and re-masking to get close to the NIR livery.

I'll stick up a video in the Layout Section (Kirley Junction) so you can see it in action.