Rate this topic

Kirley

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

2016 Review

2016 is gone and it’s time to a review of my Workshop output for the year.

Jan produced Antrim Signal Cabin made from a laser cut card kit.

IMG_5136.JPG

Next came two buses, a KE and a School bus from Shapeway 3D kits

IMG_5120.jpg

This was followed by another 3D model by Richard EH of a GNRI M Brake Coach kit.

IMG_5091.JPG

A Q kit of an A Class was started but not finished until near the end of the year while a Bull Ant chassis was constructed by a friend.

IMG_0141.jpg

Two Steam locomotives were converted from RTR donors onto an GNRI S Class & a UTA S2 Class.

IMG_5150.JPG

A Christmas present was next a GNRI SG Class from Studio Scale Models. My first go at a brass built steam locomotive and it was not without its difficulties in the motor/gearing department. Let’s say it not one of my best pullers.

IMG_5264.JPG

Another one of Richard’s Shapeway kits was started in May. It’s a GNRI JT 2-4-2 locomotive.

IMG_3783.jpg

Also in May I resprayed some Auto Ballisters into IR livery and Weshty’s decals added the finishing touch.

IMG_3446.jpg

I finished off the month with some of Leslie’s Provincial Wagons I got at the Bangor Show in April. A nice relaxing build.

IMG_3544.JPG

The next couple of months were taken up with a conversion from an Adams Tank RTR to a BCDR Class 1 Bogie Tank.

IMG_5538.JPG

I slipped in a Comet Lorry conversion from John Mayner to a CIE Comet Tipper Lorry towards the end of June.

IMG_3672.jpg

Part II to follow

IMG_5108.JPG

IMG_5142.jpg

Edited by Kirley
trying to attach images

Review of 2016 Part II

August I was building a bus kit, a GNR Gardner bus from Sunrise Models which I did in CIE livery.

IMG_4073.JPG

I needed a Brake Van for my BCDR locomotive so I converted a lookalike kit along with some plasticard. Came out OK.

IMG_4064.JPG

October saw the start of my Set of BUT Railcars which I got from Worsley Works. Most of September was taken up in gathering all the bits for the build.

IMG_0187.JPG

I got waylaid at the beginning of Dec with a SLNCR Railcar B in primer state from England. I had to finish it right away.

IMG_5625.JPG

I finish the year still with the BUT build but I suppose there is 8 of them to complete. I would estimate another two months to complete them.

IMG_0238.jpg

I would estimate another two months to complete them.

I have another 5 projects waiting with one a rather complicated conversion.

Have to stop after that.

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0231.jpg

A very impressive body of work. And virtually no just "opening the box"! You are, in a way, following in the footsteps of Cyril Fry, who built up a representative collection of models representing Irish railways from the earliest years to the early '60s.

Cheers

Glover

, where do you keep it all?

What roofs did you use for the BUT Railcars?

Thanks Guys for your kind remarks.

Popeye I didn't go down your road of making a wooden roof. I just used my old method of cutting a Comet roof down the middle and adding a plasticard strip to widen it. Then I use Isopon underneath to hold it in place.

IMG_0243x.jpg

As for your first question "where do you keep it all", that's my problem, I'm running out of room.

IMG_0242x.jpg

• 4 months later...

CIE Ballast Plough Van.

I had build one of Weshty's kit before when he first brought them out so I thought building a second one would be straight forward but that does not always turn out to be the case.

First prepare the brass and Dapol kit.

IMG_0969.JPG

Then out with the soldering iron.

IMG_0971.JPG

Body soldered.

IMG_0992.jpg

Now for the fun bit -the plough.

IMG_0996.jpg

Some etched primer added.

IMG_0997.JPG

I could not get the roof to sit right so I ended up soldering a piece of brass wire to conceal the gap between the body and roof.

IMG_1011.JPG

Painted, decals and extras added.

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

So now I have two Plough Vans so all I need is some Ballast Wagons to run with them.

Building a brass 6 wheel coach

I discovered Bill Bedford (Mousa Models) did kits for BCDR 6 wheel coaches. I got three kits but decided to complete one first rather than build the 3 together.

This is what you get.

IMG_1093.JPG

No instructions, absolutely no instructions!

I started on the chassis and as you can see in the picture below the wheels are held in with hi-hat bearings which fit into the bearing holders. They in turn fit onto to a piece of brass wire (supplied) which run into two points as marked by the black arrows on the picture.

IMG_0800.JPG

The middle axle required modifications to the wheel set. The wheels were removed from their 2mm axle and replaced by a piece of 2mm brass tubing. The tubing was cut to just cover the wheel bosses.

IMG_0880.JPG

A 1 mm pin point axle was obtained and was inserted in the tube.

IMG_0881.JPG

The 1 mm axle in a 2mm bearing allows sufficient movement in the middle axle so as not to derail on curves, at least that is the theory.

IMG_0883.JPG

I hope I have explained it clearly enough as it took me a long time to get my head around it. (Apologies about the quality of the above 3 pictures).

‘E’s’

IMG_0918.JPG

I had no idea what these were for but Richard McLaughlin at the North Down Show not only explained their purpose but also put one in place for me. As you can see in the picture below how the ‘E’s’ cleverly hold the top and bottom half of the coach exactly in place.

IMG_0919.JPG

Next was a start on completing the chassis. The sides to be applied and you have to laminate 3 separate pieces to make the buffer beams.

IMG_1086.JPG

Running boards had to be constructed.

IMG_1089.JPG

Even the brakes had to be laminated.

IMG_1090.JPG

I’m glad I decided to build one first as it takes two or three times as long to figure out what goes where than soldering it in place.

It's going to be a slow build.

RESPECT! :) Kieran the diversity of your modelling skills and throughput never ceases to amaze and inspire. I have nothing but the highest admiration for folks with the perseverance, endurance and skills to successfully tackle brass projects to a high standard. Look forward to seeing your coach progress.

• 2 weeks later...

004x.JPG

I have taken the decision to no longer post on this forum.

Firstly I would like to thank all those many members who have helped and advised me over the years without which I would have never achieved so much in such a short time. The degree of assistance was such that I regard them as friends though I have never met many of them.

Secondly I would like to point out my reason for leaving was the recent attitude and comments of a Moderator who had not even the courtesy to reply to my last Post.

Thirdly I want to pay a complement to Stephen and all his team at IRM for the recent introduction of what is going to be a fantastic range of detailed rolling stock and wish them well in the future.

Kieran

• 6 months later...
On 4/20/2012 at 6:57 PM, Kirley said:

Bogie Wagons –Container & Timber

[This entry was originally posted on the old site.]

With thanks to MV038, IE201 and others for their previous posting on the above type wagons. I decided I’ll have to have a go and based the models on what has been already been done by others with a few of my own additions.

Collecting Hornby 60’ wagons and cutting the ones down to 47’ for Container use was the first stage. I noted the difficulty in getting a good join between the sawn wagon parts and after a few goes I hit on this method which gave me a “true meet” between the 2 half’s.

Bogiewagons006.jpg

I placed the 2 parts to be joined on an old steel ruler, applied Epoxy Resin (Z-Poxy 5 –minutes).

Bogiewagons001.jpg

I used bulldog clips to hold the 2 parts together and other clips to hold the body to the steel ruler to keep it flat.

You should end up with a good strong join.

Bogiewagons007.jpg

Once the first one was completed, it was down to assembly line practice.

Bogiewagons008.jpg

Buffers were made from plasticard with a brass pipe shaft inside Evergreen Tube 3.2 mm (Code 224).

Bogiewagons011-1.jpg

Undercoat and then test run

BogieWagons002-1.jpg

I also included a couple of pocket wagons I had resprayed and identified the potental problem with Dapol and old Hornby couplings.

BogieWagons006-1.jpg

Timber Wagons are more of a challenge. Working from what others had done, along with copies of Wagons drawings (thanks to 3wheeler) and closely examining available photograph I came up with the following construction method.

Bogiewagons009.jpg

Plasticard with Evergreen Channel 3.2mm (Code 264) 0.4 x 2.0 strips (Code 114) were used.

Bogiewagons010.jpg

The ends were covered with the 3.2 mm channel.

BogieWagons0022.jpg

BogieWagons007-1.jpg

They were heated with a hair dryer to mould into the shape required.

I concluded from the drawings that 5 pallets with upright stanchions at each corner where fitted across the body of the 60’ wagons.

BogieWagons001-1.jpg

These were made from plasticard, channel, strips and Evergreen square tube 3.2 mm (Code 252) and then attached to the body. Small piping is placed into the square tubes to bring them up to the correct height. Brake wheels (brass etches from Hursts) were fitted to each side of the wagon.

Awaiting more parts before completing the build and moving onto the painting stage.

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber.jpg

Wagons painted in MIR red Oxide.

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber19.jpg

Wagons loaded

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber210.jpg

Paint and transfers completed. I loaded the containers with lead airgun pellets for weight.

Timber wagons painted.

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber311.jpg

Timber loads were built around foam squares to reduce the overweight and to stop these wagons being too heavy.

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber412.jpg

Wagons loaded.

201012-08BogieWagons-ContainerTimber414.jpg

Container Wagons in action.

201012-09Boggiewagons-completed15.jpg

Timber train passing.

Collages16.jpg

Close up of the pocket wagons.

Boggiewagons-completed01317.jpg

The Wagon Project took a lot longer than I had anticipated and I am happy to move on to my Hunslet rake project.

I would love to see the photos about this post. I see it was on the "Old site" could anyone repost the photos or point me to the Old site. Thanks in advance Paddy