Rate this topic

Kirley

Cut out all the glazing except for the Cab side windows, a slow process especially the way I do it. Cut out one, leave it and when I come back cut out another one.

B101Sulzer004.jpg

When I fixed the white metal sides to the Hornby bogies I found the space between them was 26.7 mm. The fuel tank supplied was 25.7 mm so something had to go. As I did not want to touch the Hornby bogies I decided to take off about 2.5 mm of the white metal fuel tank.

B101Sulzer002-1.jpg

To ensure good traction I kept all the weights from the Hornby Chassis and had a hole drilled in the steel to give access to the bogie pivot and wires.

B101Sulzer001-1.jpg

Kirley,

It's looking good, your working hard. To solve my problem with the tanks I used the one I removed from this chassis originally and cut it down to 22mm before boxing it off. I am going to fill it with Plaster before gluing it underneath to give me some weight. Just for information and nothing else, the prototype Fuel Tanks look to be about 6'6" or 25mm in our world, so Des had them spot on. Unfortunately the Class 55 bogies are longer than what we would require so taking up more space. Not to worry. I like your ladders on the bogies, I had to solder some together from Brass Wire as I had no plastic ones left.

Another observation is that with all the weights you are using, will they not be visible through the windows? and also have you room for the Cab? Just my thoughts, keep the pics coming and good luck.

Ger.

Another observation is that with all the weights you are using, will they not be visible through the windows? and also have you room for the Cab?

Ger.

Thanks Ger for your useful comments -keep them coming. I was hoping that through the dirty windows all you would see is a big dark lump like a Diesel Engine. As for the cab... it’s still on the etch but I could cut enough back (about 10 mm) of the plates to give me a floor base for the drivers seats. If that does not work then it’s back to the drawing board.

Kirley, great to see her moving under power, but by God, that 121 passed her at some speed!

I know, it's only when I viewed the video did I notice the speed on the 121. It's one of the models I still have to convert to DCC so when I make the odd visit to the roof space I try and give all the models there a quick run just to keep them in working order.

Kieran, what did you use as a donor vehicle for the second class corridor/guard/ brake(?) that the K class is pulling in the final photo. I thought I saw it in your Youtube vid being pulled by your B101, and if what paints colours you used, it looks really class.

I take it you are refering to the coach the Sulzer is pulling, if so it's just one of the Bachmann CIE coaches they did.

Still working away on the Sulzer, it seems to be taking forever.

Anyway Glenderg to the rescue. He kindly sent me a “roof kit” based on the work he is doing on his own Sulzer. So it was out with the scraper blade and remover all the resin roof detail.

B101Sulzer010.jpg

Not as good as his finished product but to me a big improvement on what was there before. I used the same aperture for the roof grill mounting and then noticed it was not in the centre of the roof line but will have to do. Also had to realign some of the mounting points for the gangways.

B101Sulzer011.jpg

Started to look at the lights before assembling all the body parts. Unfortunately the LED’s provided are of 2 different sizes, the white are .85mm including the wires but the red LED’s are 1.8mm including the wires. May have to rethink my method of installing them or else try and source smaller red LED's.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my electrics sorted out. I used Weshty’s red LED’s but sourced similar size white ones from Express Models. I threaded the LED’s through the marker light holes with a dab of Evo-stick glue to hold the LED in place. I covered the wires with Gaffer tape round to the centre of the body. I stuck a bank of resistors to a piece of card and then to the roof. I used two micro connectors and leads so I can detach the body from the chassis without having to unsolder wires.

B101Sulzer020.jpg

I finished the model in black livery and had an attempt at weathering it.

B101Sulzer021.jpg

The windows were from a piece of Perspex I had and were all cut for each individual window.

B101Sulzer022.jpg

The roof is by courtesy of Glenderg.

B101Sulzer023.jpg

B101Sulzer024.jpg

Glad to say it’s finished with the exception of the new grills, it’s been a long haul.

Hope to get a video up within the next few days.