murphy models sound chip for 201

Rate this question

controller

Question

Hi, I just purchased a Murphy Models sound chip for a 201 loco. I thought everything would work if I just placed it on the main track, but no. Reverse/forward ok, FO directional lights ok. No luck with F1, F2, F3. F4 headlight one end only. No luck with F5, F6, F7. F8 cab lights ok. Do I need to program this chip on the program track first?. I am using a Guagemaster Prodigy Advance. I am using factory default address # 3 at the moment. I will change it later, when I get it all set up.  

Thanks,

Controller 

10 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, controller said:

Thanks IT, I did what you suggested by resetting cv8 to value 8. I did this by programming loco on program track. When I read loco's decoder values on programme track, I get a reading CV8= 151. I know I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Controller

Don’t worry about reading CV8, the value simply tells you who manufactured the decoder. 151 means ESU who manufacture the decoder for MM. This value won’t change even after reprogramming CV8 to 8 so don’t worry you haven’t done anything wrong.

Did you try the decoder after the reset?

Hi Lads, I am not getting any sound at all. All I am getting is lights and fwd/rev. I have the loco since 2012. I never opened the loco, except to replace the chip to DCC. And that only means removing a small panel from the roof. I don't think I would be brave enough to take the loco apart, and do as you suggest. If I was to take it to Marks or Murphy Models, would they have a service/repair department?. I think it would be safer to leave it to the experts. After forking out 120e for the chip it would be nice to see it working properly.

Thanks,

Controller.