Garden Sheds and Heat

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

In a high quality garden shed with Rockwool insulation around the walls and roof area, I was thinking of using an oil-filled radiator while I'm in there over winter months. I have ventilation at each gable of the shed through a 9"x4" vent and I allowed some air to circulate at the eaves by bringing the insulation back from the eaves slightly.

Would this promote condensation?  Any other shed users out there?

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, GNRi1959 said:

In a high quality garden shed with Rockwool insulation around the walls and roof area, I was thinking of using an oil-filled radiator while I'm in there over winter months. I have ventilation at each gable of the shed through a 9"x4" vent and I allowed some air to circulate at the eaves by bringing the insulation back from the eaves slightly.

Would this promote condensation?  Any other shed users out there?

Heating without generating combustion gasses inside the building is the best way to go.

Most of the water produced inside the building in those circumstances would be from your breathing, and there's not much you can do about that.

53 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Am sure you can fit low wattage, 'background' heaters to improve the temperature on an overall basis, Tony. Alternatively, something a bit stronger, but on a timer switch, to come on an hour before you visit, maybe?

Or control the heating via a remote controlled socket adaptor.

You could turn it on from the house before you even venture outside.

They will usually work up to about 25/30 metres.

You could have a light on with it, so that you get a 'signal' that the switch has actually operated (or, if you turn it on by accident).