Flintstones to Fiber broadband

Rate this topic

Noel

Flintstones to 21st century. We had endured Flintstone era 3mb DSL broadband for years but we finally managed to upgrade to EIR 1tb eFiber.  Happy days.  The main speed benefit was for cloud backups of our Macs and upload speeds (ie for DSLR photos and video, etc), which were so slow with DSL we just never bothered before as it was unusable for such purpose. Also no more family netflix congestion. :) Before the upgrade we only had 384k upload, now its 200mb up.

• Like 1

We are being constantly being bombarded with apparently mouth watering offers to transfer from copper to fiber or wireless.

The ulterior motive is that our telephone network providers want to abandon its legacy copper based systems

Being Luddites our existing plan is more than sufficient for our needs and we want to retain a copper land line for international phone calls or as a back up in an emergency  especially if wireless networks are off line as a result of power cuts or natural disaster

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mayner said:

We are being constantly being bombarded with apparently mouth watering offers to transfer from copper to fiber or wireless.

The ulterior motive is that our telephone network providers want to abandon its legacy copper based systems

Being Luddites our existing plan is more than sufficient for our needs and we want to retain a copper land line for international phone calls or as a back up in an emergency  especially if wireless networks are off line as a result of power cuts or natural disaster

I'm in a similar position to you, probably 80% of my phone calls (outbound) are international. I have a 'deal' from many years ago, no longer available to new entrants, and they keep trying to tempt me off it with speeds that I don't need, without mentioning the loss of the 'free' international calls.

My broadband is laughably slow, apparently, but is quite adequate for me - and I do remember dial-up...

We are caught in a pincer movement with the Government trying to get a return on the $1b+ of taxpayers money pumped into funding fibre networks throughout the country, the network companies trying to get us to convert to wireless or cable in order to abandon its copper networks.

Broadband is reasonable we don't use our monthly quota, we try to minimise our 9 year old daughters "screen time" IT exposure, we hate to throw anything out so analogue TVs hooked up to Freeview digital receivers, wife records kids TV programmes and wierd continental movies and gets huge enjoyment trying to manager her ever growing collection of recordings on different media.

Personally I prefer to just play trains

• Like 2

They've been digging up our road here (South Dublin) over the last week to put in "super-fast high speed broadband" of ten zillion trillion gazillion megateragiga-something per milli-micro-second..... you know the usual rubbish on the junk mail that arrives on flyers in your letterbox, just under the sign which says "NO JUNK MAIL".

Listen, Virgin eir sky, go to hell. I'm not interested. Anything or anyone who pronounces "data" as "day-ta", and trots out such base inanities as "all you can eat"...... fer gawds sake, is this what nine million years of evolution and centuries of education has got us to? - is not welcome in this household!

Rant over. But if you come near my letterbox, beware. I've put explosives in it...............................................!

10 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

They've been digging up our road here (South Dublin) over the last week to put in "super-fast high speed broadband" of ten zillion trillion gazillion megateragiga-something per milli-micro-second..... you know the usual rubbish on the junk mail that arrives on flyers in your letterbox, just under the sign which says "NO JUNK MAIL".

Listen, Virgin eir sky, go to hell. I'm not interested. Anything or anyone who pronounces "data" as "day-ta", and trots out such base inanities as "all you can eat"...... fer gawds sake, is this what nine million years of evolution and centuries of education has got us to? - is not welcome in this household!

Rant over. But if you come near my letterbox, beware. I've put explosives in it...............................................!

Very good JHB. :)To be honest had we been able to get 14mb down and 2mb up wI'd have been more than happy for our needs. This insanely fast and its main advantage will probably not be realised for another decade.  All TV will eventually move to internet with terrestrial and satellite broadcast ceasing. In the future there may be more HD and 4k content over IP. A nice little side effect of this is we have been able to cancel our Sky Sports package saving quite a few bob, because we now can watch Rugby on Eir Sports 1 & 2 and BT Sports 1,2,3 Free (ie Pro14 + Heineken Cup). Cloud backups of our Macs is now feasible. Yes all the techno babble sounds gobbledygook and the marketing cliches annoying, but the main thing is its fast, fast enough for TV, work, cloud backup, Photographers and videographers. The old 3mb DSL could not cope. They started digging up the rural roads out this way about 4 months ago, but finally got switched on this week. Its not something I expect we will need to consider again for the next 10-15 years, hopefully longer. You may see some more youtube model clips from this direction. :) Before I had to put mobile phone upstairs in the hot press, and hotspot a Mac off it to get enough upload speed over 4G to upload a youtube clip of models running.

EirFiber.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

2 minutes ago, Broithe said:

No way are you going to be able to type at that speed!

No very true TG, but uploading photos, videos and cloud backup now all become easy and possible, it was torture beforehand.  As I said the benefit of such infrastructure may not become fully apparent for another decade. To be honest for most family households 20-30mb download and 6mb upload would suffice (ie kids on Netflix, youtube, BBC iPlayer, other TV companies media players, etc, mum&dad email and web browsing. 

Edited by Noel