MM 071 chip in a 181...?

Rate this question

CFD

Question

12 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, CFD said:

Can anyone tell me if a Murphy Models DCC chip (non sound) for a 071 can be used in a 181? 

Thanks.

Yes it will plug into the 21pin socket and work (ie drive and make noise), but the sound of the more powerful 071 EMD powered loco is very different to the smaller 141/181 locos. The only light function that will work is F0 which will turn the directional running lights and head lights on. On 071 you have separate control over the head lamps and cab lights (F4 and F8 respectively). The chips I use in my 141/181s is the same LokSound V4 chip the MM sell for the 071, but they have a different sound file project on them with the engine noses of the EMD 567 and EMD 645 used in the 141/181 locos. I use http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk for my Irish locos (Neil ie Wiggy from RMweb).They have a good selection of demo videos on their web site. They also have Irish Steam loco sounds including the OO works J15. http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/page147/index.html

http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/page78/index.html

PS: You will have to fit a speaker to 141/181 locos and solder connections to the 141/181 PCB board. The MM017 locos come supplied with pre-wired speakers.

Edited by Noel

Thanks Noel. 

Its non-sound. I had one for a 071 and having just picked up a 181 at the Bray Fair recently wanted to give it a run on the DCC layout having given it a run on the DC one for a while. I have popped it in and its working fine - I did notice the lights control you mentioned. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

As a matter of interest MM will be doing sound for the 121's. This sound chip should be useful in your 141/181's methinks?

Yeah it will work for either depending on which engine sound is loaded onto the chip. Any idea if he's using ESU to supply the decoder like he did with the 071/201's?

1 hour ago, irishthump said:

Yeah it will work for either depending on which engine sound is loaded onto the chip. Any idea if he's using ESU to supply the decoder like he did with the 071/201's?

Good to hear. Wheeltappers produced a modified version of their 141 LokSound project for 121. The main change is the change of direction walk sequence from cab to cab with footsteps along the walkway and cab doors opening and closing as the driver changes cab ends has been removed in addition to new wagon rail clank noises and flange squeal functions. This removes the change of direction delay when shunting. F12 is auto-uncouple function for kadee couplings that works over track magnets. F16 is a light engine mode which is also useful for shunting and marshalling wagon.

38 minutes ago, Noel said:

Good to hear. Wheeltappers produced a modified version of their 141 LokSound project for 121. The main change is the change of direction walk sequence from cab to cab with footsteps along the walkway and cab doors opening and closing as the driver changes cab ends has been removed in addition to new wagon rail clank noises and flange squeal functions. This removes the change of direction delay when shunting. F12 is auto-uncouple function for kadee couplings that works over track magnets. F16 is a light engine mode which is also useful for shunting and marshalling wagon.

What does the F16 light engine mode actually do?

1 hour ago, irishthump said:

What does the F16 light engine mode actually do?

It seems to reduce the inertia delays in acceleration and declaration (ie motor responds more quickly to throttle changes), which helps shunting, the change of cab walkway sound sequence is skipped when change of direction is selected on cab, which is a real PITA when shunting if you have to wait for the virtual driver walk with sound footsteps from one cab to another. It sounds novel the first time you hear it but it gets really annoying when you want to quickly change direction (eg uncoupling, shunting, runarounds, etc) operating the layout. It also reduces the notching frequency suggesting a lighter load to haul. Kieth has something similar on his Zimo RealDrive 141 sound projects (ie F5=Light Engine mode, no coasting, reacts with little delay to throttle changes, etc, almost DC control response to speed inputs).

57 minutes ago, Noel said:

It seems to reduce the inertia delays in acceleration and declaration (ie motor responds more quickly to throttle changes), which helps shunting, the change of cab walkway sound sequence is skipped when change of direction is selected on cab, which is a real PITA when shunting if you have to wait for the virtual driver walk with sound footsteps from one cab to another. It sounds novel the first time you hear it but it gets really annoying when you want to quickly change direction (eg uncoupling, shunting, runarounds, etc) operating the layout. It also reduces the notching frequency suggesting a lighter load to haul. Kieth has something similar on his Zimo RealDrive 141 sound projects (ie F5=Light Engine mode, no coasting, reacts with little delay to throttle changes, etc, almost DC control response to speed inputs).

Ah right. Yeah that's a standard function that's built in to the Loksound decoder. Turns off momentum.

Edited by irishthump

Just now, irishthump said:

Ah right. Yeah that's a standard function that's built in to the Loksound decoder. Turns of momentum.

On the Wheeltappers project, It doesn't completely turn it off, it just reduces it. I've superglued the blasted 'momentum' button on my NCE cabs because it ruins the accelaration/decel CVs on decoders which can really mess up some sound programmes, usually required a reset to get back to factory condition. I gave up using JMRI because its too clunky and slow, very 1990s windows/DOS like with its Java app. 

31 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'd just like to get my hands on a 141 / 181 (lÈ- white stripe) loco!!  😥😥😥   

@WRENNEIRE Dave Bracken may be able to help you source same. Otherwise they come up on eBay from time to time at sensible prices. I got most of my baby GMs on eBay long after they had sold out through the channel. Over time stuff always seems to turn up.