First Group to take over West Coast Main Line

Rate this topic

Frying pan -> towering inferno...?

Judging by the quotes at the bottom of the article you're probably right. Amazing the amount calling for re-nationalisation. I travelled London-Glasgow and back a few years ago and I wasn't overly impressed, especially with the Pendos. GNER were streets ahead from a customer point of view. Not much experience with FGW, but used First Capital Connect on a regular basis and they were okay for a cattle train.

It has the ( rather obvious ) look of an 'over-bid', just as both GNER and then National Express did to win the East Coast one - then they both just abandoned it, one after the other, when they couldn't make the income for themselves (shock!) - the taxpayer then ended up paying even more in...

Progress is not always forwards.

Usually the 'majority' of the employees up to senior management level simply transfer into the new franchisee, just as they did on privatisation. The new franchisee needs the highest level of existing knowledge to get their feet under the table and continue seemless operations. They'll probably have a few units repainted and rebranded ready for the press at handover time but strip the existing branding and logos from rest until they too are repainted. The leasing companies will proably just deal with the same individuals but the phone answering will say a different name. The only real comparison will be several years down the line making like-for-like judgements very difficult

I heard on the radio that the price they paid for the contract means that they will have to grow the business by 10% each year for the next ten years - doesn't sound even remotely possible to me. I wouldn't like to be a commuter on the WCML - as I reckon fare increases are definetely on the cards

Big piece on the BBC 1 O'Clock News on this subject doesn't seem to be going down to well on the mainland

Didnt think the French or the Germans would be too interested in it really

Anyway, Richard Branson is understandably not impressed, but his reasonings make for interesting reading (scroll down a bit) http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/blog

Guest hidden-agenda
Didnt think the French or the Germans would be too interested in it really

Anyway, Richard Branson is understandably not impressed, but his reasonings make for interesting reading (scroll down a bit) http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/blog

Ed what has the French or Germans got to do with the MAINLAND UK?

I hope to see you at the Carrickfergus show the week-end.