Cork - Cobh line

Rate this topic

Mr Bob

• 2 weeks later...

There was someone had started doing Cobh Junction (Glounthaune) on here or maybe it was the old web site. I remember they had done a survey of it but I'm not sure if it progressed any further. 

Cobh Station itself would be a great choice to model. So many options....with North Esq or Marino Point as optional sidings. Which one(s) are you thinking of doing?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, scahalane said:

There was someone had started doing Cobh Junction (Glounthaune) on here or maybe it was the old web site. I remember they had done a survey of it but I'm not sure if it progressed any further. 

Cobh Station itself would be a great choice to model. So many options....with North Esq or Marino Point as optional sidings. Which one(s) are you thinking of doing?

I am thinking about doing Cobh Station, in a sort of Generic way so that I could run steam or diesel in it and it would still look ok. The buildings would all be correct but in a hypathetical era... if that makes any sense 🤔 for example, there was a fine water tower/ coal shed and a turntable, long gone now but I would still include them even though on the odd day, there might be a DMU motoring past .

• Like 2

Basing it on the early 1960s would allow a greater track plan than today, plus steam and/or diesel. And in steam days it would be six-wheeler heaven! A couple of Roderick's J15s will sort out the steam era, as they monopolised it in steam days..... then 141s, if you can get them at a half sensible price, and IRM's A class when they're out this year.

Ferts, bubbles.....

A very distinctive and scenic line, small stations with staggered platforms,  distinctive bowstring viaducts and a fascinating riverside section through Rushbrooke.

The railway was quite "rustic in the 60s and 70s most of the intermediate stations still had a short very rusty siding still officially open to traffic into the mid 70s. 

• Informative 2