Omagh archaeology.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Omagh had a loco depot at the Dungannon end of the station

There is a interesting tradition in New Zealand of local volunteer groups exhuming and restoring old steam locos that were dumped into rivers 60-90 years ago.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_K_class_(1877)

There is a great sense of self reliance in rural New Zealand most of the recovery and restoration of dumped locos is usually self financed and are carried out by groups that don't fit into the general category of railway enthusiasts or preservation societies

Perhaps the boiler could become a s rallying point for a similar group in Omagh.

• Like 1

I'm only seeing this post now, I've been out of the loop. Firstly, i visited the site during the week, opposite the goods yard and l thought instantly it was too small to be a loco. I thought it was industrial boiler- like the Paxman shown below to heat laundries, industrial  or commercial premises.

The boiler was found on the site of an old dump!

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 13.11.14.png

Edited by GNRi1959

3 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

I'm only seeing this post now, I've been out of the loop. Firstly, i visited the site during the week, opposite the goods yard and l thought instantly it was too small to be a loco. I thought it was industrial boiler- like the Paxman shown below to heat laundries, industrial  or commercial premises.

The boiler was found on the site of an old dump!

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 13.11.14.png

Locomotive boilers generally look almost identical to this once the outer cladding and insulation is removed...

That's not to say the boiler that was discovered wasn't a stationary industrial type, but could be from a smaller tank loco, etc. The GNR would have had standard boiler designs, so someone with knowledge of the railway's mechanical engineering could provide a definitive answer.