Is it feasible to operate two Seep point motors from a single Lenz LS110 accessory decoder output?

Rate this question

Mayner

Question

I am planning to use Lenz LS110 Accessory Decoders to control Seep Point motors. Does anyone know if it is feasible to control two point motors used in a crossover from a single accessory decoder output?

The unit appears to be unable to reliably operate a crossover with the pulse set at the default 0.1 sec.

Would increasing the pulse duration and or increasing supply voltage above 15V/1A DC improve operation or potentially burn out the decoder?

The decoder load capacity 1.7A continuous 3A peak (max 20 sec) (individual & whole decoder) supply voltage 8-25V pure DC or 8-18v AC or pulsing AC.

The pulse duration for solenoid operation can be varied between 0.1 & 15 Sec.

5 answers to this question

If it isn't, I've successfully run 'sympathetic' points by driving the distant one mechanically from the driven one. 

It looks a bit of a bodge, but it ran remarkably reliably.

A bit of 'spring' in the connections helps to be sure that the distant one is 'home' before the driven on, but that still has the scope to get 'home' too.

177.thumb.JPG.ea970b9911ee36c1d650dbfc11dc19c2.JPG

8 hours ago, Mayner said:

I have gone back to analogue operating the points with some very old Triang lever switches salvaged from the old N Gauge layout. Apparently the Seep pointmotors can draw up to 4 AMP and potentially overload the Lenz LS110 decoders.

Would a CDU (capacitor discharge unit) help (ie take the load off the decoders)?  I used CDU's 25 years ago with 16VAC powering seeps using the same old tri-ang lever switches.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 12:09 AM, Noel said:

Would a CDU (capacitor discharge unit) help (ie take the load off the decoders)?  I used CDU's 25 years ago with 16VAC powering seeps using the same old tri-ang lever switches.

A CDU would probably increase rather than decrease the risk of blowing up one of the LS110s. Luckily enough I was able to re-use the old lever frames and cable looms from the old layout and one of the frames is now hardwired into the yard section of the new layout.

IMG_3844.JPG.aa04333933e71420359ba580a0fb834d.JPG

Funnily enough I used Triang lever frames to control the Seep point motors in the main yard and DCC to control Peco point motors in the staging and a crossing place on the old layout. 

I still have a hankering (and most of the hardware) to build an American  main line layout controlled by a JMRI CTC panel with the LS110s controlling signals and switches

395805348_CTCboard.thumb.png.5178fe2d8da1a9fb287816cf78861286.png