The Sperry Train

Rate this question

FrankS

Question

G'day Guys,

Can one of you please tell me the function of the Sperry Wagon and tell me why it often runs with two of the tank wagons off the Weedkiller Train :confused:

As always, any help much appreciated, and the names will be changed to protect the innocent.

Cheers FS,

in a warming-up Tasmania

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

The Sperry wagon is an ultrasonic testing machine which scans the rails to monitor the integrity of the steel.

The tank wagons are only in the consist to provide extra braking power, as the Sperry is apparently quite heavy and the loco brake on 071s is 'soft'. It's really just a case of attaching whatever wagons are available at the time. The Sperry train has previously used the new spoil wagons for the same purpose: http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/6754449143/

Edited by Garfield

yea sure, gimme a min to find them.

Courtesy of Finbarr O'Neill on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/7757678056/in/photostream/lightbox/

Fred Dean

http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/7761886306/in/set-72157626133150257http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/7761885678/in/set-72157626133150257/

There is a great side profile [almost] shot that CSalem took, but can't for the life of me find the link. Its 076 at limerick junction with sperry unit on a 42' flat and spoil containers behind. I'll trawl again later to find it.

Edit - Found it

http://transportsceneireland.smugmug.com/RailSceneIreland/RSI-Detail-Differences/RSI-Detail-Differences-Wagons/22024794_zkgMt3#!i=1757409930&k=M4RcKWx

Edited by Glenderg

I saw a photo of an even shorter version, on it's own, in either Dundalk or Drogheda, about 2004. It looked like a yellow coffin, and neither man nor beast would fit into it .

Aha I found it! I apologise about copyright etc. but it came from fotopic, and I neglected to snapshot the owners text at the bottom. I'll happily re-apply the owners name to the image, or remove it. No offence intended.

P1040689.jpg

P1040689.jpg

I saw a photo of an even shorter version, on it's own, in either Dundalk or Drogheda, about 2004. It looked like a yellow coffin, and neither man nor beast would fit into it .

Aha I found it! I apologise about copyright etc. but it came from fotopic, and I neglected to snapshot the owners text at the bottom. I'll happily re-apply the owners name to the image, or remove it. No offence intended.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2339[/ATTACH]

Sperry's are famous in North America for using old Gas Electric Doodlebug railcars as test cars. The little 4 wheeler looks suspiciously close to an American Scale Test Car, I am not sure if there is anything close in rtr or kit form.

Thanx, again guys ~ you are a fantastic source of information to the tyro Irish Modeller. VERY much appreciated.

BTW - If the last photo IS of a car based on a scale test car, Walthers in the US did a HO model a few years ago. Don't know If it's still current or not.

This is the current corporate blurb on the above. I have a feeling Irish Rail got it on loan as part of a pre-tender submission, but instead of taking a brochure item, they chose to go with a more Irish solution. {Note totally photoshopped dude in the back of the wagon]

"IR: We like what you lads are at there in Merica, with them laser yokes.

Sperry: It's Ultrasonic sir

IR: Grand, ya, well thing is we have a spare 40 foot container in the yard. We were kinda hopin' you might tack weld your gear to it, and we'll look after the yellow paint side of things?

Sperry: If sir requires a bespoke item, as opposed to an off the shelf item, we would be delighted to price, and charge accordingly.

IR: Sounds a bell. I'll tell the boys to clear her out."

Possibly not what occurred, but it's nice to dream!:cool:

Sperry5.jpg

Sperry5.jpg

The Sperry train is in Mayo today,

I managed to get it at a few locations in the County... here are a few photos of it in Claremorris,

All photos were taken with prior permission given and a valid PTS cert.

079 has propelled the Sperry train into the siding at Claremorris to allow 226 on the IWT liner to overtake and an ICR to pass also

One side of the Sperry wagon.

And the other side-the monitoring/measuring equipment is located in front of the bogie of the wagon.

image-3870809249.jpg

image-1707370240.jpg

image-3428763781.jpg

image-3870809249.jpg

image-1707370240.jpg

image-3428763781.jpg

"IR: We like what you lads are at there in Merica, with them laser yokes.

Sperry: It's Ultrasonic sir

IR: Grand, ya, well thing is we have a spare 40 foot container in the yard. We were kinda hopin' you might tack weld your gear to it, and we'll look after the yellow paint side of things?

Sperry: If sir requires a bespoke item, as opposed to an off the shelf item, we would be delighted to price, and charge accordingly.

IR: Sounds a bell. I'll tell the boys to clear her out."

:D

Ha Ha... Sounds about right.... They dont do off the shelf around here! That said it does provide a bit of interest for modelling, but makes finding rtr models a nightmare!