Lance Armstrong Hero or Villan?

Rate this topic

enniscorthyman

Well I suppose it all was too good to be true.

He says he did not take drugs as he was only

peddling-lol.

It's prevalent in all sports Eamonn. The pressures of winning titles and being at the fore front of your chosen sport be it Cycling, track, field sports etc is what drives some competitors to do it, to stay on top. It has also happened recently at the Olympics. Look at what Cian O'Connor went through 8 years ago and that was the animal that had been taking banned substances.

A lot of sports stars are also testing positive for recreational drug taking. One of the most important things you need taking part in sport is a strong will power as well as the physical and skillful attributes. Lance Armstrong was the leading light in his field, but now he will always be remembered for this. Deciding not to proceed with clearing his name will always leave a huge question mark over his name, and I am sure it will cause some debate as to whether he was or wasn't he. Either way it's been a sad falling from grace of someone that was revered around the world.

Rich,

He has passed every drug test he has taken throughout his career and has never failed one END OF!!!

Six samples he provided in 1999 tested positive for EPO but he escaped sanctions because of technicalities.

Interesting article here from the New York Times suggests the chickens were coming home to roost anyway... the supporting evidence is overwhelming at this stage: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/sports/cycling/antidoping-officials-move-to-wipe-out-armstrongs-titles.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&ref=sports

Edited by Garfield

• 1 month later...

It seems to be the fashion - sometimes with good reason - to bring down celebrities. See what's happening over here with the late Jimmy Savile - much easier to make out he was some sort of perverted weirdo when the man's in his grave.

It's true what they say: you should never meet your heroes; you'll only be disappointed.

It seems to be the fashion - sometimes with good reason - to bring down celebrities. See what's happening over here with the late Jimmy Savile - much easier to make out he was some sort of perverted weirdo when the man's in his grave.

It's true what they say: you should never meet your heroes; you'll only be disappointed.

Report has been released on Armstrong. http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2012/1010/341109-usada-report-proves-armstrong-used-drugs/

And Saville's name deserves everything it gets.

I've watched it on Sky Sports News and read the report myself and it's very conclusive in it's findings. All cases and findings are based on evidence and the evidence in this case against Armstrong is overwhelming. The fact that he refused to fight the case looks more obvious now. We all have hero's in sport or entertainment and sometimes our zeal or loyalty to that person or persons can blind us from the truth.

He's not the first sports star to be embroiled in something like this and he won't be the last. In any case where the accused refuses to give evidence or defend him or herself it is seen as admitting guilt to the US Anti Doping Agency. No one refuses to defend themselves if they are innocent of all charges.

My brother in law is a racing cyclist and I spoke to him an hour ago in the in laws house and he had been a staunch defender of Armstrong, he has even said it's conclusive and a big let down. Sad really.

Rich,

Some hero...

“The U.S.P.S. Team doping conspiracy was professionally designed to groom and pressure athletes to use dangerous drugs, to evade detection, to ensure its secrecy and ultimately gain an unfair competitive advantage through superior doping practices,” the UNITED States Anti-Doping Agency said. “A program organised by individuals who thought they were above the rules and who still play a major and active role in sport today.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1011/1224325146302.html?via=mr

Some hero...

“The U.S.P.S. Team doping conspiracy was professionally designed to groom and pressure athletes to use dangerous drugs, to evade detection, to ensure its secrecy and ultimately gain an unfair competitive advantage through superior doping practices,” the UNITED States Anti-Doping Agency said. “A program organised by individuals who thought they were above the rules and who still play a major and active role in sport today.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1011/1224325146302.html?via=mr

Some hero is right.Brings me back to the Tour of Ireland in 2008 and Armstrong

riding over Mt Leinster and a small kids calling out his name.I always had hoped

he was clean.Biggest fraud in sports history.

For what he did in relation to his cancer and his association with finding cures and treatment of the illness, and also raising funds and awareness of the illness he deserves a lot of credit. My father is a cancer survivor and we lost my Mother to the disease last year. As for the findings of the USADA and the testimony in the report, plus the interviews with Bradley Wiggins today on Sky and Stephen Roaches son on Prime Time tonight I'd have to agree with what Michael Hutchison said about only people with no credibility within the sport would continue to support his claim of innocence.

As the Stranglers sang no more hero's anymore.

Rich,

For what he did in relation to his cancer and his association with finding cures and treatment of the illness, and also raising funds and awareness of the illness he deserves a lot of credit. My father is a cancer survivor and we lost my Mother to the disease last year. As for the findings of the USADA and the testimony in the report, plus the interviews with Bradley Wiggins today on Sky and Stephen Roaches son on Prime Time tonight I'd have to agree with what Michael Hutchison said about only people with no credibility within the sport would continue to support his claim of innocence.

As the Stranglers sang no more hero's anymore.

Rich,

Anton Savage was interviewing the american investigative reporer on the word yesterday evening, and they were discussing his Foundation "Livestrong. It seemed to be a vehicle for more raising awareness than any type of cure-finding.

http://fraudbytes.blogspot.ie/2012/01/lance-armstrong-investigation.html

Anton Savage was interviewing the american investigative reporer on the word yesterday evening, and they were discussing his Foundation "Livestrong. It seemed to be a vehicle for more raising awareness than any type of cure-finding.

http://fraudbytes.blogspot.ie/2012/01/lance-armstrong-investigation.html

Des that was a very interesting read. My family has taken part in events and raised funds for the fight against cancer. We have given to organizations in the fight for a cure against cancer, for research of cancer. We also have supported organizations that help people deal with the aftermaths of the loss of a loved one through cancer. Having read the piece in the link it does raise some questions about the organization his name is affiliated to. I had honestly assumed that part of the organizations brief was to raise funds towards finding cures for certain types of cancer. If it isn't true that the organization does work in that field then it is disappointing and I had assumed wrong.

Rich,

• 4 weeks later...

"Tour de France champion Bradley Wiggins is in hospital after being knocked off his bike.

The 32-year-old Olympic gold medal winner damaged his ribs in the collision at 18:00 GMT in Wrightington, near Wigan and was taken to a local hospital by ambulance.

Lancashire Police have told BBC Sport his injuries are not life-threatening.

The incident happened on Crow Orchard Road and a woman driver is helping police with inquiries." - BBC.

Shane Sutton now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20255862 - possibly a sustained campaign..?

Goes to show that Shane Sutton could be dead if he got those sort of head injuries while wearing a helmet imagine if he hadn't been wearing one. I think someone on the old site said they would never wear a helmet. No matter if your kids are just in the back garden on their bikes always get them to wear one.

Goes to show that Shane Sutton could be dead if he got those sort of head injuries while wearing a helmet imagine if he hadn't been wearing one. I think someone on the old site said they would never wear a helmet. No matter if your kids are just in the back garden on their bikes always get them to wear one.

Well said. Mind you I don't think the guy who said was the sharpest tool in the box...

• 2 months later...

Looks like Lance Armstrong will finally confess that he used performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour de France:

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance/story/_/id/8844549/lance-armstrong-admits-doping-interview-oprah-winfrey-report-says

It'll be interesting to see what happens on Thursday.

Edit: And it looks like he may want to drag others down with him, according to CBS News on Twitter...

@CharlieKayeCBS: @CBSNews has learned Lance Armstrong has indicated a willingness to testify against others involved in illegal doping.
Edited by Garfield

From the horse's mouth:

http://www.nowthisnews.com/news/lance-armstrong-to-oprah-i-doped-during-tour-de-france-victories/

He admits taking EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, and other performance enhancers.

There is something unnervingly psychopathic about Armstrong and the way he has dealt with all this, including this interview... even now he seems unrepentant, only feeling sorry because he was caught.

There is something unnervingly psychopathic about Armstrong and the way he has dealt with all this, including this interview... even now he seems unrepentant, only feeling sorry because he was caught.

Sounds like standard form for that sort of personality to be honest.