fitzguttentite

Question

Hi to all

first off , congrats on an excellent site { well done }

i have just retired and have now got the time to start a model rail layout

the boards are in place , the track is down ,

my problem now is im in two minds what to go at next

ballast ? should i ballast first , then paint the track

or paint the track and then ballast / sorry to sound so stupid about this but i just dont want to overshoot the runway and have to re do work again

a total newbie at this

i opted for a DCC layout { so all the track is live } with points , the layout is not modelled on anywhere just two loops with some sidings and switches

have 3 dcc baby g m,s and a few hornby models with some freight also

basically something for the winter evenings

im new at computers too so if my typing is off forgive me :banana:

have flicked through this site and i must say its excellent

my late father was with c i e during the late 40,s and 50.s so that explains my intrest in the hobby

many thanks

fritz

18 answers to this question

Hi Fritz and welcome to the site.

I usually paint the rails a rust colour and then lay my ballast. Then I airbrush the ballast with track dirt and dirty oil colours where locos might sit.

There's no particular way to paint your track its what ever way suites you. I prefer to pint my rails first as when the ballast is layed I wont get the rust colour on it.

Fritz welome, there are many ways to paint your track realistically and there is no one way better than another as it's a matter of what suits you and how much time you have available. Anthonys already given you some great advice and his track speaks for itself and is a great example of what can be achieved with that approach.

The Rusty Rails painter is a great tool for novice and professional alike. You can also get various shades of track color with the applicator to weather your rails a particualr color.

http://joesmodeltrains.com/Rusty%20Rails%20Painter.htm

Life color also produce some wood weathering acrylics which are ideal for weathering plastic sleepers with a brush if you don't fancy an airbrush. I am sure that others will offer many more pieces of advice along the way as there are a lot of members at the same stage as you are in their build. So you should have some food for thought. I look forward to seeing more of the build when you have time to upload some progress photos.

Rich,

Very true Jim. Track rail in sidings is always a different texture and color when compared to mainline track. Wooden sleepers always have a tiny rusty hue around the chairs or clips that can run into the sleepers. Natural daylight and taking photos at different times of the year can also make the appearance of the color look like it has changed. It's always a good idea to give some thought to which season of the year you wish to set your model in.

Just looking at the example of track that you have posted Jim you can see Browns, Grey's, Beiges, Silvery hues etc and some rotting of the sleepers beginning to occur.

Rich,

Another great example of what is available now Stephen. Time and patience is always a huge factor in the track laying, coloring part of a build but this seems a great alternative and cuts out a lot of precious time.

Rich,

Very true Jim. Track rail in sidings is always a different texture and color when compared to mainline track. Wooden sleepers always have a tiny rusty hue around the chairs or clips that can run into the sleepers. Natural daylight and taking photos at different times of the year can also make the appearance of the color look like it has changed. It's always a good idea to give some thought to which season of the year you wish to set your model in.

Just looking at the example of track that you have posted Jim you can see Browns, Grey's, Beiges, Silvery hues etc and some rotting of the sleepers beginning to occur.

Rich,

And there's strangely little evidence of oil drips - the concrete sleepers seem to show this much more, maybe because it doesn't soak in.

Here's the new track, before it got oil-spots in the centre of each sleeper. The cute pink ballast might be a bit awkward to replicate..

axaXj.jpg

It was wet when this was taken, but the new rails were quite a different colour, even ignoring that aspect..

Jim a lot of that pink colored ballast is widely spread on the railways in Scotland and it's all a matter of which geographical region the stone is quarried in. Naimshire Modelling sell a nice pink shade on their website in various grades. Mig weathering powders are available in a concrete variety and look really good when used with concrete sleeper track.

Another alternative is to very lightly spray some Plasticote suede over the concrete sleepers before weathering as it gives a nice textured look to the sleepers.

Rich,

Jim a lot of that pink colored ballast is widely spread on the railways in Scotland and it's all a matter of which geographical region the stone is quarried in. Naimshire Modelling sell a nice pink shade on their website in various grades.

This one - http://www.nairnshire-modelling-supplies.co.uk/b70-fine-iron-ore-red-granite-ballast-p-995.html ? That'll save me grinding up the bits I pinched from the pile by the car-park..

Thanks lads

a lot of info there

i think i will go with the scenic pens

i will try get some photos of progress so far up over the weekend

one more question ? the baby gm,s i have are factory weathered versions

who does the weathering here ?

can you recommend anybody ?

thanks for all the help

fitz

Thats a good choice Fitz and the best of luck with it. Jim has pointed you in the right direction and any of the lads will do a top class job for you.

Rich,