Silverfox GNR DMU.

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Thanks Dave for the ‘Breaking News’. It’s great to see a GNR RTR model, I’m sure Leslie (Provincial models) will be licking his lips.

It’s certainly starting to build up, 071’s, Weshty’s Sulzer, David’s Enterprise Carriages, Hidden Agenda’s Wagons and now this. Lottery win urgently required!

As Hunslet 102 writes the paint job certainly captures the feel of the GNR(I) railcars. However, did the 600s ever run as a 5-car set - i.e. two power cars with three trailers? I only remember them with a max of two trailer intermediates. Given that each power car was only rated at 250 h.p. (2 x 125 h.p. engines) hauling three intermediates would have given a very poor power/weight ratio. The picture below was taken in Amiens Street in 1962 and shows two 600-class power cars with two ex-GNRB coaches in the Howth Bay (later platform 4). I can't swear if the railcars were coupled up to the coaches, but if they were then the train was not headed for Howth as the power cars could not have run around the coaches. The variety of colour schemes would make an interesting model on a layout of the early 1960s period.

A 004.jpg

A 004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My dear Kirley

I've had a three cars et for ten years now - built for me by the estimable Ivor Hughes. Haven't I put pics up on the site at some time?

If someone will tell me how, I'll make you jealous!

His BUT was pretty good too!

Still, I'm glad to see the AEC "available" - they really started true dieselisation off in Ireland - even if in the sixties we hated the things as they were the harbingers of doom for our beloved steam engines. Remember that it was an AEC set which took over the Dublin-based "Enterprise" and knocked an early nail into the VS's coffins.

Dave, Old Boy, you're in normal expansive mode, I see. They wouldn't have moved at all with three K15s in a set!

That said, is John doing the K15s separately? I may have a Provincial Wagons engine needing coaches in the Spring.

Leslie

[quoteHis.

I may have a Provincial Wagons engine needing coaches in the Spring.

Leslie

leslie, can you give any indication what it may be please?

Possible Provincial Wagons loco?

Well, "My Man" recently suggested using the Hornby Railroad Midland Compound as the basis for a GNR Compound.

I'm not to so sure for a few reasons -

SSM have an excellent kit of it - albeit that it will put you back over £400 by the time you get it built and painted;

It would encourage people to demand coaches from me;

I would prefer a small GN 0-6-0 to pull my wagons!

That said, he quotes me about £200 for a RTR loco in primer - giving people the option of fully lined (expensive) blue or 1930s black! I'm seeking a painter who could do the blue lined livery well, then it could be a "runner"!

If it's of interest to any of you, then e-mail me via my website - if there's enough interest, it would be hard to resist!

Over to you guys - silence means no interest!

Leslie

I take the point that repaints of BR models are not quite the real thing, but I'd say an exact replica would end up being much dearer in the shops. The windows show up the BR ancestry more than anything else - they have round corners, whereas AECs had much squarer corners. In my own modellin g days, none of the RTR stuff was available so one had to make do with one's own efforts, or a repainted BR Mk 1 for just about anything!

The only thing I would add - and please accept as very constructive criticism, as the overall effect is excellent - is that the blue looks more like GNR loco blue than railcar blue. The railcars had a navy blue shade, while loco blue is best seen at Whitehead on 171 and 85. Painting the ends of carriages in the bodyside livery was much more a BR thing than the product of anything over here (like black wagon chassis and ironwork). With the exception of some (but not all) non-corridor stock, CIE and UTA painted carriages black on the ends, irrespective of side livery. GNR railcars and loco hauled stock had blue and cream on the ends usually (I have seen phots of black on ends in this livery too, though I can't recall whether it was railcars or loco hauled stock...).. The flying snail is the wrong way round on the green cars too.... Anyway; that's my tuppence half'penny worth.... great model, long overdue, and great credit to Silverfox. Maybe a 70 class next? (Runs and hides....)

I have to agree with John on the railcar blue.

The correct blue is Oxford Blue - a very dark, glossy blue, I seem to remember.

Imagine my delight to be travelling around China fifteen years ago behind Oxford blue and cream diesels - see the Bachmann DF10 Co-Co to see what I mean!

All that said, John has made a good effort and if you haven't got a handmade set, it's a good substitute and available without waiting for over a year for someone to build you one!

At first glance, the UTA green railcar looked the part!

Leslie

• 2 months later...
I have to agree with John on the railcar blue.

The correct blue is Oxford Blue - a very dark, glossy blue, I seem to remember.

Imagine my delight to be travelling around China fifteen years ago behind Oxford blue and cream diesels - see the Bachmann DF10 Co-Co to see what I mean!

All that said, John has made a good effort and if you haven't got a handmade set, it's a good substitute and available without waiting for over a year for someone to build you one!

At first glance, the UTA green railcar looked the part!

Leslie

For my money, this set looks very like the colour scheme in which the UTA painted most of it's GNR railcars in 1965! Though by that time they'd lost their side valances completely anyway.

I love the idea of a mixed set with green, blue/cream and black/tan liveries. very "early nineteen sixties" CIE! I am eagerly awaiting Paddy Murphy's 121 in grey and yellow to do an

"Enterprise" of that brief era.

Colm

• 2 weeks later...

Colm - yes, the blue usd is much the same as that UTA version (though it had blue above window line also, and in some cases a much narrower cream band). The GN version was much darker, as can be seen on the Fintona tram in Cultra, which has original paint. The MAK diesel, No. 800, also had this shade all over, rather than the standard (lighter) GNR steam loco blue.