Cahir crash 1955

Rate this topic

fitzguttentite

just wondering if anybody has any info on the accident in cahir in dec 1955

have been scouring the net looking for an accident report but cant seem to find one

any help would be great

what loco was it ?

i know it was a beet train

what were the circumstances etc etc

any info on the above would be fantastic

thanks

fitz

Edited by fitzguttentite

The accident occurred on 21 December 1955. The train concerned was a 32-wagon laden beet special from Waterford to Thurles via Limerick Junction headed by 2-6-0 locomotive No. 375. At the time of the accident the Up platform (the station building side) was occupied by a mail train. The beet train was routed into the loop but, as the rear of the mail train was fouling the crossover at the Limerick end of the station it was not possible to let the beet back out on to the main line. Instead the points were set for the short siding which ended just before the bridge. The beet train ran through the buffers at the end of the siding at about 30 - 35 mph and the locomotive and 22 wagons crashed through the floor of the first span of the bridge into the River Suir below. Sadly the driver and fireman died in the accident.

The beet seems to have got out of control on the bank coming down to Cahir. The Inspecting Officer at the inquiry considered that this was likely to be due to efforts to stop the train not being made in time for them to be effective, though he was unable to put forward a theory as to why this might have been the case.

Interestingly, just 25 minutes after the Cahir accident another, less serious, one occurred in Mallow. The 20:10 Kingsbridge-Cork goods, headed by A14, failed to stop in Mallow and crashed into the rear of the 20:00 mail train from Kingsbridge. The last four vehicles on the mail train and several of the goods train’s wagons were destroyed and both lines were blocked, but fortunately no one was injured.

The accident occurred on 21 December 1955. The train concerned was a 32-wagon laden beet special from Waterford to Thurles via Limerick Junction headed by 2-6-0 locomotive No. 375. At the time of the accident the Up platform (the station building side) was occupied by a mail train. The beet train was routed into the loop but, as the rear of the mail train was fouling the crossover at the Limerick end of the station it was not possible to let the beet back out on to the main line. Instead the points were set for the short siding which ended just before the bridge. The beet train ran through the buffers at the end of the siding at about 30 - 35 mph and the locomotive and 22 wagons crashed through the floor of the first span of the bridge into the River Suir below. Sadly the driver and fireman died in the accident.

The beet seems to have got out of control on the bank coming down to Cahir. The Inspecting Officer at the inquiry considered that this was likely to be due to efforts to stop the train not being made in time for them to be effective, though he was unable to put forward a theory as to why this might have been the case.

Interestingly, just 25 minutes after the Cahir accident another, less serious, one occurred in Mallow. The 20:10 Kingsbridge-Cork goods, headed by A14, failed to stop in Mallow and crashed into the rear of the 20:00 mail train from Kingsbridge. The last four vehicles on the mail train and several of the goods train’s wagons were destroyed and both lines were blocked, but fortunately no one was injured.

good info josefstadt....dont suppose you would have any pics of either incident?

Thanks enniscorthyman

i remember as a young child being brought to cahir station by my late father

he made the trip there on a regular basis { once a year } to lay flowers

i have had some first hand information on it { he did not speak about it much }

so im just trying to dig up as much as i can

i will try heuston as you said

many thanks

Both the pictures in the IRRS Journal were supplied by the Evening Herald. In those days the Society, due to the high cost and complexity of producing photographic printing blocks, used blocks loaned by various newspapers and other publications to reproduce newsworthy pictures. I don't know if it would be worth contacting the Evening Herald directly to see if they have any pictures of these incidents. Normally there would be many more pictures taken of incidents such as the two in question than were actually published and these may be available as prints or scans. If the EH has disposed of its archival material then they should be able to tell you where it has gone - possibly the National Photographic Archive in Temple Bar.

• 2 weeks later...