2 New additions to Ballykay

Rate this topic

As requested by Warbonnet here are the 2 latest additions to Ballykay are the Hornby Duchess of Sutherland and a Bachmann factory weathered class 66 number 66209.

I wasn't happy with the factory weathering on the class 66 as it has just been sprayed all over with a sandy weathering colour including the windows so I gave her a weathering myself. The Duchess is a cracking loco but also has a few faults like no copper/brass pipe work inside the cab or along the bottom of the loco also the rear wheel on the loco has no flange other than that she is a fine smooth runner.

014-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

020-3.jpg

021-4.jpg

023-3.jpg

024-4.jpg

025-4.jpg

028-2.jpg

030-5.jpg

031-6.jpg

032-4.jpg

Nice one! I like the Duchess too in black. I wouldn't worry too much about the brasswork along the bottom of the loco as that would've been quite dirty quite quickly in service. The big fall down of it is the front pony truck, which doesn't look anything like the real thing and certainly not detailed in the way the newer Hornby steam locos are. I will probably get round to sticking an aftermarket replacement on mine at some stage.

Oh and you defo improved the weathering on the 66! Great work!

Edited by Warbonnet

The big fall down of it is the front pony truck, which doesn't look anything like the real thing and certainly not detailed in the way the newer Hornby steam locos are. I will probably get round to sticking an aftermarket replacement on mine at some stage

Fran as far as I'm aware she is the latest as she's brand new and in the latest box (super detail) not up to speed on whats the latest Hornby. BTW do you have a link for the detailed pony truck as it does look very plain. Over all I very happy with the 2 of them also got a 201 and a 141 at the weekend as well. I can't wait till the new Hornby Flying Scotsman out next month been waiting a long time for that one.

Fran if you get time as your up to speed on whats what maybe you could do a thread on what boxes Hornby/Bachmann have come in over the last 10 years or so just an idea :o

Fran as far as I'm aware she is the latest as she's brand new and in the latest box (super detail) not up to speed on whats the latest Hornby. BTW do you have a link for the detailed pony truck as it does look very plain. Over all I very happy with the 2 of them also got a 201 and a 141 at the weekend as well. I can't wait till the new Hornby Flying Scotsman out next month been waiting a long time for that one.

Fran if you get time as your up to speed on whats what maybe you could do a thread on what boxes Hornby/Bachmann have come in over the last 10 years or so just an idea :o

Yep they call it super detail and she's a lovely loco, but the front pony truck on them isn't detailed for some reason. Compare it to Scotsman when you get her and you'll see. It was one of the original 'super detail' locos Hornby brought out so things have moved on even since then. Still a top quality gorgeous loco though, I do love them myself.

I can't remember who does the replacement pony truck off the top of my head, but I will do that and the boxes when I get my laptop repaired in a few days time!

The Duchess is a lovely loco Anthony,don't dare weather it:D.:tumbsup:

Funny you say that I've been looking at her on You Tube in the black livery and she is pristine if anything the model should get a coat of gloss as it ain't as shiny as the real loco, have a look at this video of her. BTW check her out at the end of the video when she enters the sun light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KWnXNycpHI

Funny you say that I've been looking at her on You Tube in the black livery and she is pristine if anything the model should get a coat of gloss as it ain't as shiny as the real loco, have a look at this video of her. BTW check her out at the end of the video when she enters the sun light.

The gloss finish on the bachmann Woolwich looked very realistic. I've been seriously considering putting gloss varnish on locos that wont be getting weathered for a more realistic pristine look.