Replicator2 new 3D printer

Rate this topic

skinner75

New model of 3D printer, the Replicator2, prints using 100 micron layers (0.1mm) - giving a much smoother finish than previously capable.

Priced at $2100 - probably means it'd be the same price in Euros.

http://dvice.com/archives/2012/09/makerbot-shows.php#6

Printer available from:

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

Edited by skinner75

Yeahhhh! :tumbsup:

I was over in San Fran last year and met up with a few lads heavily involved at the coal face of 3D printing ( the maker movement as they call themselves) and they were raving about this printer so I reckon it could be a god send to scratchbuilding modellers who might want to do a short run of a model for a few friends/club members but they still though we are a couple of years away from it totally revolutionisng the scale modelling industry. I have to say I'm seriously considering getting one of these.

I was over in San Fran last year and met up with a few lads heavily involved at the coal face of 3D printing ( the maker movement as they call themselves) and they were raving about this printer so I reckon it could be a god send to scratchbuilding modellers who might want to do a short run of a model for a few friends/club members but they still though we are a couple of years away from it totally revolutionisng the scale modelling industry. I have to say I'm seriously considering getting one of these.

Youre some bleedin Magpie!

Dont mind your printer fella, get the lead out and start them brass coaches!

Youre some bleedin Magpie!

Dont mind your printer fella, get the lead out and start them brass coaches!

Now now relax just becuase the Dubs were shown how to play football 3 weeks ago doesn't mean you have to get angry! Plus if we somehow manage to pox this final against Donegal to mis-quote a great man " there won't be a cow milked or a brass kit made in Mayo for the next month".

Up Mayo

Now now relax just becuase the Dubs were shown how to play football 3 weeks ago doesn't mean you have to get angry! Plus if we somehow manage to pox this final against Donegal to mis-quote a great man " there won't be a cow milked or a brass kit made in Mayo for the next month".

Up Mayo

C'mere Magpie. Any chance of a bigger photo of your Avatar? That looks like a mighty fine Park Royal.

Wow. Only one thing, who knows 3-d Cad?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2735[/ATTACH

The 3-d Cad the easy bit, the headwrecking stuff is converting the 3-d drawing to a format the printer can use.

Personally I think its probably easier and a lot cheaper to either scratchbuild or prepare a 2 d design for etching or laser cutting than mess around with 3-d printing in its current state.

Wagon Framing.jpg

Wagon Framing.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2735[/ATTACH

The 3-d Cad the easy bit, the headwrecking stuff is converting the 3-d drawing to a format the printer can use.

Personally I think its probably easier and a lot cheaper to either scratchbuild or prepare a 2 d design for etching or laser cutting than mess around with 3-d printing in its current state.

John, you know as you've done it already. Having said that, I believe that 3-D printing is going to be massive in the next 10-15 years. Even as it is, they can 3-d print titanium. http://i.materialise.com/materials/titanium

Some high end printers can do layers as thin as 20 microns

Guest hidden-agenda

The American price looks very very attractive but rest assured when it lands over this side of the world reality slowly dawns its all of a sudden become very very expensive.

Edited by hidden-agenda

While getting the 3D model ready for the printer would take time, once you had it done, you could churn out the copies. Plus, the design is always there for whenever you need more.

Buying direct from the US would probably be the way to go, and I reckon the support option for $350 would be a wise addition. Material price seems to be very reasonable, as I would imagine a kilo would make a lot of model railway items!

As for highend printers that can do down to 20micron layers - I reckon you could throw an extra 2 or 3 zeros onto the end of the price tag for one of them printers!

Most of these printers are probably manufactured in China, TurbCAD also market printers with compatible software priced from $1200-$11000 US.

If you are tempted to have a go first try producing a simple model model using one of the free-3d design packages like Google Sketchup or Autodesk 123D http://sitesupport.123dapp.com/home and having the design printed by a bureau like Shapeways or I Materialise.

Shapeways can be a pain to deal with but their frosted detail material is suitable for our use and capable off producing small detail parts and I Materialise have a good reputation, local companies that offer a rapid prototyping service to industry may also be able to help.

• 3 weeks later...

jesus, thats fantastic. any idea how long it took to make it? if you were a real technical guy and into computers (i prersume that one is needed to imput the design), you could really make this baby pay. wonder how much it would cost to manufacturer a freight wagon, say for example a tara or guinness flat?

It took 14 hours to do that model. At $2,199.00 plus the material PLA, you'd want it running day and night to make it pay. Plus the software deals in a really untidy format [.obj] which doesn't do curved profiles very well. I'd like to see how strong the finished product is. Could you make a 42' flat and would it warp?

Wow, although the model is at the limits of the devices physical size constraints, you could probably build 10 coaches in the same space / time.

I'd say for a typical OO item, you're looking at an hour or so to print....

I guess the only way to be sure is to buy one and see!