Replicator2 new 3D printer

Rate this topic

skinner75

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen the Makerbot 3D printers in action and I was impressed.

If anyone is around Galway and wants to see a 3D printer in action (not sure if it is working at the moment, i'll find out - the heater broke) we have one in 091labs. I think TOG in Dublin have a few too. You should pop over on one of our open nights.

We are currently working on building this: http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa

You can also get kits to build you own 3D printer - It isn't any more complicated than a CNC machine.

These are pretty good too, I thought they had the best design of any I've seen: https://shop.ultimaker.com/

Edited by purple

• 2 weeks later...

I would be wary about buying a printer at this stage its probably better to have a go with one of the freebie programmes and try using a bureau or rapid prototyping company to do the printing.

Besides the bureaus like Shapeways and I materialise there may be some commercial companies in Ireland and the UK that will do 3D printing can also be used to prepare wax masters for lost wax casting and to produce moulds for resin casting.

3D Printed CIE Coach Buffer in acrylic plastic (Shapeways frosted detail)

The main problem is mastering the design technique and the limitations of the material

DSCF3773.JPG

DSCF3773.JPG

Edited by Mayner

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow!

Opens curious copyright concerns :)

Buy one wagon, copy and paste!

Much the same as the Media Industry internet file sharing controversy I suppose it only become a copyright issue when you start sharing the scans.

I have visions of a Kim Dotcom style dawn raids by the Gardai and FBI on IRM members homes for illegally uploading scans of CIE drawings and Hornby, Bachmann and Murphy Models locos and stock :)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/kim-dotcom-raid-video-megaupload_n_1758317.html

• 1 month later...
Much the same as the Media Industry internet file sharing controversy I suppose it only become a copyright issue when you start sharing the scans.

I have visions of a Kim Dotcom style dawn raids by the Gardai and FBI on IRM members homes for illegally uploading scans of CIE drawings and Hornby, Bachmann and Murphy Models locos and stock :)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/kim-dotcom-raid-video-megaupload_n_1758317.html

'They' also might be interested in the fact that an operational, non-metallic, 3-D printable firearm has been demonstrated and the design has been downloaded 100,000 times already...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464360

3dgun.jpg

Must be rather worrying for the airlines...?

That's insane - print your own gun!

There have been ceramic knives for a good few years, which are enough of a problem, but a widely and easily available non-metallic gun is a very serious security difficulty. Only the firing pin and the cartridge itself contain any metal parts.

Begs the question, will anything be 'controllable' in the world of the future.

If you can print / replicate anything you want, certainly raises questions about the whole idea of gun or anything else, control.

The worlds getting smaller and flatter every day.

Begs the question, will anything be 'controllable' in the world of the future.

If you can print / replicate anything you want, certainly raises questions about the whole idea of gun or anything else, control.

The worlds getting smaller and flatter every day.

I think the bigger question is whether Government should protect the interests of the citizen or powerful vested interests. My experience with Government in Ireland, the UK and NZ drives me to a more and more Libraterian view point, although I work for the durn Government.

A lot of todays problems from Syria to the United States are similar to Russia at the turn of the last Century people have got a taste for freedom and Governments are struggling to put the genie back into the bottle.

Its interesting to see that the US Federal Government are prepared to override a citizens common law right to defend themselves when it suits vested interests in the arms industry.

The interesting thing is that US gun laws are derived from the old English Common Law right for a person to defend themselves.

Its interesting to see that the US Federal Government are prepared to override a citizens common law right to defend themselves when it suits vested interests in the arms industry.

The interesting thing is that US gun laws are derived from the old English Common Law right for a person to defend themselves.

I find it funny that they go ballistic - excuse the pun - over the printed gun, yet wouldn't bring in checks for crazy people / criminals when buying guns. As you say - protecting the arms industries interests.

Also funny are those who think that their right to bear arms will help them fight against the government should they get out of line - maybe back in the day of muskets, but all the small arms in the world won't do much against tanks/drones/jets/attack helicompters/missiles etc, should the government want to put down any group that gets uppity - Waco being an example

I find it funny that they go ballistic - excuse the pun - over the printed gun, yet wouldn't bring in checks for crazy people / criminals when buying guns. As you say - protecting the arms industries interests.

Also funny are those who think that their right to bear arms will help them fight against the government should they get out of line - maybe back in the day of muskets, but all the small arms in the world won't do much against tanks/drones/jets/attack helicompters/missiles etc, should the government want to put down any group that gets uppity - Waco being an example

Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

(Can we have a smiley for that?)

Alan