MODEL RAILWAY 5ft. SPAN BRIDGE

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

21 answers to this question

I remember someone highlighting that kit on one of the previous sites a while back. The rivetting detail (no sniggers down the back please) is very good. Well worth the money...if yah had it!

Edited by Weshty

Hi guys, & thanks, yes they are all great bridges, but i want one like the one in the link, it can be removed, it's 5ft. wide, which is just perfect for my intended plan, so as i said, "who on here has one of these, or one like it, and who could tell me where i could get one, or build one " =D

Edited by burnthebox

That's a model of an American bridge on the Ohio river he says. I've seen many bridges on the Ohio river and throughout the US that look like that one. Your best bet is check the US eBay, but be sure to check that they'll ship internationally for you. Also check US online model train supplier websites, they may ship outside the US for you. They will be in HO scale, but the difference won't really be noticeable on a OO layout. If you want one just like that one your going to have to get one from America I think.

Hi & thanks, nirclass80, yes a very nice bridge but even adding 2 together, it would not span the distance, almost but not quite, for what I need, so you see my problem, or at least part of it, also they cost $445.00 EACH, so I'm hoping my guy will come back with all the help I need :-bd

Guest hidden-agenda

Im not sure if this will help but you want to cross a 5 foot span so a piece of timber that is reinforced (like a large T )may allow you to do this or i would suggest a piece of aluminium H section (something that you find inside a PVC window frame and you can get them at a metal suppliers) as a main support for your tracks and build the bridge on to it.This means your track can be glued to the flat section of metal and your bridge built along the sides and it should be strong enough to take a decent bit of rolling stock and you would,nt have to worry as the bridge sides would be just cosmetic and not load baring.Just my mad idea and not the be all and end all of building a bridge so keep us posted and some pics as you go when building it.

As you say the cost of the made up bridges is very high, $445 for the BLMA ones seems excessive, even if the model is as large as it is. Hidden-agenda's solution would be your best bet. Span the 5 ft gap using either a strenthened piece of timber or a piece of H or I section metal bar. Then build a cosmetic representation of a bridge around this. This way you would span the gap at a reasonable cost. The 'bridge' could be hinged to either swing horizontally like a gate or lift vertically like a flap in a counter.

BLMA stuff is lovely, recommended. Mind you scratch building will get you something unique. You can use corn flake boxes, like someone on here did for a much coveted bridge that has since been felled by a sledgehammer!

A4s magnificent work was done with cardboard???

Just a quick thought on a 5ft span bridge - The William Dargan Luas Bridge could be easily replicated using MDF for the vertical upright - holes drilled for the cable ties at 10mm centres, a piece of ply for the bridge surface, clad in card/plastic to give the bridge look. The cable ties could be made of guitar steel string [D strings] with the eyelets to attach through drilled holes in the bridge road, fed through the vertical span, and through holes on the bridge surface on the far side, tensioned and clamped with screws like the ones found in plug sockets. Maybe too modern for most layouts though.

Richie.

Just a quick thought on a 5ft span bridge - The William Dargan Luas Bridge could be easily replicated using MDF for the vertical upright - holes drilled for the cable ties at 10mm centres, a piece of ply for the bridge surface, clad in card/plastic to give the bridge look. The cable ties could be made of guitar steel string [D strings] with the eyelets to attach through drilled holes in the bridge road, fed through the vertical span, and through holes on the bridge surface on the far side, tensioned and clamped with screws like the ones found in plug sockets. Maybe too modern for most layouts though.

Richie.

Ohhh talk durty to me big boy.

Seriously Richie, given some of your quality past oeuvres, I'd love to see you tackling this project, go on you know you want to!