New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Here are a few photos of the current build, the chassis are now rolling with the under-frame detailing added. The glass structure, interior lights, ceiling, and roof former are complete on all sets and the printed body sheets are now being stuck on. After that the body detailing, interiors and wiring commences. A few more months to go and we will have running DARTS- all 18 sets of them!

OTB-82 IMAG2133.jpg

OTB-83 IMAG2134.jpg

OTB-84 IMAG2135.jpg

OTB-85 IMAG2141.jpg

OTB-86 IMAG2142.jpg

The first windowed Guinness DART just out of the wrapping jig - JHB should like this one!

OTB-88 IMAG2145.jpg

and another one in cooking!

OTB-87 IMAG2139.jpg

Eoin

Wowsers, Love the Behind the scenes look!

How does the Jig Work, is it heated to form the contours?

Hi George

No heat, just ingenuity, brute force and plenty of clamps- it takes 12 hours for the glue to set so I call it 'Cooking'!!

Eoin

Now that's what I call a production line. I notice you keep the bogie frames away from contact with the wheels, wondering how do you do the coupling connections, are they mounted on the body?

Hi Kirley

I use a Keen Close Coupling plate stuck to the underside of the chassis with a four wire electrical coupler.

Weshty

With over 200 parts going into each set and 18 sets being worked on, there has to be some form of organisation, my workshop is smaller than most bathrooms and I spend a lot of time shoving boxes around the house!!

Thanks all for looking and the great comments

Eoin

.....just thinking about it! I got that figure on parts completely wrong;-

A fully loaded DART25 has 223 parts for the motor unit and 203 parts for the van- this includes all extra options, screws, connectors and wires.

So a two car DART25 set has 426 parts!!

Eoin

Weshty

I'm looking forward to that one, though wont be starting on it for some time- the bench is full and I have no more boxes!! or room to store them.....

GSR 800

It will be green, but I'm not that happy with the blue-green I've seen- decisions, decisions!

Eoin

• 9 months later...

Wow!!

I have neglected this thread for a while, here are some photos I took at the end of 2016 of the current build....

OTB-89 IMAG2291.jpg

OTB-90 IMAG2292.jpg

OTB-91 IMAG2293.jpg

OTB-92 IMAG2296.jpg

OTB-93 IMAG2297.jpg

OTB-94 IMAG2304.jpg

OTB-95 IMAG2347.jpg

OTB-96 IMAG2348.jpg

OTB-97 IMAG2355.jpg

OTB-98 IMAG2356.jpg

OTB-99 IMAG2417.jpg

OTB-100 IMAG2418.jpg

OTB-101 IMAG2421.jpg

Above is the loom for a CIE/90's Dart with DCC chip, electric coupler, and directional lights.

I will post more when I get it out of the boxes and take the photos

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

• 3 months later...

Hi

Have you ever wondered what 6 sets of two car DART bogies looks like;-

OTB-102 IMAG3059.jpg

OTB-103 IMAG3060.jpg

Contents;-

7 no. Modified motors and wired for DCC. (there is two motors in one of the sets)

7 no. Motor outriggers made up in brass and blackened.

18 no. Brass bogie frame etchings, folded and soldered and blackened.

72 no. Wheel bearings soldered in.

18 no. Press buttons soldered on.

48 no. Plastic bogie sides cast, processed and glued on.

36 no. Wheel sets installed.

18 no. Brass chassis connections, etched, folded and soldered to the chassis

I have posted this list so that some may be able to grasp what is going on here! this is the final batch of three batches of 6 sets of running gear, so multiply that list by 3 and that's for a total of 18 sets. The processing time for this batch only was in the region of 8 weeks, while at the same time other processes on the DARTs was taking place- body assembly, chassis components fixed on, body interiors made, wiring loom, directional lights, cast pantograph, and final assembly of complete sets. 4 sets have gone out to customers and two more are just about to.

Some see this in isolation- their order only! they think its liner- start at the beginning work straight through to the end and give me my DART! Well its not, the nature of batch building is you make all the same parts at one time and then move on to the next, not necessarily in an order that DARTs can be part assembled as you go. Some processes go on for months and are similar to process that might be only needed at the end but everything is set up so that end item is made first. This is where storage boxes come in....

Bottom line is, I'm working along 3 to 4 days a week on it, all major components are made and most of the time from here on in is assembling the remaining 12 sets....

I appreciate the majority of the order's patiences and for the others 'Damn them for they know not what I do'

I will never build a batch of DARTs again, and there will be a cost adjustment for future orders on these models. I'm looking at a conversion DART from a ?? (like the N DART Conversion I posted in the other thread) as this seems to be more what people want to pay for and wait for!

Eoin

Excellent insight, Eoin! It's hard to believe the amount of time and effort that needs to go into these projects. The same with our own. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes that when you're on the outside you simply wouldn't think about. The end result is always well worth the wait though as you have demonstrated over the years. :)

The photos explain how complex these hand-made models are. They are far from standard type, run-of-the-mill models and have me in awe of Eoin's skills, which far exceed my capacities.

Now if he'd only hurry up and finish my €10 china, plastic-molded,Jinty.

Oops, do I mean J10?

Edited by closetmodeller

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here is the first Class 8100 DART Model with sound.

It's a preliminary set-up as it is practically impossible to capture a clean running sound of the train, so I'm still looking for a motor sound that works. It's an ESU Loksound V3.5 chip which is a bit limited in the programming area compared to the current V4 chips, but hay it has a horn....

Eoin

Hi All

Here is the first Class 8100 DART Model with sound.

It's a preliminary set-up as it is practically impossible to capture a clean running sound of the train, so I'm still looking for a motor sound that works. It's an ESU Loksound V3.5 chip which is a bit limited in the programming area compared to the current V4 chips, but hay it has a horn....

Eoin

Eoin, looking at that your Dart model has continuously evolved into a truly superb offering. Respect. Noel

• 1 month later...

Hi

A know someone who will be delighted to see this, and I know a few who wont!

It's the Mock DART, the body was made pre window era and sat in a box until recently, now it's just about finished and ready to go into service....59f0fde913366_OTB-104IMAG3406.jpg.8ac6fc8240cedf9620dfd95804f35318.jpg

59f0fded7e14e_OTB-106IMAG3408.jpg.741263855e8143ff9a17dc6b7560c7bb.jpg

59f0fdef4d0d6_OTB-107IMAG3410.jpg.8864b59d8499b9a3c7e2f4e795ba2861.jpg

59f0fdf14e2ff_OTB-108IMAG3411.jpg.79d4cc7cd0af6c393db3c5d016dde6e0.jpg

.......the Mock DART was a model built back in early 1980's to show the public what the train was going to look like, so this is a model of a model! I wonder is that a first?

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Informative 1