New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi Eoin.

I've been watching this post with interest! (by interest I mean as a potential customer) It is always in times of recession that you see people getting up off their behinds and an idea or a thought for a business or a project becomes a reality. Regarding Irish Railway modelling, we see from the site that this 'cottage industry' is really developing and growing, and the forum is a great place to be shouting about it. We've all been modelling British, European and American railways for years, but now there really is no reason for the English, European, and Americans to be modelling Irish railways- there truely is such a great range of products out there!

So getting back to your Dart project- The quality of what's on offer to Irish Modellers is unbelievable! If you go back even 10 year we were more than happy with the MIR range (and I'm not for one minute suggesting that there was anything wrong with these products) or painted BR mk1's to represent cravens etc., but now you have Murphy Models 141's and Cravens, or Dave's 2700's and the bar has been raised, and these products can take on the best of European or British outline models.

Looking at your first (original) pictures and posting that you posted here a few months ago, I though to myself- here is a guy that has spotted an obvious gap in the market and is trying to do something about it. However, the model was weak and and maybe a little under researched, and a bit toy-like in its appearance. However, you gotta start somewhere in business, and thankfully you didn't go and run off a batch of 200 before doing some further research.

Fair play to everyone on this forum for their comments to you since- I hope you have found the comments and criticism helpful and constructive. They have certainly been civil and good natured, which is why I really enjoy this forum. Fair play to you also for taking this all on board, meeting with people out at the show in October, and sticking with it.

The images you have posted above are a vast improvement on the first model, and the model shape is instantly more prototypical of the 1:1 scale version and the roof and undercarriage detail has come on in leaps and bounds. The price has also been addressed, and is more inline for a bespoke piece like this.

Personally, I'm 90% convinced but 10% not, and the 10% is the windows not being of the glazed type. I don't feel that there is room a

for a model that's 'nearly' there, on my layout, or in general. But that's my opinion.

Finally, I'm wondering are 'YOU' manufacturers talking to each other? By this I mean, how about the likes of Irish Freight Models, Dave of the 2700's fame, murreyec etc. having a conversation about co-operating and sharing some insight, working under one brand on a larger scale, sharing resources? Each individual model release would be better subscribed to, and you could market to a much wider audience- really wow the pants off the international market!

Anyway, really looking forward to meeting you in Stillorgan and I hope this venture keeps moving forward the way it is! I think with a little bit more tweaking you can make this a brilliant model!

Dave

I think and I have said this before that the model is let down by the lack of glazing. I know that glazing would require an interior with seats and handrails for standing passengers, along with a drivers console. Having said that the model has been improved a great deal with the amended details and is moving in the right direction.

Rich,

Yes i will most definatly look at this at the Trade Show in February. Although given the general concencus from the posters on this thread regarding the glazing........i kinda agree......is there no way of Glazing this model rather than 3D Printed......??

I have designed a system for glazing and an interior, I am currently talking to a company in England selling plastic cutting machines. The body print has been sent to them for a test, if all goes well I will have the machine possibly next week- all your DART glazing prayers may be answered!

Also test moulds for the seats are setting as I doing this

Though you will have to agree there will be more work involved which will have cost implications- I have to work it out, but to busy at the moment filling existing orders.

Thanks for your comments all, it helps.

Dave, see you Sunday. I'll bring the Guinness unit for a look

I have designed a system for glazing and an interior, I am currently talking to a company in England selling plastic cutting machines. The body print has been sent to them for a test, if all goes well I will have the machine possibly next week- all your DART glazing prayers may be answered!

Also test moulds for the seats are setting as I doing this

Though you will have to agree there will be more work involved which will have cost implications- I have to work it out, but to busy at the moment filling existing orders.

Thanks for your comments all, it helps.

Dave, see you Sunday. I'll bring the Guinness unit for a look

You have been hard at it Eoin, see you Sunday:tumbsup:

Fair play to you for sticking this project after all the criticism I hope you took it constructively

Well done for trying to improve the models looks while at the same time decreasing price and then to design a glazing and interior I can only say well done and good luck =D:tumbsup::-bd

sorry have been away back now the model dart looks fantastic the model is for more advanced than the original concept that was pitched here. as i said before Eoin is brave to have shown us a model in its very early infant stage and forgiving about the stick he took initially. but fair play to him for keeping the project going i wouldnt be able to have done a project this big myself and i can imagine that a lot of cash and time has been sunk into this project.

the best thing of all is the attitude change from critical posters knocking what hes is doing to an attitude of support and symphathy. so fair play to him and fairplay to the posters who have mellowed a lot . support and advice is what our hobby is about.

sorry have been away back now the model dart looks fantastic the model is for more advanced than the original concept that was pitched here. as i said before Eoin is brave to have shown us a model in its very early infant stage and forgiving about the stick he took initially. but fair play to him for keeping the project going i wouldnt be able to have done a project this big myself and i can imagine that a lot of cash and time has been sunk into this project.

the best thing of all is the attitude change from critical posters knocking what hes is doing to an attitude of support and symphathy. so fair play to him and fairplay to the posters who have mellowed a lot . support and advice is what our hobby is about.

Well said

Thanks Guys

I got good news today, the machine for cutting out the body sheet- especially the windows, works. The DART will now have windows and interior.

I should have the machine early next week and may have some photos of a test assembly by the end of the week if all goes well!

I took an order for a CIE livery DART today from a guy in Texas, USA. Many thanks to him if he follows this space.

Eoin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just an update on progress;-

The cutting out of the windows in the body sheet works very well, I am working on the glazed window structure, passenger seating and drivers cab at the moment;-

Windows!! This is a test of the body sheet cutting and wrapping to the structure with glazed windows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6116[/ATTACH]

Here are a few photographs of a near complete CIE DART; just a few decals on the under-frame gear and a finish protective coat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6117[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6118[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6120[/ATTACH]

We also now offer a new livery - The Berlin S-bhan train. We are building this train based off the CIE DART of the 1980's, it also has a 3 rail pickup option for all you German train manufacture fans.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6121[/ATTACH]

Regards

murrayec

Edited by BosKonay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just an update I thought you might like to see;

I have now cracked the window thing and should have some images to show later this week.

Here are some photos of a mock-up interior, this was put together with the test castings for the moulds so the final castings will have the correct colours.

OTB-16 IMAG0747.jpg

OTB-15 IMAG0746.jpg

OTB-14 IMAG0743.jpg

OTB-13 IMAG0745.jpg

OTB-12 IMAG0748.jpg

OTB-17 IMAG0744.jpg