New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

Murrayec - i bet you are glad you stuck at it...i know i am. great work!:tumbsup:

Yes, but that was the idea, I just did not think it would take so long. Working on one project can get you down, especially when things don't work out. But when you have mastered something through trial and error there are little rewards!

Step by step

BosKonay will be glad to hear- 'The passengers and driver arrive in the post tomorrow'

murrayec

• 1 month later...

BosKonay

Yes, decoder, different 3 wire light circuit to allow individual light control, modification to the motor (Tenshodo spuds have internal wheel pick-up to motor wiring which needs to be removed) and programming of the chip.

The under frame boxing is different to allow for housing the chip and space to mount a speaker for sound option.

The weight system is split in two to allow for the chip housing and weight is installed elsewhere to make up the difference.

The chassis is slightly different also, but I am going to use this chassis for all models- this has come from the prototyping for the windowed Dart in trying to stash everything under the floor to keep the passenger area free- for maximum passenger capacity!

By the way, sorry about the delay of the promised picture of passengers sitting on the seats in the previous post on the interior- the drivers arrived in the post the next day but no passengers! I'm still waiting!!!xx@@!!

murrayec

100 notes for a simple DCC decoder is a bit silly. Maybe you could simplify things with something like a plug and play decoder, which is the circuit board as well as the chip. http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=61&products_id=1212

DCC Supplies is good for DCC research. They may have something which makes your life a lot easier and help bring the cost down.

Eiretrains

I have a 141 up in the attic! next time I have the track set up I'll do a video of that

murrayec

oops Eirtrains

I have a 141 but its black! I do have a weathered 181 in orange- I could change the number on the front!

murrayec

I'd share Anthony's feeling that 100 euro for a DCC fit option is on the high side. I too would expect a speaker and sound chip nearly for that.

I think Stephen it's a case of an Irish price for an Irish product. As Fran pointed out in the link he provided DCC decoders etc can now be bought for quite reasonable money. When you buy RTR now adays customers expect the price to include DC/DCC ready. As said when you add 100 notes onto the price straight away your up into the DCC sound bracket.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at the Stillorgan show yesterday, Walter brought along a fantastic creation and we did this;-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7239[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7242[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7240[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7241[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7242[/ATTACH]

murrayec

Thank's for the Pic's Eoin

walter

Hi

Here are two new items I thought you might like to see

The pantograph is now cast white metal, the fabricated brass pantographs were taking two days to construct and paint. These take a quarter of the time and I am leaving them unpainted, which will dull over time.

OTB-18 Panto-00 IMAG0830.jpg

This is the new bogie, I have gone back to the button fixing to the chassis, the main body is nylon with top-hat brass bearings to each axle. The outrigger is cast plastic which is held in place by the brass U section, the DART bogie sides will be glued on here.

OTB-19 Bogie-00 IMAG0868.jpg

This design will now be used on all DARTS

murrayec

• 3 weeks later...

As a closet railway modeller I have greatly enjoyed the web site. In particular, it is great to see so many Irish creations, such as Eoin Murray's new Dart Models. I wish I could model as well as he does!

What I don't understand, however, is the astonishing mealy-mouthed begrudgery and super criticism from some of the modelling community that has greeted his work.

Reading these comments confirms my decision to remain in my closet.

On another point, I have a collection of the US magazine Trains, covering a number of years, which I now want to dispose of. As I hate the though of just dumping them, would anyone know of a new home for them.

Closetmodeller.

On another point, I have a collection of the US magazine Trains, covering a number of years, which I now want to dispose of. As I hate the though of just dumping them, would anyone know of a new home for them.

Closetmodeller.

There's quite a few on here from the dark side - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/forumdisplay.php/26-US-Canadian-Railway-Modelling - they should find a home...

As a closet railway modeller I have greatly enjoyed the web site. In particular, it is great to see so many Irish creations, such as Eoin Murray's new Dart Models. I wish I could model as well as he does!

What I don't understand, however, is the astonishing mealy-mouthed begrudgery and super criticism from some of the modelling community that has greeted his work.

Closetmodeller.

Would be interested. Where are you based? Feel free to PM me.

Guest hidden-agenda

Closetmodeller.

Welcome to the site , ignore what you dont want to read and enjoy.

Welcome to the site!

If you read the full threads you'll see that the constructive criticism has ensured the models evolution into something truley stunning, and worth buying :) I am sure even Eoin is not unhappy with it, and indeed has met many of the posters in person at various events.