New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

As a closet railway modeller I have greatly enjoyed the web site. In particular, it is great to see so many Irish creations, such as Eoin Murray's new Dart Models. I wish I could model as well as he does!

What I don't understand, however, is the astonishing mealy-mouthed begrudgery and super criticism from some of the modelling community that has greeted his work.

Reading these comments confirms my decision to remain in my closet.

On another point, I have a collection of the US magazine Trains, covering a number of years, which I now want to dispose of. As I hate the though of just dumping them, would anyone know of a new home for them.

Closetmodeller.

I'd have to agree with BosKonay. The majority of the critisim levelled at the DART models was constructive. This is evidenced by the at that Eoin has taken it on board and what has evolved is a much more attractive model. Don't forget that this is a commercial venture and that those buying a model for a not inconsequential sum deserve to get the best that can be achieved. I spoke in person to Eoin at the Kilbarrack show last year and I think that he appreciated my comments.

I still have some issues regarding the model, the 'face' of the model and the new pantograph. On the real thing the curve of the roof is not continuous. There is a tight radius curve on each side where the roof starts and a more gentle curve in the middle. On the model the curve seems to be one radius all the way across. This may be just an optical illusion in the photos - I hope it is. Another issue on the model is where the small grey section intrudes into the front of the cab. This does not occur in the prototype.

A more serious issue, to my mind, is the shape of the pantograph head. In the model this appears to be flat whereas in the prototype the outer ends bend down. The downward bend is vital for smooth operatio[/i]n through places such as turnouts and crossovers. I feel that the flat head will be likely to snag sections of catenary where they merge. A more pedantic comment would be that the pantograph arm should be red, not toned down silver.

Whilst a lot of comments have been constructive some comments were removed and were clearly slating the model. Every manufacturer has to start somewhere and the amount of time and research Eoin has put into his project has to be commended. He is now turning out a stunning model with very happy customers.

Hi Guys

Good to see all these comments, thanks to the supporters.

Here is a few photos of DART No. 10, just finished during the week and going into its box.

OTB-24 IMAG0905.jpg

OTB-21 IMAG0898.jpg

OTB-23 IMAG0901.jpg

OTB-22 IMAG0900.jpg

OTB-26 IMAG0909.jpg

OTB-27 IMAG0910.jpg

OTB-25 IMAG0908.jpg

Finally in the box ready for its owner- hours of fun ahead!

murrayec

Dave,a stunning model is mm071,Eoin has a long way to go before he gets there the last time any model was manufactured with a body like that was triang in the 60s!,he should listen to what people want, Detail, glazing and interior and may be coach lighting.

He should take time and then bring the finished model to market not put up post's every few weeks of changes which will only confuse people, that's like Hornby bringing out say a class 56 this week and a few weeks down the road making changes to the model!!

All I'm saying is get it right now don't keep changing and he might sell more

M.

Dave,a stunning model is mm071,Eoin has a long way to go before he gets there the last time any model was manufactured with a body like that was triang in the 60s!,he should listen to what people want, Detail, glazing and interior and may be coach lighting.

He should take time and then bring the finished model to market not put up post's every few weeks of changes which will only confuse people, that's like Hornby bringing out say a class 56 this week and a few weeks down the road making changes to the model!!

All I'm saying is get it right now don't keep changing and he might sell more

M.

Which of course is your opinion. Please show some common courtesy to a fellow model manufacturer and refrain from cheap put downs please.

WArbonnt,

It's not a cheap put Dow as YOU SAY all I'm saying is get it right and he will sell more!!!

M

Killucan2,

last time any model was manufactured with a body like that was triang in the 60s!,

I think that can be construed as a cheap put down. We would ask you not to use this site as a platform to run down any other manufacturer. As someone who helps David you have a duty under the umbrella of a manufacturer to show common courtesy to other makers. We are hear to encourage all Irish model makers so please refrain from such comments in the future.

Now if you want DK Model Makers to gain an unfriendly reputation and put down others then you are free to do so elsewhere, but please do not use this site as a platform for that. We are here to encourage all manufacturers and not show favouritism to any particular group. We would ask you as being involved with a manufacturer to exercise responsibility and show some respect.

If you would like to discuss further you can PM myself, any of the other mods or the site owner. The last thing we want to do is begin moderating your comments or start issuing bans. We will now ask for the conversation to move on please.

Warbonnet,

Mark has posted his personal opinion as he is entitled to do like any other member on this site. His opinion is not that of D&M Models, nore is there any agenda intended in his post. He is passionate about seeing excellent models produced and obviously wanted to give some feedback. The post you have just posted, that is obviously for his eyes only, should have been sent to him as a pm and I now request the you remove it from public view. You have drawn conclusions that one manufacturer is bad mouthing another and this is not the case.

Thanks

David

Warbonnet,

Mark has posted his personal opinion as he is entitled to do like any other member on this site. His opinion is not that of D&M Models, nore is there any agenda intended in his post. He is passionate about seeing excellent models produced and obviously wanted to give some feedback. The post you have just posted, that is obviously for his eyes only, should have been sent to him as a pm and I now request the you remove it from public view. You have drawn conclusions that one manufacturer is bad mouthing another and this is not the case.

Thanks

David

David,

Thank you for your post. As you can see this is where these issues can arise. Mark is associated with D&M Models (sorry, I got the name wrong previously) and his comments here will be tarred with that brush. How are we to know otherwise unless it's stated? How is Eoin to know otherwise? I was pointing out how these things can happen.

We encourage constructive feedback but cheap shots are not tolerated. End of.

The comment was sent in the public domain as we show transparency. Others have drawn the same conclusions which is why the issue is addressed. You post clears things up which is great so we can now move on and let this thread be about the DART model only. I hope the point about how being involved with a manufacturer can give you added responsibility.

Let's move on now please.

Hi Guys

Good to see all these comments, thanks to the supporters.

Congratulations Eoin - it's looking well and I can't wait for the glazed version!

I've a huge amount of respect for you - both for the way you've gotten out there and taken a model to the market and the way you've taken the criticism and built on it!

I think fair dues for going out of your way to build a model of such a distinctive irish type of rolling stock....

I would add to BosKonay's comment on glazing....personally paying out quite a big sum on an item of rolling stock that has printed windows...well I wouldn't! I would consider one if it had glazing etc.. but as long as the price did not go up

Hi

Do you know what we need? we need to watch some trains go around, around and around;-

[video=youtube;kg5-nt3eIl8]

and;-

Ok the two inner loops may be going a tad fast! And the Guinness guy could not find the light switch

murrayec

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Here are a few photos of our new option a ‘Windowed DART’

The body is just propped on another trains chassis for the photos, so the chassis is showing a little! its chassis is not complete yet. This train will be at the Dun Laoghaire Model Railway Exhibition on the 24th & 25th this month.

The interior has;-

Printed coloured floor

Seats

Handpoles

Driver Dashboard

Driver

Interior lights and sitting people are optional extras

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8532

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8533

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8534

[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8535

[/ATTACH]

murrayec

OTB-31IMAG0951.jpg

OTB-30 IMAG0950.jpg

OTB-29 IMAG0952.jpg

OTB-28 IMAG0945.jpg

Saw the "Doort" on Sunday at Bray

I must say it looked fantastic.

From where it was 12 months ago at the Dun Laoghaire show where I saw it first to where it is now is a wonder to behold

Between taking on board what all the ould wans here had to say and also battling along with his own (sic) ideas I thing Owen has to be congratulated

Been speaking with my financial advisor and depending on finalised price I might throw me hat in the ring!

Eoin, will an unpowered 2 car set be available?

Hi dave182

Thanks for the comment and intrest

Yes, an unpowered 2 car set will be available, but;-

if your talking just for display its fine, though if you are thinking of adding cars to a 2 car set I recommend two motors;- the Tenshodo is a small motor! I have run 4 n' up to 6 cars together and one motor cant handle it well. Two is fine, so each 2 car set needs a motor. I have found the second car with the two motors in it works the best, but still need to play with it a bit more.

and there is really no saving on cost. When there is no motor I have to build a bogie and all to replace it.

murrayec