Shinkansen's Projects

Rate this topic

Shinkansen

Hi all,

here's my attempt at creating a rake of Mk3 coaches to go along with my Murphy Models 201. The coaching stock consists of new type Hornby Mk3s plus a couple of older Hornby/Lima coaches for the Retaurant and EGV. The EGV is a SSM kit and the very first item i built, in retrospect I probably wouldnt have started with the trickiest item!

All in all it was a fairly enoyable learning curve. Will probably give them a light bit of weathering in future, take the 'box fresh' look off and add a bit of realism.

I have had plenty inspiration from what I've seen on the site so far and know the standards are very high. I do hope to contribute a bit more in future. But first I have to go build a layout to run them on, that's the next project :cool:

Cheers, Tom

009.jpg

006 (4).jpg

012 (2).jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

006 (2).jpg

005.jpg

003 (3).jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

001 (2).jpg

009.jpg

006 (4).jpg

012 (2).jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

006 (2).jpg

005.jpg

003 (3).jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

001 (2).jpg

Edited by Shinkansen

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I have to say I'm genuinly humbled by all the positive responses to my rake of Mk3 coaches. Thanks for the big vote of confidence lads, It's very much appreciated :tumbsup: I will post up a few more detailed pics in the next day or two. Monday night's a busy one for me but I'll be back later and try and answer all your questions. Learned plenty from the build so hope to pass on what I can.

Cheers

Tom.

Hello again,

Here's some more detailed pics of the Mk3's as promised. If anyone here has any pointers on the transfers I'd like to here them. Have tried to keep it all as accurate as possible. Tricky enough to get the good side-on pictures needed for researching placing of decals and paintwork. The rake of 'real' Mk3's parked up in Waterford west was a very useful guide. Hope it's a help for anyone planning a rake of there own. Will answer all your questions hopefully tomorrow night, it's been a crazy day and time to put the feet up! :cool:

201 River Shannon providing traction

P1060550_sm.jpg

P1060549_sm.jpg

P1060548_sm.jpg

P1060547_sm.jpg

P1060546_sm.jpg

P1060541_sm.jpg

P1060540_sm.jpg

P1060539_sm.jpg

P1060538_sm.jpg

P1060537_sm.jpg

P1060536_sm.jpg

P1060535_sm.jpg

P1060533_sm.jpg

P1060550_sm.jpg

P1060549_sm.jpg

P1060548_sm.jpg

P1060547_sm.jpg

P1060546_sm.jpg

P1060541_sm.jpg

P1060540_sm.jpg

P1060539_sm.jpg

P1060538_sm.jpg

P1060537_sm.jpg

P1060536_sm.jpg

P1060535_sm.jpg

P1060533_sm.jpg

Hi all,

I have to say I'm genuinly humbled by all the positive responses to my rake of Mk3 coaches. Thanks for the big vote of confidence lads, It's very much appreciated :tumbsup:

tom, be warned ! we are just lullying you into a false sense of security....so we can hit you for a few pints at the next model exhbition!!:rolleyes:

Top class job Tom, impressive masking with the windows too, don't think I'd have the patience.

Hi Glenderg,

Don't talk to me about that masking tape... nearly broke my heart! It's the one drawback with the new type Hornby Mk3s. The flush glazing is superglued in place. I think perhaps a masking solution might be a better option than the one I choose. That Hombrol Maskol or similar might do the job. Would be handier than a full roll of Tamiya masking tape and a scalple thats for sure. Thanks for the compliments.

Tom :D

Great work all round. Is the Restaurant coach the Hornby model. I was thinking of using a standard and some filing and roof details to model one.

Rich,

Cheers Rich,

It's an Hornby/Lima Restaurant Coach. The type where the glazing is part of the roof structure and has to be prized apart with great difficulty/cursing/swearing! Unlike the new type Hornby which simply pull apart.

This one started out as a 'Grand Central Railways' Mk3 model, found it on special offer in Modelzone in the UK when I was over earlier in the year. From what I can see there's a number of different window configurations for these restaurants, both in model form and in the real thing. Mine is close enough for me.

You could modify a standard, but I reckon it would be a lot of graft. Might be better off to source a new/secondhand one and do some converting.

Could you please list the details of the Paint, lining and transfer types used in this project?? They look fantastic, well done.

Cheers NIRCLASS80

As requested, details are as follows:

Orange top coat: aerosol mixed by my local Top Part Auto factors (paint code RAL2011).

Black Stripe: Simoniz Satin black aerosol

White Lining: The base coat of Halfords/Simoniz white plastic primer (achived using masking tape).

Masking tape: Tamiya 10mm, the absolute dogs for getting clear consistent lines in paint with minimal bleed thru.

Method:

Have the paint warm, sit the aerosol can in warm water to help heat the paint up. A warm day also helps too. No point painting in a cold damp shed on a wet day cos dampness in the air will make the paint end up matt and horrible. I even warmed the surface to be painted with a heat gun (but a hair dryer would suffice). I don't own an airbrush but find the aerosols quiet effective. Shake can well. After that it's just two-three very thin coats of paint, just enough to get coverage. no need to go to town on it because it'll take ages to cure. If conditions are right it should be touch dry in 10-20 mins.

But I must stress, Aerosols and spray finishes in general level of finish is very much dependant on tempreture and athmopheric humidity. Just something to keep in mind with our cold damp climate.

Start with your lightest colour, white primer. Prime the entire model first. 2-3 light coats should be plenty.

Rub down the second with fine wet/dry sandpaper.

Wipe down model with a lint free cotton cloth or tack rag. The cleaner you can keep things the better the finish.

Mask off your white/black stripe section, paint the model orange. Again, 2-3 light coats are enough. Leave for a day or two for paint to fully cure.

Remove masking tape. Overlay the previously masked area with more masking tape. About 1-1.5mm over part of the white area, this forms the white lining. Yes it's tedious and fiddly but worth it.

Spray the satin black, leave this to cure also. it can be tempting to pull off all masking tape at this stage. Once this is cured you should be safe enough.

The other paints used on the model were:

Grey primer for the seats inside the coaches, takes the plastiky look off them.

Revell SM332 enamel for the gangway doors, A strange lumious red-pink!

Humbrol 33 matt black for the ganway rubber surrounds,

Humbrol Aluminium/matt black mixed up to make a gun metal colour for the buffers.

Transfers were the 'Mk3 Rake set' supplied by Studio Scale Models (aka Westy on the forum). They'll do seven coaches (including 1st class & restaurant) plus an EGV. Used Microscale industries Microset and Microsol on the decals. These worked very well in making the decals 'sink' into the paintwork. Might eventually coat the decals with Mircosatin, a water based varnish that seals and protects the decals. Don't use Oil based varnish as it damages the decals.

Well that's what I did, but like most things in life there's probably a couple of ways to do it. Hope it's a help.:tumbsup:

Tom

Edited by Shinkansen
Adding more detail to the post.

Magnificent job Shinkansen. Really like the look of the train in the second last photo with the carriages stretching off into the distance. It's just a pity that we don't have the opportunity to travel in what was probably one of the best type of coaching stock to operate on the CIÉ / IÉ network!

Tis right josefstadt,

never had the opportunity, the few times I travelled by train in Ireland during the 00's was always on Mk2's (which I tought were well past it) or on DMUs. Would loved to have got the chance. A mid life Mk3 upgrade would have been interesting to see. Could you imagine an 'Irish Rail' livered Mk3, Silver with Green roof? Would have been a site to see!

Tis right josefstadt,

never had the opportunity, the few times I travelled by train in Ireland during the 00's was always on Mk2's (which I tought were well past it) or on DMUs. Would loved to have got the chance. A mid life Mk3 upgrade would have been interesting to see. Could you imagine an 'Irish Rail' livered Mk3, Silver with Green roof? Would have been a site to see!

I know! I only wish!

Edited by 201bhoy