Shinkansen's Projects

Rate this topic

Shinkansen

Great looking rake Tom. A little pointer for you is to give your decals a clear protective coat of varnish to stop you getting them scratched I noticed your restaurant has already a little scratch running through the middle of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2961[/ATTACH]

Hi Antony,

I sealed the decals at the ends of each coach with Microsatin. As for the main 'Restaurant' and 'InterCity' decals, I'm still of two minds about this. There's no douting it would save them alot over time alright.

Tom.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Antony,

I sealed the decals at the ends of each coach with Microsatin. As for the main 'Restaurant' and 'InterCity' decals, I'm still of two minds about this. There's no douting it would save them alot over time alright.

Tom.

Definitely seal the decals Tom simple things like lifting the coaches could cause damage to the decals as you can see you have already got a scratch on one

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I posted. Now that Christmas is over, it's a new year and time to press on with some projects. Here's one I've been thinking about for some time. I believe Heirflick may have posted something similar a while back, possibly even on the old forum. Anyways... Was thrawling through eHattons looking for bargains in rolling stock (something suitable for my 071) when I came across the Dapol IOA ballast wagon.

I too noticed its rough resemblence to a Tara Mines wagon, but more importantly... it's resonable price tag! I picked up one a couple of weeks back to see if it could be reworked into something passable for a Tara Mines wagon. This build was not intended to be a true to life replica. More of a rough approximation. I'm happy with the results so far. So much so that I've picked up 4 more to modify and ordered up some transfers from Weshty. In a few weeks time I'll have a rake of Taras to go into traffic with 071 :cool:

Any comments/pointers appreciated. Still learning my way with this railway modelling thing!

Cheers

Tom

1003_sm.jpg

Nice and shiney!!!

005_sm.jpg

Shiney but way too long...

006_sm.jpg

007_sm.jpg

The strip-down begins

008_sm.jpg

009_sm.jpg

010_sm.jpg

Cut and Shut. The jig was a Godsend to make an accurate and repeatable cut.

011_sm.jpg

012_sm.jpg

Much more acceptable length. Body strenthening ribs and wagon ends still differ from prototype significantly.

013_sm.jpg

004_sm.jpg

Getting closer to prototype.

2003_sm.jpg

The rest of the rake will be built together to speed up the process. Excellent prototype photos from 'Tinternet' were a huge help. I don't recall who exactly took them, but whoever did, thanks a million :-bd

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent job Tom, which autofactors done the aerosol's for you?

Hi Riversuir,

Picked up the Orange for the Mk3s from my local 'Top Part' motorfactors in Dungarvan Co.Waterford. Theyll mix any colour you like and put in an aerosol for 20quid. Have an acrylic based 'red oxide' primer also sourced from there for the Taras, 5-6 Euro 400ml Simoniz aerosol. Might use this or maybe some Revell no. 37 matt enamel for the taras. Have to make my mind up on this, Have an airbrush but it's rubbish. Aerosols are so much more convenient!

Tom.

Tom looking good. I haven't done any kitbashing before and I was wondering what you used to make the curved lid for the wagon?

Hi Krose,

The curved top was made from thin plasticard. To give it the the curved shape I first cut out rectangular blanks of plasticard the same size as the wagon tops. Taped the blank to an old metal tin of dulux using masking tape. This tin had a nice gradule curve. Then heated the blank up with the heat gun. Just enough heat, along with a little pressure from a block of wood/wall paper roller does the trick. Too much heat (as I found out on my first attempt) will warp the plasticard so be careful!!!

When glueing the curved top to the wagon, I put a small square of plasticard in underneath to support it. Will post pics of all this soon. My computer has been on the blink so hence no pics for the last while. Will update soon.

Tom.

A quick update on the Tara wagon/kitbash. Have begun re-engineering the 4 other dapol wagons to match up with my first prototype. With one done, the other 4 came together quiet quickly. Have included a few pics of how to achieve a nice consistent curve in the plasticard wagon tops. Heatgun + old metal paint tin + masking tape + block of wood/wall paper roller. Add to that a good dollop of patience... I ended up melting the plasticard into a twisted mess on the first attempt!!!

As this is only a compromise and not 100% true to prototype, I wasn't goint to bother modelling the undercarriage/brake detail. That is until I saw a photo of one of the MIR Tara wagons on its side on Riversuirs workbench, reckoned I'd give it a go. Its a combination of plasticard odds and ends along with chopped up paper clips. Hand brake wheel to be added soon.

Once the 5 wagons are all at the same level, it'll be time to paint over that 'Network Rail' Yellow with some more appropriate red oxide :)

Tom

007.JPG

009 (2).JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

Thanks lads.

They're coming together, slowly but surely. Alot more to these wagons when you start getting stuck into them. I would like to know what's the significance of the cut-outs on the wagon sides? Any ideas?

Anyways, nearly in the home stretch... Paint, decals and weathering (lots n lots of weathering) ahead. Also have graffiti transfers which I'm itching to try out :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

another update on the Tara Mines wagon 'kit bash'. Yes there are probably glaciers that move quicker but I'll get there eventually! Latest updates include: Paint, reassembly and decals. Weathering to follow, altough I might build an extra few wagons if funds allow first. A rake of 5 is fine, but 8 would be class.

They look at home sitting behind 071 I reckon :)

Tara_.jpg

The Wanderers and Anthonys excellent photos of prototype were a big help during the build, cheers lads:tumbsup:

Tara_ (2).jpg

Tara_ (3).jpg

Tara_ (4).jpg

Tara_ (5).jpg

Tara rake looking at home behind 071. Matt black paint helped give the illusion of cutouts in the wagon body without actually cutting the wagon. This would have compromised the wagons structure. Couplers are unchanged from the original wagon, spring loaded and have NEM pockets.

Tara_ (6).jpg

Westys decals help finish the wagons off.

Tara_ (7).jpg

Brake gear was fiddely but worth the effort.

Tara_ (8).jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with how these turned out. Not strictly prototypical, but well within budget and their Dapol ballast wagon heritage is well disguised.