Shinkansen's Projects

Rate this topic

Shinkansen

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, just perfect, well done, time well spent, now couple of questions if you don't mind, where do's one get these kits, 2, is that bridge single or double track & 3 what's the span, :trains:

Thanks for all the positive feed back lads, tis much appreciated. When a project drags on a bit ya wonder if it'll work out in the end! Luckily it did:cool: I hope it'll give someone else the inspiration to have a crack at building their own too.

Hi Burnthebox. The kit in the background is a Kibri arched girder bridge (no. 9700 I think). Picked it up last year from the Model Center in Waterford. As far as I know site member Walter aka 'Kinvara Train' is the Irish agent for Kibri so worth giving him a shout if your looking for one. Kibri have a few different types available. Bridge span is 450mm and it's a single track. If you buy two kits, it is optional for these to be built together to form a double track bridge. Their not cheap but the detail is pretty excellent and for a polystyrene kit it turned out incredibley rigid. When I eventually build a layout the bridge will form a prominent part of it, well that's the plan anyways :-) Hope it's a help

Nice work. Just one thing about your number decals. The tara wagons are numbered 31001 - 31024, 3 were added to the fleet, converted from ex shale wagons, they look a little different with an extra cross bar across the wagon length. They are numbered 31025-027. Other than that they look good, just a little too tall, maybe fit them with slightly smaller wheel sets.

Y

a bit of weathering now Tom, and bobs your uncle!!:tumbsup:

Thanks Heirflick. It's your efforts with these wagons gave me the idea in the first place. There's a few compromises made with these but I'm happy to live with them. Cost / hassle / good running characteristics are the main thing for me. Anything else is a bonus. Yes some weathering is on the cards. Have no problem chopping a wagon in half, detailing it with plasticard and respraying it with an aerosol. But havent a clue about weathering. That's the next challenge. Only one way to learn. Tom :D

Thanks for all the positive feed back lads, tis much appreciated. When a project drags on a bit ya wonder if it'll work out in the end! Luckily it did:cool: I hope it'll give someone else the inspiration to have a crack at building their own too.

Hi Burnthebox. The kit in the background is a Kibri arched girder bridge (no. 9700 I think). Picked it up last year from the Model Center in Waterford. As far as I know site member Walter aka 'Kinvara Train' is the Irish agent for Kibri so worth giving him a shout if your looking for one. Kibri have a few different types available. Bridge span is 450mm and it's a single track. If you buy two kits, it is optional for these to be built together to form a double track bridge. Their not cheap but the detail is pretty excellent and for a polystyrene kit it turned out incredibley rigid. When I eventually build a layout the bridge will form a prominent part of it, well that's the plan anyways :-) Hope it's a help

Hi and thanks Shinkansen, i was also very interested in the wagon kits, did you also get them in Waterford, :-bd

• 1 month later...

Tha Tara project has been on a bit of a hiatus for the last few weeks. But I'm back on it again :) I have also had a go at weathering for the first time. Been experimenting with Humbrol decal fix and ground up pastels to make up washes and dry brushing mixes. Pleased with my efforts so far but surely there's a quicker, less tedious way of doing it? Seems a long time ago since I chopped up those Dapols! I'm well chuffed with the graffiti decals. Going for that well worn 'used-n-abused' look!

Tom.

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (2).jpg

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (3).jpg

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (4).jpg

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (5).jpg

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (6).jpg

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (7).jpg

Tara wagon weathering + graffiti (8).jpg

Thanks for all the positive comments lads.

They finally came together. The weathering was an interesting experience, in that the dirtier I made the Taras... the more pleased I was. Have 2 more to weather. Would love to have a few more built up, a rake of 8 would be ideal, not too big, not too small. So might be building another 3, will see what happens :-)

Will probably weather up those wheel sets too Dave, wasn't sure how noticable it would be until I reassembled the bogies/wheelsets. Tis kinda noticable up close.

Cheers and thanks again.

Tom

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

been on a bit of a railway modelling hiatus over the summer. Now with the evenings closing in tis time to get back to some long running projects of mine. Namely a Kibri 'modern concrete viaduct'. Primer coated this over the weekend, top coat to follow. Even though the Kibri stuff comes 'self colour' I do believe a shot of paint will lift the finish and remove the plasticky toy look.

Another thing I've been messing around with (and it's been floating around in the background of my workbench thread with a while!) is another Kibri kit of an 'arched girder bridge'. Together with some very simple Noch mini girder bridges and some dowel/plasticard... I'm planning a massive viaduct for the layout.

Of course none of these are strictly Irish or prototypical but I am looking forward to having them as part of my layout, whenever that gets built!

Cheers,

Tom :cool:

P1090536_sm.jpg

P1090538_sm.jpg

P1090543_sm.jpg

P1090547_sm.jpg

P1090531_sm.jpg

P1090549_sm.jpg

P1090550_sm.jpg

P1090551_sm.jpg

P1090552_sm.jpg

P1090556_sm.jpg

P1090557_sm.jpg

I'll echo what the lad's have said they look great. The way that 071 is posed in the picture really shows how well the model captures the look of the prototype. I could never take to the freight livery on the prototype (maybe it was because I was so used to the orange- black livery) but having been looking at my own model it looks good on it. I've always thought that a bridge or viaduct really steals the scene on any layout, and yours will be the same.

Rich,

Lovely bridges, and the freight 071 going across gives it a real sense of verisimilitude (if I've used that twice in the last four weeks....tough!).

I had to look that one up Des! I'll have to keep that in mind for use in me own vocabulary :) Thanks for the kind comments lads. Have been wanting to finish these yokes off with a while. The plan is that they will feature as a prominant part of my layout when built. I want to have the layout as 3 dimensional as possible. Rolling hills with farm land broken up by rivers etc... Maybe it's a bit ambitious for my first proper layout but that's the plan. Anything but the 2D 8' x 4' board I have already. Thinking about having the bridges side by side on the layout, new and old lines running parrallel to one another.

Only thing I can't make up my mind about is what to paint the Arched girder bridge... Dark grey like the original Kibri/Noch bridges? Pale green like alot of the viaducts on the Lee estuary on the way into Cork city? Or red oxide like the Forth Railway Bridge (all time favourite architectural nerd bridge!!!).

The Faux Tara rake will be 8 instead of 5 soon. Picked up 3 more Dapol ballast wagons ready for the chop once the viaducts are complete :)

Tom