New Hornby Class 67

Rate this topic

Apologies for the poor pics, but a glimpse of the new Hornby EWS Class 67 which arrived today. Has been chipped but no detail parts added yet. First impressions are that it's quite nice. Needs weathering though!

Amended Hornby packaging. Much better than the old splitting packaging and similar to the current Bachmann arrangement.

003.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Fran is she all wheel drive with the new type motor lights etc. Cracking looking model looking forward to seeing this one haul some big trains on Brens layout I hope they bring out a DB Schenker I got a class 59 in that livery and I hoping to do a chassis swap for a Bachmann 66 when time permits. Some more pic please.

Yep brand spanking new model with all wheel drive, bells and whistles.Weighs a ton.

I hope someone does an up to date 59 soon, I'd have 4 or 5!

Yep brand spanking new model with all wheel drive, bells and whistles.Weighs a ton.

I hope someone does an up to date 59 soon, I'd have 4 or 5!

I'd have thought Bachmann would have been the most likely candidate Fran. The model doesn't look bad at all, the bogies look quite good compared to the previous incarnation from Lima. It makes you wonder will they still produce that in the Railroad range.

Rich,

Fran this the model I got and this is what I plan to do with it sometime in the future

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-59/index.htm

Interesting and lovely build Anthony, I think that would make for a great 'how to' feature on here and might attempt similar with my Lima 59 if I come across a cheap 66 chassis. Was also thinking of doing a similar rebuild with a Lima 201 using Kato parts. Another two for the 'to do' pile!

I'd have thought Bachmann would have been the most likely candidate Fran. The model doesn't look bad at all, the bogies look quite good compared to the previous incarnation from Lima. It makes you wonder will they still produce that in the Railroad range.

Rich,

It has some lovely touches Rich; see through grill and internal detail ala the Hornby 60, no opening cab doors (praise the lord!) the bodyside ribs are excellent and lots of detail below the chasis (air dryers etc) The printed on horn grills are a tad disappointing though. I only had a quick look at her last night when I was putting a chip in, need to have a closer look.

Fran this the model I got and this is what I plan to do with it sometime in the future

Now this has really got my attention. Anto I have no doubt that you will produce a first class 59 from this project. I am assuming that it is a 59-2 class. You have all the ammunition needed for such a project. Have a good look at some class 59 pictures especially the outer ends of the bogies as they may need some extra bits added. If you can come across an A1 models class 59 detailing kit along the way snap it up. It would include brass roof grille, side grilles, chassis skirt etc. A set of class 66 sprung buffers would look nice also.

I think it's great that yourself and Fran (working on his American loco) are working on projects like this at the moment. This is what modelling is all about and more people should be having a go and testing themselves. If things aren't going as planed don't give in relax and try again. Anthony and Fran didn't get to the point where they are ready to tackle something like this without trying and having a go. As I said I have 100% faith that this will be a winner, and my own personal hope is that more people will be inspired to have a go at something similar. You don't know until you try.

Rich,

yep, all the DB-S 59's are the 59/2s. A bit too modern for me liverywise, I like the earlier ARC, Yeoman and National Power liveres myself but they look smart in Red.

I'll be updating my blog further now I managed to replace the screen in my laptop (put my phone through it, replaced it last night with a kit, good as new) in the next couple of days.

yep, all the DB-S 59's are the 59/2s. A bit too modern for me liverywise, I like the earlier ARC, Yeoman and National Power liveres myself but they look smart in Red.

I'll be updating my blog further now I managed to replace the screen in my laptop (put my phone through it, replaced it last night with a kit, good as new) in the next couple of days.

Fran I also think that there was one of the earlier ones in Foster Yeoman and DB Schenker blue and red livery loaned to DB Schenker. I also think the light clusters were different on the earliest builds and one of them had a bell on the cab. Good news about the laptop I look forward to the blog update. I may replace the pc with a laptop eventually, a 17" monitor would be preferable, any tips.

Rich,

Fran I also think that there was one of the earlier ones in Foster Yeoman and DB Schenker blue and red livery loaned to DB Schenker. I also think the light clusters were different on the earliest builds and one of them had a bell on the cab. Good news about the laptop I look forward to the blog update. I may replace the pc with a laptop eventually, a 17" monitor would be preferable, any tips.

Rich,

I've just done a quick overview of the 59s, different types etc http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/909-Class-59-A-brief-look-at-the-different-types

As for laptops, I quite like my HP G6, but they're all pretty good these days. Go Lenovo if you can afford it, but plenty of the middle-of-the-road such as Dell are grand. I reckon Bos would give better advice than me. I'd stay clear of Apple though, overpriced and over hyped fashion accessories!

Now this has really got my attention. Anto I have no doubt that you will produce a first class 59 from this project. I am assuming that it is a 59-2 class. You have all the ammunition needed for such a project. Have a good look at some class 59 pictures especially the outer ends of the bogies as they may need some extra bits added. If you can come across an A1 models class 59 detailing kit along the way snap it up. It would include brass roof grille, side grilles, chassis skirt etc. A set of class 66 sprung buffers would look nice also.

I think it's great that yourself and Fran (working on his American loco) are working on projects like this at the moment. This is what modelling is all about and more people should be having a go and testing themselves. If things aren't going as planed don't give in relax and try again. Anthony and Fran didn't get to the point where they are ready to tackle something like this without trying and having a go. As I said I have 100% faith that this will be a winner, and my own personal hope is that more people will be inspired to have a go at something similar. You don't know until you try.

Rich,

Yes Rich it will make for a fun project. I came across that site whilst researching the 59 and it provides valuable information. I've been looking out for 59/66 detail parts but I won't order from A1 models as I got bit by them in the past. I can't stand on line shops who take your money when they don't have the item in stock or in their case they were waiting on it to be manufactured but still advertising it online. Starting to build up a nice collection of English models with the 66,59,57's,47,73,55 and my newest purchase a Heljan 33 in WCR livery which is on its way to me as we speak. I have a big soft spot for the WRC and it allows me to have a banker when running my increasing collection of UK kettles

If you're looking to do some body detailing this guy on the old RMWeb did an amazing job on a 59, he used the Bachmann 66 guts too.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=29258

Edited by Warbonnet

If you're looking to do some body detailing this guy on the old RMWeb did an amazing job on a 59, he used the Bachmann 66 guts too.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=29258

Fran I didn't have a chance to look at the link but I'm assuming you are talking about Pugsley (Martin McDermott) and his work. Pugsley's modelling especially his weathering techniques and use of different artists mediums oils, gouaches, powders, dry brushing etc is amazing. For anyone that feels a bit reluctant to shell out on an airbrush or compressor his uses of the other materials produce amazing results.

His work is probably seen as an inspiration for many people to have a go at some modelling projects themselves. I would certainly put him on a par with Martin Welch and that is big praise. I followed the class 59 thread on RM web religiously and felt his pain as he really took the model to a new level. He worked on the side grille in brass on the mechanical end of the model and it produced a great result. The use of different gauges of wire and florists wire was fantastic, and he also used brass for the support struts on the main chassis. I remember seeing his class 47 loco weathering finish on Model Trains Weathered and he got some great praise from the American godfathers of the art. He also uses Model Color and Model Air acrylics in earthy tones and sandy colors to great effect and mixes all his own paint colors. The build of the Class 37 sprung bogies in 0 Gauge are in a different league. It's well worth a look for anyone wanting to learn and the chap is very friendly and always offers advice and encouragement to people.

Rich,

Fran I didn't have a chance to look at the link but I'm assuming you are talking about Pugsley (Martin McDermott) and his work. Pugsley's modelling especially his weathering techniques and use of different artists mediums oils, gouaches, powders, dry brushing etc is amazing. For anyone that feels a bit reluctant to shell out on an airbrush or compressor his uses of the other materials produce amazing results.

His work is probably seen as an inspiration for many people to have a go at some modelling projects themselves. I would certainly put him on a par with Martin Welch and that is big praise. I followed the class 59 thread on RM web religiously and felt his pain as he really took the model to a new level. He worked on the side grille in brass on the mechanical end of the model and it produced a great result. The use of different gauges of wire and florists wire was fantastic, and he also used brass for the support struts on the main chassis. I remember seeing his class 47 loco weathering finish on Model Trains Weathered and he got some great praise from the American godfathers of the art. He also uses Model Color and Model Air acrylics in earthy tones and sandy colors to great effect and mixes all his own paint colors. The build of the Class 37 sprung bogies in 0 Gauge are in a different league. It's well worth a look for anyone wanting to learn and the chap is very friendly and always offers advice and encouragement to people.

Rich,

That's the man Rich, he's a great modeller and a stand-up guy too it seems, although I've never spoken to him he seems like a decent skin. Unfortunately I find some of the big hitters on Rmweb, while being in some cases absolutely fantastic modellers, to be extremely condescending and full of of their own self importance. Sadly it puts me off posting on it that much as they seem to be indulged by the hierarchy. But that's a discussion for another time and another place.

A word to the wise to anyone buying one of these http://railexclusive.com/index.php?category=132

I'll be inspecting mine when I get home later. Needless to say I'm shocked that Hornby would turn out something so shoddy.

Fran the content of that link is very worrying. I am appalled at the state of the models and the packaging and to offer those models for sale to the modellers that have supported the manufacturer in their modelling lives is disgraceful. I think a lot of the problem has it's origin in the factory that produce the models. There have been too many models reaching the shelves with poor finishing and errors dimension wise over the last few years. It seems that if a manufacturer does not have someone on the ground in the factories where the models are produced, then you can have very little hands on input in the manufacturing process. By the time errors are spotted it's too late as the tooling has already been produced and to rectify the problems would lead to new tooling and more cost to the manufacturer.

It's a bit uncertain at this time to hope that a top class model will be produced for the price it will sell for. It doesn't bode well.

Rich,

I wonder if I know where this is going? :confused:

It's pretty unlike that they're going to be available as spares tho'

-Rob

Rob I have some Details West large and small filters ready to go. They are a bit overscale for H0 and look just about spot on for 00. I may have looked at the avenue of seeing if the class 67 large air dryer filters would have been available as spares otherwise.

I have brass rod and have tried using it with telescopic brass tube but the results aren't really what I was hoping for, and more experiment will have to take place to see how the elbows and reducers for the pipe work can be modelled satisfactorily. Some of the pipes are inch and inch and a half, some of the smaller pipes would probably require fuse wire to model them but it would be hard work to get it to look right and keep it's shape while handling the model.

Nevertheless I will stick at it.

Rich,

Rich,

When I was going through my first US railroading phase 7-8 years back I recall being 'underwhelmed' with Details West parts, they needed quite a bit of fittin' an' fettlin', or I could have just been unlucky... Anywho moving on. It's handy that their filters are a bit overscale in this case! I can't decide whether the 201's underframe niggles me enough to fix it, bearing in mind that any remedies will make that part of the model pretty bloomin' delicate.

Also...

You do realise that once you've worked out a viable solution, a tutorial with pics will be required :P

Thinking on...

The best chance of getting underframe spares for the new 67 would probably be by contacting East Kent Models - they break current Chinese production Hornby models to supply the unobtainium spares. I've used them in the past for parts that Hornby themselves were unable to supply.

http://www.eastkentmodels.co.uk/

Regards,

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Warbonnet that 67 looks great. They are a great machine, great to see a GM powered Bobo that's also built for speed work. Pity the IR board didn't think of that type of spec loco in nineties prior to ordering the heavy 201 class. They'd look great in p/p trains on the Cork/Belfast lines, don't know how their availability matches up to 201s, but I'm sure they are well up the reliability tables in the UK.

Warbonnet that 67 looks great. They are a great machine, great to see a GM powered Bobo that's also built for speed work. Pity the IR board didn't think of that type of spec loco in nineties prior to ordering the heavy 201 class. They'd look great in p/p trains on the Cork/Belfast lines, don't know how their availability matches up to 201s, but I'm sure they are well up the reliability tables in the UK.

Actually, the class 67 would be subject to even more restrictions than the 201 class if it were to run here, because it has a higher axle loading...

Class 67: weighs 90 tonnes / 4 axles / axle loading = 22.5 tonnes

201 Class: weighs 112 toones / 6 axles / axle loading = 18.67 tonnes

The Per Way lads wouldn't like the look of that at all! :)

Edited by Garfield

As Patrick says the 67 is a bit of a fatty Sulzer. The plan was co-co using a licensed 125mph design from Brush (the type used under the class 89 'Badger' prototype) but Brush refused. The 67 now has a low route availability in the UK compared to say, a 37 or a 66. Solid enough though, ala most GM locos.

Good points there lads and never thought of the axle loadings being higher than 201s, even though the 67s are 22Ts lighter overall. The low RA must also be a restrictive consideration for TOCs in the UK. Very nice looking loco, pacy and efficient and can keep timings on the faster routes. For me they are one of the nicest looking locos in the UK. I reckon PW staff were not always happy with the 201s either, I remember them running on DSER route on jointed track, hauling heavy ferts and IFI ammonia trains and did they make the track move under them. No surprise that a PW man walked each beat daily to keep a close eye on things!