Class 59 - A brief look at the different types

Rate this topic

I prefer them to the 66's myself.

Rich,

+1. Don't mind 66s too much myself but they did do away with a lot of variety. 59s had some better liveries and their underframe is more interesting. Great locos overall.

I have a Lima one buried somewhere but will celebrate with the credit card when a new generation top spec model is released. Here's hoping Bachmann sort me out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Who had announced the 59? Knew Dapol were doing one in N gauge for a good while now

DJ Models, or DJM (Dave Jones formerly of Dapol) announced it in OO, however the owners of the 1:1 locos and their livery rights, proved uncooperative, causing Dave to have to take the decision to cancel the model. There are still rumours of Dapol themselves doing a OO 59 swirling about, but if I were you, I would not hold my breath.

DJ Models, or DJM (Dave Jones formerly of Dapol) announced it in OO, however the owners of the 1:1 locos and their livery rights, proved uncooperative, causing Dave to have to take the decision to cancel the model. There are still rumours of Dapol themselves doing a OO 59 swirling about, but if I were you, I would not hold my breath.

I'm breathing normally as Dapol have confirmed their model. They do an N gauge version too so they already have the livery rights. The Dapol model is advertised as being fitted with a smoke generator which will be interesting

I'm breathing normally as Dapol have confirmed their model. They do an N gauge version too so they already have the livery rights. The Dapol model is advertised as being fitted with a smoke generator which will be interesting

Confirmed by Dapol? ALRIGHT!!

Smoke gens, in diesel models. Hmmm. I'm not over enthused. ESU fit them to their HO Class 66 and Class 77s (among others). Search youtube for 'ESU Class 66' - it looks wrong to me, smoke does not 'scale' very well.

Anyway, I'm off to save my money for the Dapol 59, got to collect 'em all!

Confirmed by Dapol? ALRIGHT!!

Smoke gens, in diesel models. Hmmm. I'm not over enthused. ESU fit them to their HO Class 66 and Class 77s (among others). Search youtube for 'ESU Class 66' - it looks wrong to me, smoke does not 'scale' very well.

Agreed. It'll look AWFUL. But at least you should be able to turn them off via DCC.

Thanks for that - forgotten about DJ. Probably since Dapol announced the N gauge model a good few years ago (and still waiting), just missed the OO annoucement

• 2 weeks later...

just reading the fora, the general view is the class 59s are liked by the drivers but they seem to not like the class 66, which is a body derivative

funny too how the control desks are very different in these two classes as well, the 66 almost is a step backwards

maybe it was built to a cheaper spec or something

just reading the fora' date=' the general view is the class 59s are liked by the drivers but they seem to not like the class 66, which is a body derivative funny too how the control desks are very different in these two classes as well, the 66 almost is a step backwards maybe it was built to a cheaper spec or something[/quote'] The 59s were built properly by EMD, partly due to real tight guidelines set out by BR to comply with their regulations as they were to be first privately owned locos to operate on BR metals and partly to secure future orders in the UK. The controls were to be the same as those in the 58 when it Came to layout etc. During the 80s EMD quality took a bit of a nose dive and they lost market share domestically to GE and their latest product at the time, the SD50 was a dog. Terrible reliability due to stretching the 645 prime mover beyond its capabilities. They haven't really recovered ground in the US since.

The 66 was built to a price, with rugged and dependable prime mover and electrics but withstand tin shed and not much creature comforts for the driver. Drafty, poor seats and shocking vibrations from the motor being bolted directly to the frame. I would wager our 201s would possess similar issues.

The 59s were built properly by EMD, partly due to real tight guidelines set out by BR to comply with their regulations as they were to be first privately owned locos to operate on BR metals and partly to secure future orders in the UK. The controls were to be the same as those in the 58 when it Came to layout etc.

During the 80s EMD quality took a bit of a nose dive and they lost market share domestically to GE and their latest product at the time, the SD50 was a dog. Terrible reliability due to stretching the 645 prime mover beyond its a capabilities. They haven't really recovered ground in the US since. The 66 was built to a price, with rugged and dependable prime mover and electrics but withstand tin shed and not much creature comforts for the driver. Drafty, poor seats and shocking vibrations from the motor being bolted directly to the frame. I would wager our 201s would possess similar issues.

Thats explains a lot of comments, I wonder how our 201s would pan out if the fleet was in constant use

interesting , given the Class 66 success in the UK , its doubly strange that it did succeed, there now seems to be a lot of doubts that they will age well.

I don't think the shareholders in the UK freight companies care much about the drivers who operate their trains and their complaints. At the end of the day they're very reliable and get the job done, unlike the British products of similar vintage. Their biggest black mark would be fuel efficiency of course, hence the small renaissance of the 60s.

The mechanicals will keep going, parts support is always going to be first class and the bodywork will always be cheap to mend when it comes to corrosion. Once fuel stays on the cheap side they'll be favoured for a good while yet I reckon.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...