Two new 7mm locomotives

Rate this topic

David Holman

Finally got round to finishing the J26 0-6-0T and the Sligo 'Small Tank', so here are a few pictures.

The J26 is a Tyrconnel kit [from Alphagraphix], built as per instructions. Etchbrass, with whitemetal fittings & seems to look the part

The Small Tank [Hazlewood] is a North Star kit. Sadly no longer available, the draughtsmanship of the etches was superb & included the HUNDREDS of rivets which needed pressing out. Made a few departures from the excellent instructions in that fitted wooden buffer beams, instead of etched & fettled the smokebox door to make it more bulbous, as per the prototype. A representation of inside valve gear also added, as there is a noticeable gap between the frames without.

A second kit for a small tank awaits my attention, will probably appear as Fermanagh, though would also like to build a Large Tank as well. If anyone has any drawings, I'd be very interested.

Both locos have been spray painted, intially with Halfords matt black, then weathered with airbrush & powders, crayons etc to give a rather well worn appearance.

IMG_2009 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2008 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2004 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2009 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2008 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2004 - Copy.jpg

Beautifull those small tanks certainly have a Jurrasic look about them compared to the later SLNCR tanks.

The Manchester Museum of Science and Technology should have the original GAs for the big tanks & Loughs.

I am sorely tempted to have a go at one of those Tyrconnel kits but just might try 9mm on G scale track in the garden

Have had a look at the MMST site without success, but will have another try. The Tyrconnel kits seem well designed & are good value, though the castings needed a bit of work on my J26. Some lovely prototypes though & well worth a try, even if only for a display model. Could become a habit though!