New layout

Rate this topic

enterprise207

Well to start off with, you've a fatastic space!

Is it an attic, shed, garage, room?

The key thing for me was what I 'enjoyed' was the first consideration.

Do you like

- watching trains go by, or running through countryside

- shunting wagons and putting together trains

- admiring your locos in a depot / tmd style setting

There are lots of ways to build a layout, end to end, fiddle to station, TMDs are hugely popular these days too. The key thing is to understand what you want from the layout.

For me, I enjoy the running through countryside bit, but was more interested in the operational side, so I designed a track plan that gives me lots of operations, shunting coaching stock, shunting fraight, loco release, engines running off shed, per way work, etc.

This way I have a double mainline loop, a branch to a fiddle yard with a reverse loop and three (if not four) busy shunting 'zones' - a largish terminus station, a small DMU stabling and fueling area, a freight yard with per way sidings, a loco shed and fueling point, a preserved steam/diesel workshop/depot and a small cement works / quarry scene.

This way even three or four operators could be busy preparing trains and shunting stuff around while 3-4 trains circuit the mainline giving plenty to watch going buy, or you can just leave the stock looking pretty and watch the trains go by :) (for me, this was a key requirement in creating a loop / oval / circuit design, so I could set trains off and chill out with a beer :) )

Let us know more details about the space, the room the layout will be in, if it needs to be mobile, or can be fixed, and we can offer more suggestions :)

Well to start off with, you've a fatastic space!

Is it an attic, shed, garage, room?

The key thing for me was what I 'enjoyed' was the first consideration.

Do you like

- watching trains go by, or running through countryside

- shunting wagons and putting together trains

- admiring your locos in a depot / tmd style setting

There are lots of ways to build a layout, end to end, fiddle to station, TMDs are hugely popular these days too. The key thing is to understand what you want from the layout.

For me, I enjoy the running through countryside bit, but was more interested in the operational side, so I designed a track plan that gives me lots of operations, shunting coaching stock, shunting fraight, loco release, engines running off shed, per way work, etc.

This way I have a double mainline loop, a branch to a fiddle yard with a reverse loop and three (if not four) busy shunting 'zones' - a largish terminus station, a small DMU stabling and fueling area, a freight yard with per way sidings, a loco shed and fueling point, a preserved steam/diesel workshop/depot and a small cement works / quarry scene.

This way even three or four operators could be busy preparing trains and shunting stuff around while 3-4 trains circuit the mainline giving plenty to watch going buy, or you can just leave the stock looking pretty and watch the trains go by :) (for me, this was a key requirement in creating a loop / oval / circuit design, so I could set trains off and chill out with a beer :) )

Let us know more details about the space, the room the layout will be in, if it needs to be mobile, or can be fixed, and we can offer more suggestions :)

Thanks, its in a shed. Do you know any good track planning software for mac? I've tried xtrkcad but i didn't work... I'd prefer to have it moveable but I don't mind having it stuck

Edited by enterprise207

A couple of questions enterprise that might help with the design.

01: Have you a specific era you want to model?

02: Have you a specific area in mind? Rural/Urban/Exact Replica/Approximate

03: Does your stock dictate the type of activities that you'd like? Ballast loading/weedspraying/freight/passenger/DMU/ etc. This will put some limits on your design, but that's a good thing. Several diorama locations is more pleasing than everything piled up in one location, and allows you to work on small areas at a time, rather than jumping into the daunting task [after tracklaying] of scenery etc.

Once you've run through those questions, we'll have a clearer idea of what you're going for.

Lastly, a tip that should be front and centre in all of this. Designing on a computer is like trying to cook with a microwave. Start with a pencil and paper, gridded maths stuff if you're not comfortable with drawing, and scribble, sketch, start again, overlay with tracing, do the wildest layout and then trim it down each time. Only then should you go near the Mac. To butcher a well known phrase, "Lay track in haste, repent at leisure"

Richie.

Do you know any good track planning software for mac?

Have a look at Rail Modeller - I'll admit I last used it a few years ago when I was using sectional Kato HO Unitrack, and don't really know whether it's up to what you need - worth a look? It must be pretty simple If I could work out how to use it - I can never get my head around Xtrkcad :(

-Rob

Hi Robert, try Scarm software, its simple to use and its free. http://www.scarm.info I'm not sure if its available for mac. Also try http://www.freetrackplans.com you will get some good ideas from there.

I have built a number of layouts in sheds, if you want to make your layout removable build it on a sheet of ply of MDf in sections, then just drop them into place on your layout. Check out my page in the services section to see what I mean.

Best bit of advise I can give is research, research, research!

My idea would be somewhere on the Cross-Border Line, in the mid 90s! At that time, there was a huge variety of stock. For the enterprise alone, you could have DD sets, 201s in IE livery with mk2s, 111s with NIR mk2s or 201s with mk3s push-pulls. You could have some commuter stock, for example, mk3 push-pulls, cravens and arrow units that you were asking about :) you could still have plenty of freight too. Waterford-Derry timber trains, fertiliser, guiness liners, Bell liners (I think!) and cement bubbles could all still be seen on the line at the time, and could be hauled by 201s, 071s, 141s or 121s :) 111s would also make a nice change of scene to the IE orange! If you were going to going to model it on somewhere prototypical, Drogheda would be good, as you could also incorporate the Tara mines trains (and possibly the Boyne viaduct!), and if not, then somewhere close to the border would be good. You could have a small loco depot that would locos from the other side of the border and refueling point, some carriage sidings, a cement silo and maybe a container yard if you want!

I did my own plan for the craic, and I think it has a lot of potential :) A cement silo, some commuter platforms, and mainline platform capable of holding a 201 and 7 mk3 or mk2s, and a loco depot. But it's obviously up to you and depends of your style and taste! You could have a scenic break just above the cement silo with a road bridge or something.

I used anyrail's 50-piece free demo for the plan btw

Cross-border layout.jpg

Cross-border layout.jpg

Hi Enterprise207.

We all have our different ways of doing things.

Me, I just go with the flow.

I had a rough idea of what I wanted and that was full length trains, lots of action as in running and passing by and to use my other passion of filming them. :trains:

Space was not a big problem as I was putting it into the loft but I had to first floor out the loft and insulate the best I could.

Next I built the bace boards, some at 3ft wide and some at 2ft wide depending on access to the far side of the board.

I also wanted an upper and lower level.

After some of the boards were made and fixed in place I then just placed track and points on the boards, put some stock on the track, place in some platforms and away I went.

Stand back and admire, is this what I want, if not just relay.

The other thing I tried to take into consideration was the points position in regards to the bace boards bracing.

If you are going to use under board point motors the last thing you want is a wooden brace in the way.

Take a look at some of the pictures and videos on this site and on uTube that will give you the inspiration for what you want.

Loads of people on this site will give you any help you need but it needs to be YOUR layout and design, thats the whole point of YOUR layout.

Take inspiration from others to do your own thing.

Good luck and you know where we are for your help and guidance.

Wiggy.

Edited by wiggy

Hi Enterprise207.

We all have our different ways of doing things.

Me, I just go with the flow.

I had a rough idea of what I wanted and that was full length trains, lots of action as in running and passing by and to use my other passion of filming them. :trains:

Space was not a big problem as I was putting it into the loft but I had to first floor out the loft and insulate the best I could.

Next I built the bace boards, some at 3ft wide and some at 2ft wide depending on access to the far side of the board.

I also wanted an upper and lower level.

After some of the boards were made and fixed in place I then just placed track and points on the boards, put some stock on the track, place in some platforms and away I went.

Stand back and admire, is this what I want, if not just relay.

The other thing I tried to take into consideration was the points position in regards to the bace boards bracing.

If you are going to use under board point motors the last thing you want is a wooden brace in the way.

Take a look at some of the pictures and videos on this site and on uTube that will give you the inspiration for what you want.

Loads of people on this site will give you any help you need but it needs to be YOUR layout and design, thats the whole point of YOUR layout.

Take inspiration from others to do your own thing.

Good luck and you know where we are for your help and guidance.

Wiggy.

Yeah sorry if I forced that plan on you! Just seeing what I could make out of that space, but it's entirely up to you and if you do like the look of it you can build something like it!

One thing is to go over you plan many times and try to get it perfect then rather than ripping up track that's been wired and ballasted

And when you get going take your time and don't rush and if your not completely sure how to do something ask or watch a tutorial

• 2 weeks later...